Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 01, 2019, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Researchers probe threats to salmonfly, a foundational bug

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>Jackson Birrell waded through thigh-deep water on a bucolic late-spring day last week, but unlike other anglers venturing into the swollen churn of spring melt, Birrell wasn't seeking trout: He was instead looking for one of their seasonal delicacies, the giant salmonfly.

Each year in late May and early June, trout feast and anglers flock to waterways for the giant salmonfly hatch, when the ecologically vital bugs emerge from streams as nymphs and hatch out of the water into winged adults before reproducing and dying, leaving behind only the "shucks" they emerged from clinging to brush on the shoreline.

Growing up to 3 inches long, adult giant salmonflies are the largest of the stonefly family. They are so substantial that osprey, which generally consume fish, have been observed snatching up airborne salmonflies. As giant salmonfly populations decline in some streams across the West, Birrell and James Frakes, both researchers at University of Montana, are trying to understand what factors affect a bug that is essential to trout and the economies of fishing towns.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/researchers-probe-threats-to-salmonfly-a-foundational-bug/article_19408807-daba-5ce1-8747-66c87a4ec5fd.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

88-year-old gives young angler the fly-fishing rod he made as a teen

>>>In support of his new hobby of fly fishing, 11-year-old Eli Billard from Moncton received a special fishing rod as a gift.

Made with four pieces of bamboo and about six feet long, the fishing rod was handmade by Pat Gillespie, who is now 88 but made the rod when he was just 16.

Gillespie said he threaded and varnished the rod himself, and it was used to fish many rivers in New Brunswick. His hope is that Eli "enjoys it as much as I did over the years."

Gillespie learned about Eli's new love for fly fishing through a community pastoral letter delivered to his door in early June by Eli's father, Aaron Billard, the minister at St. John's United Church in Moncton.

In the letter, Billard said he and his son were on a fishing trip along the Molus River, a tributary of the Richibucto, when a friend showed Eli how to fly fish and cast.

"You could just see this passion spark in Eli about the joy of this moment of learning how to cast. ... When he finally got it right, it was just this beautiful moment along a beautiful river in New Brunswick on a beautiful evening."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/generous-gift-for-a-new-fly-fishing-loving-little-boy-1.6500335
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

The legendary story of the Colonel Potter will get you hooked on the history of fly-fishing in SA

>>>For close to 50 years, it remained the Potter family's best-kept secret. A secret forged from a twist of a chicken feather, a couple of turns of chenille yarn and a good measure of skill.

Added too are the two cock feathers that make the tail and if all is done right, it transforms into a deadly trout fly. It is called the Colonel Potter and its inventor, Dr Charles Potter, used it to take trophy fish in the streams that cut through eastern Mpumalanga.

When Potter and his two sons went on fishing trips across the country, their fly went too and it didn't disappoint. It kept taking big fish, in the high mountain dams and rivers of the Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal and the eastern Free State.

When Potter's son Luke was 11 he won the South African Fly Fishing Association cup after he pulled a five-and-half-pound (about 2.5kg) trout from the Spekboom River in Mpumalanga. The big fish fell to a Colonel Potter.

But in January 2019 tragedy struck the Potter family when Luke, their eldest son, was killed in a terrorist attack in Nairobi, Kenya. Following the death of his son, Potter decided he would reveal the.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2022-06-27-time-and-ties-wait-for-no-fisherman-the-lure-that-tells-the-story-of-fly-fishing/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Henry Winkler Catching Trout Is The Hottest Trend This Season
The fly-fishing Fonz is an internet sensation.

>>>An old expression goes that if you give a man a fish he eats for a day, but if you teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime. But when Henry Winkler holds aloft his fish, the internet goes crazy.

Winkler, iconic for his role as the epitome of greaser cool Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli on Happy Days and now enjoying a career bounce as acting teacher Gene Cousineau opposite Bill Hader on Barry, discovered the joys of fly fishing in the early 1990s. Growing up, as he did, in New York City, meant not exploring the natural world too much until later in life. "I didn't know when I was younger how much I was going to love the river," he told Inside Hook about his adventures in Idaho and Montana, pursuing trout.

"You have to be very patient and you have to play the fish. You have to gently move it from side to side. You gently have to keep it coming toward your boat. You have to feel the slightest tug and let the fish go, because sometimes the fish is very big and has a terrific fight," the 76-year-old actor said, describing his pastime.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/07/henry-winkler-catching-trout-is-the-hottest-trend-this-season

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Rock Legend Huey Lewis Takes His Love Of Fishing (And Fish) To The Giant Screen

>>>For Chicago-based Max McGraw Wildlife Foundation and the Native Fish Society—a conservation organization headquartered in Portland—a chance to showcase these important species and their value to both people and the broader ecosystem in a giant screen IMAX format is an opportunity to reach millions of leaders and future leaders through an unmatched format. The groups have teamed up, along with Lewis, to announce the production of Upstream: The Journey Home, a global giant-screen and IMAX film event.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisdorsey/2022/07/28/rock-legend-huey-lewis-takes-his-love-of-fishing-and-fish-to-the-giant-screen/?sh=7c36d2e0623e

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

I look forward to seeing the film. I'm not sure about calling Lewis a rock ledgend?  Huey made crappy pop music. :drum  <-;:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

DRBA improves South Martinsville River Access

A local Smith River access point has been improved to make it easier to use, whether for getting boats in and out of the water, or just having a picnic lunch.

