Summer Brookies and Otters

Started by Big J, August 26, 2019, 08:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Good stuff! The otters are fascinating critters, but they're playing hell on the bigger trout around here. According to the biologists, they only eat "rough fish" and crawfish. Bullshit. If you've ever sat and watched one or a pair working a trout stream, you see what they come up with in their mouth every minute or two. And it ain't "rough fish." Look at their toilets on mossy rocks beside the creek, too. I also catch a lot of trout every year now with big teeth gashes on them.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 30, 2019, 11:32:25 AMGood stuff! The otters are fascinating critters, but they're playing hell on the bigger trout around here. According to the biologists, they only eat "rough fish" and crawfish. Bullshit. If you've ever sat and watched one or a pair working a trout stream, you see what they come up with in their mouth every minute or two. And it ain't "rough fish." Look at their toilets on mossy rocks beside the creek, too. I also catch a lot of trout every year now with big teeth gashes on them.

I know biologist and the state would lose their crap with this next statement, but it's how I feel.  I hope bubba up there on that stream removes the otters before too long.  I understand historically otters had a role in Virginia, but with the current reduced ranges of brook trout, I do not want them on the small streams. 

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Big J on September 04, 2019, 08:52:00 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 30, 2019, 11:32:25 AMGood stuff! The otters are fascinating critters, but they're playing hell on the bigger trout around here. According to the biologists, they only eat "rough fish" and crawfish. Bullshit. If you've ever sat and watched one or a pair working a trout stream, you see what they come up with in their mouth every minute or two. And it ain't "rough fish." Look at their toilets on mossy rocks beside the creek, too. I also catch a lot of trout every year now with big teeth gashes on them.

I know biologist and the state would lose their crap with this next statement, but it's how I feel.  I hope bubba up there on that stream removes the otters before too long.  I understand historically otters had a role in Virginia, but with the current reduced ranges of brook trout, I do not want them on the small streams. 

You can legally trap them here now, except for in the national park , of course. There are a lot of trout farms around here, and the otters have played holy hell with them for sure. A lot of our small creeks here would greatly benefit from some thinning out to be honest, seems like since everybody is into catch and release now, they are filled to the brim with 6"-7" fish now, instead of a better size mix like it used to be when most folks kept their limits. Only problem is that it seems like the otters target the bigger fish instead of the smaller ones.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

Quote from: Yallerhammer on September 04, 2019, 09:15:30 AMYou can legally trap them here now, except for in the national park , of course. There are a lot of trout farms around here, and the otters have played holy hell with them for sure. A lot of our small creeks here would greatly benefit from some thinning out to be honest, seems like since everybody is into catch and release now, they are filled to the brim with 6"-7" fish now, instead of a better size mix like it used to be when most folks kept their limits. Only problem is that it seems like the otters target the bigger fish instead of the smaller ones.

Looks like you can trap them in VA too.  No limit east of Blue Ridge Mountains, Limit of 4 west of Blue Ridge Mountains.