NEW unlimited Mousing for Trout at Night

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 22, 2019, 08:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I'll get this started with a little video shot in Michigan. Spork is determined to mouse up a big brown in our local rivers. With four trips under his belt his has yet to bring one to the boat.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

We tried night fishing with big top water flies years ago on the Smith, in the Mirror Pool, in the Scum Sucker Pool (that deep pool/glide half way down the riffle area below the Mirror Pool), and in the Left Hander Pool (the next pool downstream, that shallow pool with deeper cervices towards the tail on the right descending side).  No Luck!!!  We did freeze our asses off; that is all I remember.

Plus, we'd stay late to see if we could catch the yellow spinner fall.  Again, frozen nuts, so we started referring to the futile exercise as waiting for the 'scrotum fall'.   

PS:  Good luck with the twilight mousing.

https://tinyurl.com/y5ae44d7
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

A decade ago and before, I caught and kept.  Of all the years fishing for smallies, largemouth, trout, roanoke bass, there was only one occasion where a mouse was found in the stomach of a fish, and that fish happened to be a Roanoke. 99 percent of all items in all largemouth, smallies, and Roanokes were crawfish.  The trout tended to lean more towards hemlock needles (stockers), or chubs/stonerollers for wild browns and bows. 

Vid is nothing more than some silly bro nonsense.

Phil

Blake Boyd specialized in night fishing on the SoHo some years back. Sadly I never went. Enormouse browns (every once in a while).

Fishbug

Seen all the usual vids

I want in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driver

Quote from: Onslow on July 22, 2019, 11:45:40 AMA decade ago and before, I caught and kept.  Of all the years fishing for smallies, largemouth, trout, roanoke bass, there was only one occasion where a mouse was found in the stomach of a fish, and that fish happened to be a Roanoke. 99 percent of all items in all largemouth, smallies, and Roanokes were crawfish.  The trout tended to lean more towards hemlock needles (stockers), or chubs/stonerollers for wild browns and bows. 

My dad is a taxidermist. And he has mounted a astronomical about of LMB. And the craziest things he has told me he has found are a baby muskrat and a duckling. The amount of soft plastics found in stomachs is mind blowing. I kept a slot redfish once that had 4 Gulp Shrimp bodies in it stomach.

Dougfish

Quote from: Fishbug on July 22, 2019, 14:05:54 PMSeen all the usual vids

I want in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says the otter snagger... :laugh:   V:;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Here is an Orvis podcast Mousing for Trout, with Joe Cermele from October 2017. The interview starts about 122 way through after the mail bag questions.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-orvis-fly-fishing-guide-podcast/id278930814?i=1000394062244
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on July 22, 2019, 11:45:40 AMA decade ago and before, I caught and kept.  Of all the years fishing for smallies, largemouth, trout, roanoke bass, there was only one occasion where a mouse was found in the stomach of a fish, and that fish happened to be a Roanoke. 99 percent of all items in all largemouth, smallies, and Roanokes were crawfish.  The trout tended to lean more towards hemlock needles (stockers), or chubs/stonerollers for wild browns and bows. 

better vid for you Onslow...

me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 22, 2019, 19:15:06 PMHere is an Orvis podcast Mousing for Trout, with Joe Cermele from October 2017. The interview starts about 122 way through after the mail bag questions.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-orvis-fly-fishing-guide-podcast/id278930814?i=1000394062244

I listened to that one about a month ago. It made me actually go home and tie a couple of big fuzzy flies to match the rodent hatch, but I haven't tried it yet.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

better video from the orginal tyer...

me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Yep, that's the pattern. I bet it would juke some smallmouths, too.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?