News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 01, 2019, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Got a signed copy about a week ago. Half way in. Very good so far.

Woolly Bugger

Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter discuss their 'extraordinary' 75-year marriage

>>>At the same time, they also make an effort to "share as much as we possibly can," he said, from bird watching to skiing to, especially, fly fishing, which they have done in over a dozen countries, he said.

"We make a big one-week trip out of that," he said. "We have made that a major part of our recreation."

Jimmy Carter tells us that he and his wife were still routinely fly fishing at their home in Plains as late as last year.

"We're always looking to do things or find things we can do together, like fly fishing and bird watching and just going out to the pond, catch a fish," Rosalynn Carter said.

https://www.kake.com/story/44242361/jimmy-and-rosalynn-carter-discuss-their-extraordinary-75year-marriage
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Group helps Vietnam veteran get final wish: One last fish

>>>(WYFF/NBC News) — Spartanburg, South Carolina, based Veteran's Last Patrol recently collaborated with North Carolina fly-fishing stalwarts Davidson River Outfitters to fulfill a veteran's last wish: catching one last trout.

Robert J. Houk has Parkinson's disease and recently underwent heart surgery.

Doctors told him in April that he would not live to see May.

"They told me I wouldn't make it to dark," Houk remembers. "I showed them!"

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/group-helps-vietnam-veteran-get-final-wish-one-last-fish/article_227379a0-e35c-11eb-8621-2b860f2a65fd.html

Kudos to DRO --- watch the video in the link...
me -There's a season?

Big J

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 20, 2021, 09:32:48 AMFly fishing shop, guide service opens in Salem

Anew full-service fly shop and guide service has opened in Salem.

Carter Fishing Company specializes in fly fishing, offering customers the clothes, rods and reels necessary to head out to the water on their own or customized, guided trips if they want to bring an expert along.

Jeremy Carter, a Salem native, has experience working as a guide in North Carolina and Colorado — Carter actually met his wife when he was her guide on a fishing trip in Colorado.

A few years after returning to his hometown, Carter decided to open a local business to serve his own community.

"I've always felt like there was a need for it within the fly fishing community. We're right in the middle of some of the best fishing I think really in the country," he said.

https://roanoke.com/business/local/business-intel-fly-fishing-shop-guide-service-opens-in-salem/article_14c18842-ce12-11eb-b003-73e72ab75890.html

Ha! That is a few blocks away from my office and I had no idea it was there

Dougfish

I'm headed over in an hour, BTW.
Lunch at Joe's, J?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on July 15, 2021, 09:11:30 AMI'm headed over in an hour, BTW.
Lunch at Joe's, J?

Shop wasn't bad.  Hopefully he continues to expand and add some fly tying materials. 

Joe's Deli has the best sandwich in the Roanoke Valley.   V:;

driver

I just got a hard on looking at that sandwich. Durham has some world class food joints, but a deli isn't one of em.

Woolly Bugger

This is why we can't have nice things...

Ramey Creek/Roaring Fork Creek Brook Trout Stream
   Demise on Blue Ridge Parkway

>>>The big concerns are the Bottomley companies can use this land for agriculture for few years and then turn it into a real estate development circumventing all the permitting process, erosion control and scrutiny for such a huge development of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Also, other companies will learn the same tactic, buy huge swath of land anywhere, clear it, put some cattle or a corn field on it avoiding rules of the land and later turn it into multimillion-dollar houses. As long as that agriculture exemption is on the books, most government agencies will find themselves helpless to do anything until the damage is done and then can possibly file for violations.

https://www.blueridgetu.org/rameycreek.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Grayling Revival: Researchers hope to reintroduce a once-abundant native fish

>>>"The town of Grayling is actually named after the fish, and unfortunately the fish is no longer here," Nicole Watson said. "You see the pictures of grayling, the mounts of grayling, the artwork, and to not have them actually in the streams in a community that relies so heavily on the fishing industry, it's really a shame."

Watson, a PhD student at Michigan State University, brings the arctic grayling eggs back to her lab to rear them. The eggs and the research Watson conducts with them are the foundation of Michigan's Arctic Grayling Initiative, a collaboration between the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, the Little River Band of Ottawa Indians and 45 regional partners.

The goal: bringing the arctic grayling back to northern Michigan.

https://www.greatlakesnow.org/2021/08/grayling-revival-researchers-native-fish/
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 06, 2021, 08:21:15 AMJimmy and Rosalynn Carter discuss their 'extraordinary' 75-year marriage

>>>At the same time, they also make an effort to "share as much as we possibly can," he said, from bird watching to skiing to, especially, fly fishing, which they have done in over a dozen countries, he said.

"We make a big one-week trip out of that," he said. "We have made that a major part of our recreation."

Jimmy Carter tells us that he and his wife were still routinely fly fishing at their home in Plains as late as last year.

"We're always looking to do things or find things we can do together, like fly fishing and bird watching and just going out to the pond, catch a fish," Rosalynn Carter said.

https://www.kake.com/story/44242361/jimmy-and-rosalynn-carter-discuss-their-extraordinary-75year-marriage
I always thought Jimma was a nice guy. He's done a lot of nice things through his charities. He never cashed in and got rich like so many others. Too bad he was the worst Commander and Chief in my lifetime. I heard he has Joe's photo hung up in his study. Jimma may live long enough yet to be supplanted by Joe at the pace Joe is going. But now Billy, Billy was good people. :laugh:

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

'Loved To Death:' Montana's Fishing Spots Suffer During Persistent Drought

>>>Where there's stressed fish, there's stressed fishing guides. As Montana and much of the west feel the effects of persistent drought, those with a line in the future of the state's fisheries are navigating high temperatures, low flow and closures across the state.

Just south of Dillon, anglers flock to the Beaverhead River below Clark Canyon Reservoir. The dam-controlled flows run cool and clean — something trout and anglers can't resist.

https://www.mtpr.org/montana-news/2021-08-18/loved-to-death-montanas-fishing-spots-suffer-during-persistent-drought

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Opinion: Resisting the call of the Deschutes

>>>Every March, I begin looking forward to late summer afternoons at the mouth of the Deschutes River. The kaleidoscope of kite sails around Hood River and the creosote smell of railroad ties in The Dalles signal that I'm getting close to once again, experiencing world-class fishing — swinging flies for wild summer steelhead on a majestic western river.

>>>Alas, it's not a good time to be a steelhead, nor a steelhead angler. Thanks to drought and extreme heat, water temperatures in the lower 40 miles of the Deschutes are dangerously warm, exceeding 70 degrees some days. That's prompted fishing closures on the Deschutes (and some other rivers) after 2 pm when river temperatures reach their maximum. Warm water holds less oxygen, exacerbating the stress that fish experience when hooked to often fatal levels.

https://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/2021/08/opinion-resisting-the-call-of-the-deschutes.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

4-year-old Lands Record Golden Trout, Adding to Family's IGFA Honors
This Virginia family keeps landing record fish. Their latest catch, a 2-pound golden trout from the Wyoming backcountry

>>>If you happen to meet 5-year-old Caroline May Evans, she may want to tell you about the fish she caught. It's a story worth hearing: She and her mom and dad hiked 12 miles into the remote Wind River Mountains of Wyoming, where she swung a red worm over the outlet of a lake with no name and caught what turns out to be a world-record golden trout.

me -There's a season?

Phil