Summer Brookies and Otters

Started by Big J, August 26, 2019, 08:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Was supposed to take a Father and Son fly fishing for the first time, but weather on the location we were supposed to go was iffy for them and they had to be back home by a certain time so that plan fell through.  Was still planning on heading south and fishing through the morning showers, but was dragging in the morning, wife "would like" if I was home to go to her grandmother's monthly family dinner across town, and I got 15 minutes down the road and had to turn back to retrieve my wallet.  Leaving the house for the second time I said screw it and hit a nearby stream knowing it would skinny and with the idea I'd hike up to headwaters just to check out what the conditions are like up top in the summer.  It had been about two years since I've been up there and I've always been curious what the water levels stayed up there. 

First surprise though was when I parked I saw a lot of commotion in the pool across from where I parked.  Got closer and realized it was two otters just going to town in the pool working it for food.  Watched them from a distance for a few minutes and went in closer for a picture and this is all I got before they saw me, dived and didn't return up.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

This is how silted up the pool was from them working the bottom.  Very disappointed to see two otters living on this small brookie stream.  Lord knows they will put a hurting on the population of trout down there. Very hesitant on the reintroduction of these otters and promotion of their presence.  The amount of fish they consume and the reduction of native range of trout in the first place concerns me. 

Caught quite a few, but all were small.  What I was expecting.

But they sure are easy on the eyes.

Glamour shot. 

Lots of these eastern newts. 

Few of these mayflies popping off.

Broke out the Cheetos and hiked up to headwaters.  My diet is like a kindergartener.

Saw one odd ball caddis the whole day.

This guy smacked me in the face as I was hiking up. 

Working my way to falls.  Picks up some elevation fast here.

And there was about 4 trees that all came down at the V on top of the falls. A pain in the rear to get around.  Almost turned back.

Up top, plenty of eager fish.  Funny how they behave different too up here.  Down low the takes were slow and it was one shot chances at hook ups.  If a fish took the dropper or dry, even if you didn't sting them, they were not looking at your fly again down low.  Up top, the fish would take a fly 6-7 times in a row with reckless abandon.

Pool I caught my first brook trout out of.  Nostalgic to be back.

Especially catching one on a dry out of there like my first time. 

Oh the stinging nettle.  Realized why the upper reaches don't get fished that much.

Pretty sure this is one of those poisonous white hickory tussock moth caterpillars.  Mudwall can correct me if I'm wrong.

Phil

Sweet!!  'c;   /'/   I haven't been brookie fishin' in a couple of months letting the water temps around here lower a bit. Good to see some pics of my favorites again!
With a few cooler days and nights here, I'm about ready to go out again.

Dougfish

Nice.  -0-
I hate otters. I saw 2 on the Smiff Friday am.  b';  n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

Good stuff.....it's certainly tough being a brook trout with otters as your neighbors.

greg

Onslow

It's great to sneak out when life has our nuts in a vise.

One of those miserable caterpillars landed on between my neck and shirt collar on Sunday's trip.  The result is a neck covered with welts.

The Dude

Those Cheetos are made with REAL Cheese!  And they are baked.  So, it was pretty much a healthy meal, right?

Also, what fly rod were you fishing there?
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Al

Great photography - you and Woolly need to collaborate in a coffee table photo book.

Big J

Quote from: The Dude on August 27, 2019, 06:17:14 AMThose Cheetos are made with REAL Cheese!  And they are baked.  So, it was pretty much a healthy meal, right?

Also, what fly rod were you fishing there?

It's an Okuma SLV 4wt. I bought it off Petey 6 years ago. Believe it is either a 7'9" or a 8'6". Can't remember. For a cheap beater small stream rod, it's great.

Big J

Quote from: Onslow on August 27, 2019, 05:42:20 AMIt's great to sneak out when life has our nuts in a vise.

One of those miserable caterpillars landed on between my neck and shirt collar on Sunday's trip.  The result is a neck covered with welts.

How long does/is the reaction lasting?

Onslow

Oddly enough, the welts did not show up until 12 hours later (Monday AM).  Still have em, but I believe some subsiding has taken place this morning.

driver

Quote from: Dougfish on August 26, 2019, 11:44:13 AMNice.  -0-
I hate otters. I saw 2 on the Smiff Friday am.  b';  n!n

Saw a family of 5 when i was the a couple weeks ago.

It's nice when you can drive a short ways down the the road and have all of that. I hope those otters don't clean it out to much.

hcrum87hc

Quote from: driver on August 27, 2019, 08:38:18 AMIt's nice when you can drive a short ways down the the road and have all of that. I hope those otters don't clean it out to much.

No joke.  I'm about 1.5 hours from any solid brookie water.  It certainly doesn't keep me from chasing them, but it sure would be easier if I was closer.
Jeremiah 17:7

Phil

I gotta say I'm lucky to live where several brook trout streams are less than 8 miles away.