It's low when you get high

Started by hcrum87hc, October 11, 2019, 15:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcrum87hc

I'm hesitant to post any TRs anymore after some of the recent ones Yaller has posted.  Makes me ashamed to post my word vomit.

My buddy and I decided to play hooky yesterday and brave the low waters up high.  We got to the parking area and only saw one vehicle, which was covered in morning dew, meaning they were campers and likely not fishing.  Our goal was to cover as much ground as possible, hoping for a wild slam, which has been a goal of mine for a while now.  I wasn't sure there were browns in this river, but I knew it's tributaries held them, so I was hopeful. 

With it starting off in the low 50s, but projected to reach high 60s, I decided to wet wade.  It was probably the coolest temp I've wet waded in, but I never felt cold and will continue the practice in colder weather in the future.  I know I was sure glad I did when we had to hoof it out. 

We probably should have hiked in a bit farther before fishing, but we decided to hit the water pretty quickly.  I put in at the first hole around 9:30 and hooked up on this guy, the first of many this size.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

My buddy moved on up several holes above me, and I fished up until I reached his put in, then got out to move ahead of him, catching another small bow on the way.

When I caught up to him, he was at the base of a decent sized waterfall.  I asked him how his luck had been, and he told me he'd caught a small brookie.  When I scoffed in unbelief, I asked for proof.  He provided this picture:

I informed him he had actually caught his first wild brown, which confirmed to me that I could, in fact, catch a wild slam here.

I moved up to a nice shaded pool at the top of the falls and threw in a few times.  On my third drift, I had a hard take on my dry.  I could tell it was a decent fish, and when I tried to strip it in, my line wouldn't come in.  Somehow it had gotten wrapped around the rod tip.  Instead of untangling it, I kept the rod up and starting pulling in line hand over fist as best I could.  I lost tension at one point and thought I lost it, but alas I managed to get this fella in.

I was really proud of that one, considering the river size and the hole he was in. 

We continued to leap frog one another, moving upstream.  I continued to catch a few small bows and finally hooked my own little brown, moving me closer to our goal.

When I sat down for lunch, I couldn't help but take in how wonderful the day was.  The leaves were starting to change and fall, a nice breeze kept it crisp and cool along with some slight cloud cover.  It actually felt like my favorite part of the year had arrived.

We continued to move upstream, hooking mostly rainbows on dries and a few more small browns on the droppers.

I caught this buttery beauty at the top of the above run.  It slammed my fly, coming completely out of the water.  It jumped again before I got it in. 

Moving on up and getting closer to walk out time, things were looking a little more brookie-ish, but the fish had slowed down.

I reached one final hole and decided it was time to turn back after fishing it, hoping to see some beautiful blue spots and orange bellies. On the first cast, something took the dropper.  Sadly, the slam was not to be yesterday, but now I know it's possible and will return to accomplish it one day.

Jeremiah 17:7

Dee-Vo

That feeling you got when you wrangled that larger rainbow in -- it's a good feeling. Most folks don't fathom the elation afforded a fisherman when a fine fish like that is pulled from a small flow of water. Personally, most of my more prized trophy fish weren't any larger than maybe 14". Fooling them, and dragging them from the depths of a 10-20' wide stream in the remoteness of the wilderness is the magic.

Yallerhammer

Good report, nice fish, and great pics! Thanks! It's a beautiful time of year to be out in the water.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Stone-Man

Nice report about some really good fishing. I wish that our streams had 1/2 that much water in them. looks like a tuff as hell place to fish. All those big uneven rocks make my back hurt just looking at them  :o
Thanks for sharing

JT

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Stone-Man on October 12, 2019, 14:20:40 PMAll those big uneven rocks make my back hurt just looking at them  :o

That reminds me; I busted it on one of those rocks. I had already stepped forward with my right leg and my left one was behind me and started slipping on a super smooth rock. I managed to pick my foot up and reset it before going down, but I only managed to put it back on the same rock.

Tossed my rod in front of me so I wouldn't fall on it and caught myself somewhat with my hands. Thankfully nothing broke in my sling pack or on my body.

Woolly Bugger

Sweet. Nice to have the cooler weather!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Still some decent water for conditions we've had. 

Unrelated note.  Did you see Dan Tope's Lucky Seven drop? 

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Dee-Vo on October 11, 2019, 15:30:16 PMThat feeling you got when you wrangled that larger rainbow in -- it's a good feeling. Most folks don't fathom the elation afforded a fisherman when a fine fish like that is pulled from a small flow of water. Personally, most of my more prized trophy fish weren't any larger than maybe 14". Fooling them, and dragging them from the depths of a 10-20' wide stream in the remoteness of the wilderness is the magic.

Truth.  My coworkers are always asking me where the pictures of the big fish are.  They don't understand the feeling you get when you fool a nice quality fish out of a small wild stream in the middle of nowhere.  I've tried to explain it, but I don't know that there are words to convey the feeling to someone who hasn't experienced it firsthand.

Quote from: Big J on October 14, 2019, 07:53:15 AMUnrelated note.  Did you see Dan Tope's Lucky Seven drop? 

I didn't, but I see now that DLT still has a good bit of them.  I've been toting a Carother's FK2 recently.  I've been really happy with it. I sold my Dark Timber 1911, which I used to carry when outdoors.

Big J

Quote from: hcrum87hc on October 14, 2019, 09:02:46 AM
Quote from: Big J on October 14, 2019, 07:53:15 AMUnrelated note.  Did you see Dan Tope's Lucky Seven drop?

I didn't, but I see now that DLT still has a good bit of them.  I've been toting a Carother's FK2 recently.  I've been really happy with it. I sold my Dark Timber 1911, which I used to carry when outdoors.

That DT 1911 was a big blade for hiking.  I really like the 3-3.5" knifes for fishing.  Those Lucky Seven's have a 3.47" blade and a 7" length.  Think it'll make a good lightweight fishing knife and in 3V, Lord knows it'll take some abuse.

See that FK2 is in 3V also.  Good carbon steel.  My Bushcrafter 2 is in it and it performs well. Good carbon steel for being around water considering it's probably one of the most rust resistant carbon steels on the market.

Dougfish

Jelly. I won't even try our small streams.
My regular slam stream is November? ready.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

Quote from: Dougfish on October 14, 2019, 18:37:51 PMJelly. I won't even try our small streams.

Doug, you may remember fishing the stream in this report on MUCH higher water before. 
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

hcrum87hc

Quote from: The Dude on October 15, 2019, 06:30:46 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on October 14, 2019, 18:37:51 PMJelly. I won't even try our small streams.

Doug, you may remember fishing the stream in this report on MUCH higher water before. 

There's some great water farther up.  The tribs especially.

Dougfish

Quote from: The Dude on October 15, 2019, 06:30:46 AMDoug, you may remember fishing the stream in this report on MUCH higher water before. 

Oh, THAT stream. Jeebus.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

Quote from: Dougfish on October 15, 2019, 07:57:59 AM
Quote from: The Dude on October 15, 2019, 06:30:46 AMDoug, you may remember fishing the stream in this report on MUCH higher water before. 

Oh, THAT stream. Jeebus.

"Doug's Nemesis Stream"
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

hcrum87hc

Quote from: The Dude on October 15, 2019, 08:02:34 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on October 15, 2019, 07:57:59 AM

Oh, THAT stream. Jeebus.

"Doug's Nemesis Stream"

Sounds like there's a story there.