News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Unlimited Fly Fishing News and Articles...

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 01, 2019, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Meet the Penn State deans: Richard Roush talks fishing, ice cream — and immortality

>>As part of a collaborative effort with Penn State, which is releasing a monthly video on school deans and their perspectives and passions, the Centre Daily Times is continuing a lighthearted Q&A series that highlights a different dean every month in the hopes the local community gets to know them outside of the classroom. Up next: Richard Roush, dean of Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences. Roush, who holds a doctorate from Cal Berkeley, joined Penn State in 2014. He is internationally recognized for research into insect pests and weeds, and his most recent published work came on the spotted laternfly. He previously served as the University of Melbourne's dean of the School of Land and Environment, and he's currently focused on key issues such as water quality and job development. He also loves fishing, whether it's fly-fishing in local waterways, deep-sea fishing on the West Coast or wherever else.

Read more at: https://www.centredaily.com/news/local/education/penn-state/article260306825.html#storylink=cpy

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

I feel much better about my casting after watching that.  :laugh:

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 05, 2022, 08:56:13 AM

For 76 years, this man made a living as a fishing guide in an iconic Canadian park

Frank Kuiack is the last traditional fishing guide in Ontario's Algonquin Park.

Kuiack is a time capsule of a bygone era, carrying a wealth of stories behind each wrinkle on his face. He generously shares his knowledge with anyone who journeys into the park.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/short-docs/for-76-years-this-man-made-a-living-as-a-fishing-guide-in-an-iconic-canadian-park-1.6391994

Great short video but you'll need a VPN (canada server) to watch...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 04, 2022, 23:16:17 PM

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 05, 2022, 08:56:13 AM

For 76 years, this man made a living as a fishing guide in an iconic Canadian park

Frank Kuiack is the last traditional fishing guide in Ontario's Algonquin Park.

Kuiack is a time capsule of a bygone era, carrying a wealth of stories behind each wrinkle on his face. He generously shares his knowledge with anyone who journeys into the park.

https://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/short-docs/for-76-years-this-man-made-a-living-as-a-fishing-guide-in-an-iconic-canadian-park-1.6391994

Great short video but you'll need a VPN (canada server) to watch...

Thanks for posting this. Seen it somewhere the other day and forgot to go back to it to watch.

Dee-Vo

Phil

Good morning watch. Thanks, Dee-Vo!  :cheers

Phil

The long-haired Swedish (or wherever he was from)dude in the video was a very well-equipped "trout bum." Lotso money worth of gear he was a-carrying....  :o

Woolly Bugger

Murray's Fly Shop celebrates six decades in Edinburg

>>>Harry Murray remembers tying fishing flies in the back of his drugstore in Edinburg between filling prescriptions back in 1962.

Fresh out of college, Murray kept both business and pleasure close by. Most of his business space was for the pharmacy, but he maintained a small portion of the shop for fly-fishing equipment.

Six decades later, the drugstore is no more. But Murray's Fly Shop is still going strong.

https://www.nvdaily.com/nvdaily/murrays-fly-shop-celebrates-six-decades-in-edinburg/article_a3b4fe80-754d-5ec9-b6aa-8366875c8edf.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Shock on the South Fork: Rainbow eradication stirs controversy

>>>As anglers take to the water this year, they will again share the South Fork of the Snake River with Idaho Department of Fish and Game crews electroshocking fish in an effort to boost native cutthroat trout numbers.

Fish and Game began removing non-native rainbow and rainbow/cutthroat hybrids called "cutbows" in the spring of 2018 as part of a new management strategy based, in part, on 2017 angler surveys. According to Fish and Game Regional Fisheries Biologist Patrick Kennedy, the state surveys anglers every five years to determine what management strategies the public wants to see. And protecting native cutthroat topped the list.

In the early 2000s the department documented declining cutthroat numbers, while rainbow and cutbow populations showed steady growth. The agency changed rules on the South Fork to try to motivate anglers to harvest the non-native species, opening the river to a year-round season and offering anglers no limit on the non-natives.

>>>"These aggressive shocking tactics are a result of the widespread belief that efforts to date have not been successful enough, and the battle to protect native cutthroat is being lost. It's a desperate attempt by biologists and IDFG to stop a non-native species from stealing the soul of our mighty South Fork."

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/sports/features/shock-on-the-south-fork-rainbow-eradication-divides-anglers/article_c1dba4db-8051-5180-a0be-de41c5edeb7d.html

me -There's a season?

Support the BRFFF