• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
September 17, 2019, 04:31:39 am

News:

NC Delayed Harvest Trout Waters Open to Harvest June 1, 2019

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 2316
Latest: 10and2
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 1
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 146015
Total Topics: 14104
Most Online Today: 654
Most Online Ever: 832
(March 08, 2019, 15:41:24 pm)
Users Online
Members: 27
Guests: 626
Total: 653

Mossy Creek Article

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 11, 2019, 11:53:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Not worth it. Why would you travel over 3 hours to catch stocked trout in a cow poop stream.
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." Hemingway

Big J

Cowboy has stories about going down there and throwing handfuls of pellets in the stream and the run boiling with trout scarfing down the pellets. Says it really gets the fishermen angry who claim they are now wild trout because they have been in there so long.
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end." Hemingway

Dougfish

I never fish it anymore. Once upon a time the kept thecattle fenced out. Not anymore. And it gets pimped out worse than any water I know.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " <br />-Oddball, 1970

Phil

Quote from: Big J on July 11, 2019, 12:46:47 pmCowboy has stories about going down there and throwing handfuls of pellets in the stream and the run boiling with trout scarfing down the pellets. Says it really gets the fishermen angry who claim they are now wild trout because they have been in there so long.

You mean them trout "went native?" Heh. That's what I've heard old-timers say.

Beetle

That's quite a head of hair Gerald has.....

Onslow

I wouldn't drive 20 minutes to that POS water.  Driving to the Cape Fear, floating/fishing from Buckhorn dam to Lillington, and camping at Raven Rock would be awesome.

Yallerhammer

July 12, 2019, 09:01:19 am #8 Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:04:06 am by Yallerhammer
Quote from: Dougfish on July 11, 2019, 14:07:31 pmI never fish it anymore. Once upon a time the kept thecattle fenced out. Not anymore. And it gets pimped out worse than any water I know.

So, there are cattle running up and down the banks and through the creek, but they won't let you wade?

"Wading is not allowed. All fishing must be done from the bank to avoid damaging the stream or its insect populations which the trout count on to thrive."

That's weird, to say the least.

If I wanted to fight the crowds to fish a place like that, I'd hit the Davidson or the trophy water at Cherokee. I can be on either one in about 45 minutes or less; but I hardly ever fish the D, and have never fished the Cherokee trophy water.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me.<br /><br />Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 12, 2019, 09:01:19 am
Quote from: Dougfish on July 11, 2019, 14:07:31 pmI never fish it anymore. Once upon a time the kept thecattle fenced out. Not anymore. And it gets pimped out worse than any water I know.

So, there are cattle running up and down the banks and through the creek, but they won't let you wade?

"Wading is not allowed. All fishing must be done from the bank to avoid damaging the stream or its insect populations which the trout count on to thrive."

If I wanted to fight the crowds to fish a place like that, I'd hit the Davidson or the trophy water at Cherokee. I can be on either one in about 45 minutes or less; but I hardly ever fish the D, and have never fished the Cherokee trophy water.

+2 on what Yaller said, except I've never fished the Davidson (or wanted to) and only tried the Cherokee crap once. That was enough.

Big J

It's more so that the stream is unwadable.  You step in that stream and you'd sink into 3 ft of mud and cow dung.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Phil on July 12, 2019, 09:12:41 am
Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 12, 2019, 09:01:19 am

+2 on what Yaller said, except I've never fished the Davidson (or wanted to) and only tried the Cherokee crap once. That was enough.

If you ignore the part of the Davidson that everybody else fishes and go way upstream or hit the tributaries, there is some really good small-stream fishing over there. And almost nobody else fishing it.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Big J on July 12, 2019, 09:14:41 amIt's more so that the stream is unwadable.  You step in that stream and you'd sink into 3 ft of mud and cow dung.

Sounds like the "insect population" they talk about is probably mostly flies. :D

Dougfish

Yep, tis wierd.
And fukked up.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " <br />-Oddball, 1970

Phil

July 12, 2019, 09:22:05 am #14 Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:27:00 am by Phil
"If you ignore the part of the Davidson that everybody else fishes and go way upstream or hit the tributaries, there is some really good small-stream fishing over there. And almost nobody else fishing it."

Good to know. The crowd thing kept me from looking at it.
As far as Cherokee trophy water -- I caught a big huge "golden trout" or whatever it was called there the one time I fished it (among other stockers). That was the ugliest excuse for a trout I've ever seen.  :o

<edit> Sorry to stray from the topic.

+-Recent Topics

Change of pace... by Woolly Bugger
September 16, 2019, 22:00:58 pm

Smith-Continued by Woolly Bugger
September 16, 2019, 21:09:29 pm

Drought Conditions Here by Onslow
September 16, 2019, 21:05:08 pm

Hot, Low Water, and a Few by Yallerhammer
September 14, 2019, 06:19:56 am

Free Beer and materials at Orvis GSO fly of the month tying by Dougfish
September 13, 2019, 15:09:47 pm