Dan River Basin Association (DRBA) held a ribbon cutting Wednesday for the Riverside Family Area at the South Martinsville River Access at 280 Tensbury Drive, and held family fun activities and demonstrations afterward.

A small crowd of around 20 adults and children joined DRBA staff for the ribbon cutting, live snakes and macroinvertebrates, some educational booklets and a paddle in the river.

Through a grant from The Community Foundation Serving Western Virginia and Monogram Loves Kids Foundation, DRBA was able to completely transform the river access area. DRBA Education Outreach Manager Krista Hodges said that eight months ago the access had brick steps that were unsafe and unstable, which made it difficult for people to get their boats into the water

https://martinsvillebulletin.com/news/local/drba-improves-south-martinsville-river-access/article_ed4b9254-142d-11ed-90d6-6fba7abde2ef.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

California Fire and Floods Turn a River to 'Sludge,' Killing Thousands of Fish

>>>As a deadly fire continued to burn last week in the Klamath National Forest in Northern California, Kenneth Brink, a local fisherman, counted dead fish in a river that had turned to the consistency of "chocolate milk."

Mr. Brink, 45, a member of the Karuk Tribe, lives in Happy Camp, a town of less than 900 people on the Klamath River, in Siskiyou County, Calif. The town is near the border with Oregon. On Friday, he drove about 20 miles upstream, where he made the grim discovery: thousands of dead suckerfish, salmon and trout, many floating belly up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/08/us/mckinney-fire-fish-california-oregon.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Partnership restores brook trout in five ponds within five years

A fine mist rolled off the surface of Round Pond as morning dawned over the White Mountain National Forest in Albany, Maine. An elderly man and his granddaughter carried a red Old Town canoe down the gravel embankment, fly fishing rods in hand. Somewhere in the distance, a brook trout broke through the lake's mirror-like surface in pursuit of a mayfly.

Native brook trout, with their characteristic orange underbelly and speckled sides, are a highly valued fish in the eastern United States. (Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife photo)
Floating on Round Pond today, it is hard to believe that just a few years ago the brook trout that now teem in abundance were almost impossible to find here. This pond and the surrounding drainage were instead filled with fish like shiners and black bullheads.

In 2011, with the help of Trout Unlimited and cooperation from the Forest Service, Maine's Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife began an ambitious reclamation project. The program, called the "5-in-5," reclaimed five ponds in and around the White Mountain National Forest for native brook trout in just 5 years.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/features/partnership-restores-brook-trout-five-ponds-within-five-years
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The following is excerpted from Dylan Tomine's wonderful new book, Headwaters: The Adventures, Obsession and Evolution of a Fly Fisherman. We ran a different excerpt in a recent print issue of AJ, and wanted to share some with our digital readers too. Tomine has a wonderfully self-aware, bordering of self-effacing, writing style, making the very difficult and complicated world of fly fishing for steelhead accessible to people who've never even considered wetting a fly. We hope you enjoy this piece, a link to purchase the book from the publisher follows. – Ed.

OK, I'm just going to come right out and say it: I sucked at guiding. Oh, my clients caught plenty of fish. But if I were a doctor, you might say I had a lousy bedside manner. Or what an old coach of mine often referred to as a "piss-poor attitude." The fact is, I could never stop thinking about whether or not various clients deserved to catch fish just because they could afford to travel and stay at an expensive lodge. That, and I was frequently impatient. And sarcastic. And irritable. But enough about my good days. I guess I thought guiding was about fish, and it turns out it's about people. No matter how dumb they might be.

I tried to be a nice guy. I would tell myself these people are on the trip of a lifetime, that they were too busy to learn how to actually fish, that blah, blah, blah. It's not like I'm a completely unsympathetic person. For example, when a client described his long-anticipated fishing trip with a famous Florida tarpon guide and how he found himself unceremoniously deposited back at the dock at ten o'clock in the morning for blowing two shots at big fish, I was filled with sympathy. For the guide.

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2022/08/the-worst-guide-in-the-world/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Middle Fork of the St. Vrain River and a few perfect trout

John Gierach has fished the St. Vrain River for all of his adult life. (Ed Engle/Courtesy photo)

John Gierach is a patient man. He was all geared up and ready to fish. Meanwhile, my stuff was scattered all over the tailgate of his truck, which we'd parked along the Middle Fork of the St. Vrain River.

