News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Space the Final Frontier

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 19, 2021, 08:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

"Naturally, a question mark hanging in the inky depths of space raises, well, questions. IGN reached out to scientist Dr. Christopher Britt of the Space Telescope Science Institute to find out exactly what the unexpected interloper was, and how it came to form in the first place."
https://me.ign.com/en/tech/211233/news/scientist-explains-strange-cosmic-question-mark-caught-lurking-in-deep-space-image

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 14, 2023, 14:48:05 PMQ:? A:42

Perhaps.
He's been gone for twenty years, and no one has proved him wrong. 😁
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Massive prehistoric solar storm is warning for Earth, researchers say

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The night sky lit up so bright that some people thought it was morning. Gold miners in the Rocky Mountains woke up at 1 a.m. to make breakfast and start their day. Birds began singing as if the sun had already risen. Telegraph systems worldwide went offline, and no one could send a message.

That event in 1859, known as the Carrington Event, has long been thought of as the benchmark for the most intense geomagnetic storm observed on Earth, sending northern lights displays as far south as Florida and Central America and knocking out communication systems. But now, new research has unveiled evidence of a much larger solar storm that could reset record books.

https://wapo.st/3Q8aqhj
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Crab nebula  :Dance

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope has gazed at the Crab Nebula, a supernova remnant located 6,500 light-years away in the constellation Taurus. Since the recording of this energetic event in 1054 CE by 11th-century astronomers, the Crab Nebula has continued to draw attention and additional study as scientists seek to understand the conditions, behavior, and after-effects of supernovae through thorough study of the Crab, a relatively nearby example.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

How These Guardians Avoid Satellite Collisions At 17,000 Miles Per Hour

There are tens of thousands of manmade objects in space, many of which are moving in low earth orbit at more than 17,000 miles per hour. If any collide, they could disrupt vital communications, navigation, and scientific satellites that millions of people rely on every day. That's why the Space Force's 18th Space Defense Squadron (SDS) has its eyes on the sky, tracking objects overhead and identifying possible collision risks so that satellite operators can adjust orbit and avoid a run-in.

"Just like a pileup on a busy racetrack, space debris could collide into other satellites, disrupting critical communication, navigation, and weather forecasting services," Space Operations Command noted in a recent press release highlighting the squadron. "Acting as the lighthouse of space, 18th SDS is responsible for monitoring and tracking all artificial objects in Earth's orbit to ensure the safety of our satellites, astronauts, and space exploration endeavors."

U.S. Army Maj. Mitchell Daugherty, mission director for the National Space Defense Center, points to a screen in front of U.S. Space Force 1st Lt. Tia Scoggan, weapons and tactics section chief for the 18th Space Defense Squadron Det. 1, at Schriever Space Force Base, Colorado, Oct. 5, 2022. (U.S. Space Force photo by Tiana Williams

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/space-force-orbital-debris-collision/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A growing global footprint for China's space program worries Pentagon

As its satellites crowd the skies, China has built ground stations in more than a dozen countries, with two more underway in Antarctica

EL ALTO, Bolivia — On a plateau 13,000 feet above sea level in the Bolivian Andes, llama herders and Indigenous farmers share the sparse landscape with an unusual neighbor: a towering cluster of Chinese-built satellite dishes.

The Amachuma Ground Station exchanges data 24 hours a day with Bolivia's only state-owned satellite, Tupac Katari I, which orbits some 22,300 miles above Latin America. The remote ground station has another, largely invisible, use: It allows Beijing to surveil skies 10,000 miles from China, according to officials from the Bolivian space agency and Chinese scientists and company officials familiar with the program.

CHINA'S GLOBAL LEAP
At every point of the compass, China is quietly laying the foundations of its new international order.

The Pentagon is increasingly concerned that China's growing network of facilities in Latin America and Antarctica for its civilian space and satellite programs has defense capabilities. U.S. officials say the ground stations — which allow countries to maintain uninterrupted communication with satellites and other space vehicles — have the potential to expand Beijing's global military surveillance network in the southern hemisphere and areas close to the United States.

China already has over 700 satellites in orbit, with plans to expand that number exponentially in the coming years — a project that requires a global constellation of terrestrial facilities to track and communicate with them as they pass over different parts of the planet.

https://wapo.st/40SjkDg

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The New Space Race Is Causing New Pollution Problems
Earth's stratosphere has never seen the amounts of emissions and waste from rockets and satellites that a booming space economy will leave behind.

The high-altitude chase started over Cape Canaveral on Feb. 17, 2023, when a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launched. Thomas Parent, a NASA research pilot, was flying a WB-57 jet when the rocket ascended past the right wing — leaving him mesmerized before he hit the throttle to accelerate.

For roughly an hour, Mr. Parent dove in and out of the plume in the rocket's wake while Tony Casey, the sensor equipment operator aboard the jet, monitored its 17 scientific instruments. Researchers hoped to use the data to prove they could catch a rocket's plume and eventually characterize the environmental effects of a space launch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/09/science/rocket-pollution-spacex-satellites.html?unlocked_article_code=1.TU0.KB1k.PPMEffK0nbze&bgrp=c&smid=url-share
me -There's a season?