Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 01, 2019, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Plan would use poison to restore Yellowstone cutthroat trout

>>>Wyoming has launched a long-range plan to restore Yellowstone cutthroat trout to the Bighorn Basin and make parts of five watersheds the sensitive species' exclusive domain.

The Game and Fish Department earlier this year completed a conservation plan for the basin east of Yellowstone National Park that includes poisoning fish in the select drainages as part of Yellowstone cutthroat restoration. Non-native cousins like brook and rainbow trout are "the greatest threat" to Yellowstone cutthroat and "the greatest impediment" to their conservation, Game and Fish states in its plan.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Because rainbows cross-breed and produce hybridized "cut-bow" offspring, preserving true Yellowstone cutthroat requires maintaining numerous populations that are isolated from other species. "Headwater isolation" is the agency's preferred method of achieving the goal.

https://www.wyofile.com/plan-would-use-poison-to-restore-yellowstone-cutthroat-trout/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

A Woman's Journey Of Fly Fishing In Pisgah

Jessica Whitmire is pictured here with son, Waylon, and husband, Chris Franzen.

Transylvania County is well known for its forests, mountains and rivers, a natural wonderland that is open to all. Or is it? Jessica Whitmire will share a program, "A Woman's Journey of Fly Fishing in Pisgah: The Footprints We Leave," that shares her lifelong journey in the outdoor recreation in the county with a focus on Fly Fishing.

This session will be at the American Association of University Women (AAUW) monthly meeting at 7 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 9. The meeting will be held at St. Timothy's United Methodist Church, 1080 Asheville Highway, and the public is invited to attend. COVID-19 precautions will be taken, and all attendees are requested to wear masks to this meeting.

Many of us may not be familiar with fly-fishing other than watching as others are standing in the Davidson or French Broad rivers or other local streams. Fly Fishing may look complicated or seem to require patience, but practitioners tout its blend of nature, skill, beauty and fishing. Whether fishing alone or with others, one is trying to understand and appreciate the interactions across and within nature. It seems to pull one into the importance of guarding native species and promoting good water quality

https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/story/2021/11/01/outdoors/a-womans-journey-of-fly-fishing-in-pisgah/51735.html
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Noted author tells of family legacy, concern for the future in new Blackfoot River video

>>>MISSOULA — The Maclean Family is once more calling for passage of the Blackfoot Clearwater Stewardship Act, with noted author and fisherman John Maclean appearing in a new video where he calls the Act "good compromise legislation."

"It would help protect the upper reaches of the Monture Creek and the North Fork of the Blackfoot. These are vital spawning grounds for the Blackfoot," John Mclean says in the streamside interview.

https://www.ktvh.com/noted-author-tells-of-family-legacy-concern-for-the-future-in-new-blackfoot-river-video
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fish stranded after Hebgen Lake Dam glitch cuts off water to Madison River

>>>A dramatic plunge in the upper Madison River due to a problem at the Hebgen Lake Dam has stranded some fish and bodes ill for brown trout eggs resting in now exposed gravel.

"It was pretty ugly up there," said Kelly Galloup, owner of a fly-fishing shop close to the dam.

Overnight releases from the dam plunged from about 650 cubic feet per second to 195 cfs in a freefall recorded on U.S. Geological Survey's streamflow gauge below the dam. Likewise, the gauge recorded a sharp decline in the water temperature as it went from 39 degrees to 32 before rebounding to 34 degrees after the gauge was exposed to the air.

"NorthWestern thought it was a glitch in their gauge," Galloup said.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/fish-stranded-after-hebgen-lake-dam-glitch-cuts-off-water-to-madison-river/article_7f3050a4-4c27-5e38-a99a-386ceed2530c.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Bounty Grows On Brown Trout Caught Below Glen Canyon Dam

From now through the end of January anglers can earn added cash bonuses for participating in the Brown Trout Winter Bonanza. There will be a month-end bonus of $500 for the largest brown trout (determined by head length) and $500 for the most brown trout harvested from that particular stretch of the Colorado River. This is in addition to the $33 reward per brown trout, plus $50 for every three brown trout harvested during the month, and $300 for a brown trout caught with a PIT tag.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2021/12/bounty-grows-brown-trout-caught-below-glen-canyon-dam
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Pisgah's Setzer fish hatchery to expand; education building won't be rebuilt after flood

PISGAH NATIONAL FOREST, N.C. (WLOS) — The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission has announced the Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education board has voted not to rebuild the education building after it was destroyed by the flooding from Tropical Storm Fred in August.

Instead, the Bobby N. Setzer Fish Hatchery, which was virtually wiped out in the flooding as 67% of its trout population was lost, will be expanded. Trout production will also be increased.

With the change, the wildlife commission will implement a new educational model that best utilizes the talents of the education center's staff to conduct programs across Western North Carolina.

https://wlos.com/news/local/pisgah-bobby-setzer-fish-hatchery-expand-education-building-wont-be-rebuilt-after-flood
me -There's a season?

troutboy_II

Well, I guess that's OK, but what about the bathrooms?

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Dougfish

Quote from: troutboy_II on December 09, 2021, 11:02:37 AMWell, I guess that's OK, but what about the bathrooms?

No bathrooms will eliminate some fisherman? LOL.
I enjoy shitting in the woods.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Anglers credited with saving fellow fisherman on Elk Creek in Erie County

A fisherman is fortunate to be alive thanks to the other people along a stream in Girard Township, Erie County.

State Police Trooper Katelyn Blount said Wednesday evening that a man, estimated to be in his early 60s, was fishing shortly before noon on Dec. 3 when he slipped and fell into Elk Creek.

He hit his head and was floating in the river, she said, before other fishermen pulled him out of the water and started cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR.)

The incident happened along North Creek Road near the train bridge in Girard Township.

https://www.goerie.com/story/sports/outdoors/2021/12/09/anglers-saved-fellow-fisherman-elk-creek-erie-county-pennsylvania/6442576001/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutboy_II on December 09, 2021, 11:02:37 AMWell, I guess that's OK, but what about the bathrooms?

TB

I'll bet they put in port-a-johns ... might be there already ... heavy use area for hiking as well as fishing...
me -There's a season?

troutboy_II

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 10, 2021, 10:55:28 AM

TB

I'll bet they put in port-a-johns ... might be there already ... heavy use area for hiking as well as fishing...

You forget my fishing partner is Trout_Girl...

And, to be fair, at almost 72, a head is preferable to shitting in the woods. Just say'in.  :wave

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

Diver rescues cherished fly rod from reservoir's depths

>>> Ben Borcher was fishing in August with his son, Christian — just the two of them in a small raft on Cody Reservoir.

Alongside Ben was a very special fly-fishing rig. He had helped pick it out for his father's 59th birthday. It was the nicest fishing pole Lynn Borcher had ever owned.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jackson_hole_daily/state_and_regional/wynews/diver-rescues-cherished-fly-rod-from-reservoir-s-depths/article_6c9415ff-f8d4-513f-97ab-0e277807984f.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Flylords (Instagram) asked a question "who would you most like to fish with" John Gierach was the number one answer! No surprise there

They posted a short clip of John on the gram today

Screeshot
You cannot view this attachment.

He's getting old, like the rest of us!
me -There's a season?