For, lethal injection
7 (41.2%)
For, electric chair
7 (41.2%)
Against
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Woolly Bugger

Saudi Arabia has executed 12 people in 10 days for drug offences after a two-year hiatus, according to a human rights organization.

The spate of executions - most of which are beheadings with a sword - is part of a wider trend that suggests the country is on track for a record year of executions despite Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman previously vowing to reduce the use of such punishments.

The defendants, all males, were sentenced to death after being imprisoned on non-violent drug charges. Three were Pakistani, four Syrian, two Jordanian and three Saudi. Another man from Jordan is believed to have been transferred to the wing for executions on Friday.

That brings the total number of people executed this year to at least 132, exceeding those of 2020 and 2021 combined.

In other news... (my bold)

Three death row prisoners executed over two days in the US

Three men have been executed in the past two days in the US, one each in Texas, Arizona and Oklahoma. All died by lethal injection. From their convictions to their executions, the condemned men combined spent over a century on death row. This killing spree brings the number of death row inmates executed in 2022 to 16.

>>>The three executions in America came in the same week that the emirate of Kuwait put seven people to death in a mass execution, despite appeals from human rights organizations for clemency.

The prisoners hanged on Wednesday were four Kuwaitis, a Pakistani, a Syrian and an Ethiopian. Two of the seven were women. Kuwait introduced the death penalty in the mid-1960s and since then has executed dozens of people, mainly those convicted of murder or drug trafficking.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/11/18/ymet-n18.html

Wikipedia 16 executions in the United States this year so far...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_in_the_United_States_in_2022
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

IDK about the Murray Hooper story, but

"Richard Fairchild was convicted of the 1993 killing of his girlfriend's three-year-old son Adam Broomhall. Prosecutors say Fairchild, an ex-Marine, held the child's body against a hot furnace, then threw him onto a table, after the boy wet the bed"

"Stephen Barbee, 57, was convicted and sentenced to death in Texas for the 2005 suffocation deaths of his pregnant ex-girlfriend Lisa Underwood, 34, and her seven-year-old son."

Anything involving abuse and murder of children I'm not losing any sleep over.

greg

Quote from: Big J on November 21, 2022, 13:04:21 PMIDK about the Murray Hooper story, but

"Richard Fairchild was convicted of the 1993 killing of his girlfriend's three-year-old son Adam Broomhall. Prosecutors say Fairchild, an ex-Marine, held the child's body against a hot furnace, then threw him onto a table, after the boy wet the bed"

"Stephen Barbee, 57, was convicted and sentenced to death in Texas for the 2005 suffocation deaths of his pregnant ex-girlfriend Lisaall I can say is hell is too good for those bastards.  Underwood, 34, and her seven-year-old son."

Anything involving abuse and murder of children I'm not losing any sleep over.

all o can say is hell is too good for those bastards

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Tonight!

Alabama plans first nitrogen gas execution after failed lethal injection

When Kenneth Eugene Smith enters the death chamber at the William C. Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Ala., on Thursday night, he will be in a place that is at once familiar and entirely unknown.

Smith, 58, is expected to be placed on the same gurney that was used 14 months earlier, when he survived a botched lethal injection that was eventually called off because his death warrant was expiring and prison workers failed to set his IV line. But instead of being administered lethal drugs, prison workers will place a mask over his face and start the process of making Smith the first person executed by an untested method that uses nitrogen gas to force death by oxygen deprivation, a process known as nitrogen hypoxia.

https://wapo.st/42eD3xD
me -There's a season?

Onslow

A botched execution at age 65 is a better deal than living past 90 years.  Lord, I hope I die no later than age 85.

An example of life at age 91.

An acute case of shingles.  Sores in eye sockets, followed by
Post herpetic neuralgia.  This affliction is no joke. It is horrible.
Numerous mini strokes
Broken leg
Major stroke
pneumonia
acute respiratory failure
dementia

This all happened to my MIL in the last 9 months.

The use of medical intervention used in an inappropriate manner to extend life (living hell, pain, misery, despair) has become a religious ritual that is far more cruel than an execution.

No apologies for the rant.

trout-r-us

Poll numbers don't seem to reflect the number of members voting. 🤔

I am opposed to the death penalty, but if it must be, I think the all knowing pro-life members of our duly elected legislature should decide on the how.
With all the guns and apparent hate in our society, I'm betting a firing squad posse of gun slingers could be round up on a moment's notice.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 26, 2024, 06:22:36 AMPoll numbers don't seem to reflect the number of members voting. 🤔

I am opposed to the death penalty, but if it must be, I think the all knowing pro-life members of our duly elected legislature should decide on the how.
With all the guns and apparent hate in our society, I'm betting a firing squad posse of gun slingers could be round up on a moment's notice.

Polls rarely "reflect" anything.

I recently took a poll and found out
100% of campers were angry when their tent collapsed.

I vote death penalty by waxed cotton.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

joe friday

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on April 20, 2022, 19:07:03 PMI'm all for doing away with the death penalty. Killing is wrong, it doesn't matter if it's one man doing it to another or the state doing it to a criminal. I never though the death penalty was much of a deterrent. The last meal thing is always interesting. I'd want a couple hookers and some good party favors.https://www.ranker.com/list/most-elaborate-death-row-final-meals/john-barryman

In 2004, I served as a witness to a lethal injection at Central Prison in Raleigh, NC.  The inmate was a man named Sammy Crystal Perkins.  He had raped and killed a little girl.  There is no mitigating his crime.   Absolutely cruel and horrendous.

Watching the state kill him, though, was such a surreal, emotional, incredible experience that it convinced me to oppose capital punishment. It didn't really solve the problem.  I am not sure it was justice.  I just don't know.  I can imagine that keeping him alive, but in a very confined way so that his rights and abilities are even more restricted than they would be even in a prison, might be better.  But, again, I am not certain.   I will also say this, I had a river of cold sweat dripping down my back as I watched everything.  Perkins was no more than 6 feet away from me.  The witness chamber is a very, very small room--hardly bigger than a walk-in closet.  There were about 15-16 people in there; law enforcement witnesses, family members, and media.  There were two rows of chairs, and media were standing behind us.  I remember that David Crabtree from WRAL was there.  It was very crowded and no talking was allowed.  It was dark.

Having said that, as witnesses, we did get a very good education on the history of capital punishment in NC, including a list of all the "Last Meals" served to the condemned inmates.   One meal struck me as funny, a prisoner had 6 hotdogs and a diet coke...my immediate thought was, "Hey, why the DIET coke??  There's no need to worry about calories, now!!"   :cheers