This season I'd taken it upon myself to simplify my fly fishing, which translates roughly to reducing the amount of junk I carry on the stream for a day of fishing. This was the first trip where I'd put these ideas into practice. I would carry one fly box, some spare tippet material (4X and 5X for a small streams), nippers, fly floatant and a few other essential do-dads.

I wasn't going to use a fishing vest or hip pack to carry the stuff. I wanted it to fit in the pockets of my shirt. If there was any overflow, I had room in my cargo pants that would be accessible since I was wearing hip waders.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2022/09/09/the-middle-fork-of-the-st-vrain-river-and-a-few-perfect-trout/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

QuoteYou might remember PLC's brook trout rescue but effort last June 2021. We moved 97 fish from a negatively impacted portion of Ramey Creek to a rescue reach tributary on PLC land.

Last fall we saw signs that the fish were still there after six months and that the males had breeding coloration and some fish nests were under construction. The data loggers embedded in the creek showed that the water temperature stayed quite cold all summer, even colder than where the trout were rescued from. These were great signs that our rescue attempt might be favorable.

The proof of our success was confirmed on the last day of spring in 2022, a little over a year since the movement of the fish into their new home. This June N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission biologists found that the brook trout bred successfully! There are small, young-of-the-year fish "all over the place" and they found some of the adults that we moved had grown significantly.

Both of these indicators and the continuing cold water temperatures, in spite of the hot weather, show that the habitat which looked promising is in fact providing the right food and habitat conditions the adults need for successful reproduction.

We're grateful to Lisa Sorg with NC Policy Watch for sharing these photos with us! Pictured: Wildlife Biologists with NC Wildlife Resources Commission evaluating the brook trout population after last year's rescue.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I shouldn't have called fly-fishing dumb
It's actually much worse than that, and you have to chase a mythical fish they call a "trout."

>>>Fly-fishermen are not very good at catching fish, but I have come to learn that they are exceptionally good at sending e-mails.

This unfortunate discovery occupied my inbox for much of the summer, after I wrote an article in which I referred to fly-fishing as "dumb" and "the most insufferable kind of fishing."

I realize now that I was wrong to say those things, for fly-fishing itself is not to blame. Instead, it is the fly-fishermen who are insufferable and dumb, as evidenced by the sheer number who dismissed my portrayal of fly-fishing as inaccurate even though I made it clear that I never caught any fish, which is an extremely accurate portrayal.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/09/12/metro/i-shouldnt-have-called-fly-fishing-dumb/

link to original article calling fly fishing dumb...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fly-fishing-is-dumb-change-my-mind/ar-AAZC8xI
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Water Temperature and Trout Behavior

Trout behaviour is affected by all-natural elements or events surrounding each fish. These events change all the time, requiring suitable responses from trout in order to survive. Water is a very sensitive medium, relaying scent, temperature, barometer pressure, vibrations, and sound (three times faster) more quickly and effectively than air. Trout respond to these messages quickly, too. Here is a look at some of the secrets of water temperature and trout behavior.

Water temperature and barometer pressure have profound effects on trout, changing day-to-day living patterns, yearly living cycles, and species distribution.

The optimum water temperature for trout is 14 degrees Celsius with a comfort range of 10 degrees to 18 degrees. Below 10 degrees, trout metabolism slows down, making the fish sluggish or torpid. Above 20 degrees, lower dissolved oxygen levels slow trout activity. Over 23 degrees trout become stressed, while at temperatures around 25 degrees, they can die.

Trout, therefore, are constantly moving locations to find the most preferred temperatures, and/or better feeding situations influenced by temperature.

Brown trout generally can tolerate wider ranges in temperature than Rainbows. Winter water temperatures influence trout distribution more than summer temperatures, with Browns spawning in water under 10 degrees and Rainbows in slightly warmer water.

https://fishingmag.co.nz/trout-fishing-new-zealand/fly-fishing-new-zealand/water-temperature-and-trout-behavior
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The rock-hurling spat that could upend Colorado's river access rules
The Colorado Supreme Court will wade into a technical aspect in angler Roger Hill's lawsuit arguing Colorado rivers are public property if they were used for commercial activity – like floating timber – at statehood

It's been more than a decade since a riverside property owner hurled rocks at angler Roger Hill as he waded and stalked trout in the Arkansas River above the Royal Gorge.

The ripples from that splashy spat could upset Colorado's murky river access rules.

The Colorado Supreme Court this week decided it would take up the case of Hill, an 80-year-old angler who is suing the landowner who threatened him, arguing that landowners can't own riverbeds and the public has a right to wade through waterways.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/the-rock-hurling-spat-that-could-upend-colorados-river-access-rules/
me -There's a season?