News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Big time stone hatch on the Yadkin in Elkin.  Acres of them moving upriver.

trout-r-us

Beware, the Ides of March are upon us.

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

More fun coming for folks that have fun hating Yankees.

"Boomers fed up with Florida are moving to southern Appalachia, fueling a population spike in longtime rural communities"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boomers-fed-florida-moving-southern-152041744.html
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

troutboy_II

While I am sure that concerns about severe weather may have some impact on these folks, I think having an insane governor must have an equal impact if not more so. What a wack doddle.  :o

Imho of course... Your milage may very.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Onslow

Quote from: troutboy_II on March 25, 2024, 12:20:08 PMWhile I am sure that concerns about severe weather may have some impact on these folks, I think having an insane governor must have an equal impact if not more so. What a wack doddle.  :o

TB
Quote from: troutboy_II on March 25, 2024, 12:20:08 PMWhile I am sure that concerns about severe weather may have some impact on these folks, I think having an insane governor must have an equal impact if not more so. What a wack doddle.  :o

TB

DeSantis is a moral supremacist just as the Neo Woke crowd are.  Same smelly shit in a different wrapper.

Perhaps a tuition refund for all his advance degrees are in order being he does not have the smarts to handle the dumb-dumbs he's quarreling with.  Yes, he is correct, there are materials that should not be in public schools.  My issue is how he exposed weakness in handling the situation by compromising the 1st, and not enforcing existing child protection laws.

Shining a light on the stupid is a great way to confront the issue.

trout-r-us

Making books available vs making books required reading are two different things.
I would agree that the public schools should be monitored regarding books that are required reading, but the libraries should offer the opportunity for students to research any topic they would like. To do otherwise, restricts learning which in turn can lead to the creation of more ignorant bigoted blowhards such as Senator Kennedy.
― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: trout-r-us on March 26, 2024, 08:03:11 AMMaking books available vs making books required reading are two different things.
I would agree that the public schools should be monitored regarding books that are required reading, but the libraries should offer the opportunity for students to research any topic they would like. To do otherwise, restricts learning which in turn can lead to the creation of more ignorant bigoted blowhards such as Senator Kennedy.

I agree, 100 percent!

Simply seeing students in a library reading/researching anything is encouraging, at least to me.  Plus, the material available on the web surely dwarfs any material found in a school or public library.

Of all the crap our youth must deal with during this chapter of human existence, questionable readings/books located in school libraries are darned close to the bottom of the list.

Also, one of you pretentious peckerwoods please tell me the true definition of woke.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

June 2, 1924, Calvin Coolidge signed the Snyder act. Some American Indians were eligible for citizenship in 1919 after WWI, but it wasn't until the Snyder Act was signed that all were :'(

Just thought I'd bring this up during this traditional season of self reflection as the 100 anniversary mark nears.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on March 29, 2024, 06:04:05 AM
Quote from: trout-r-us on March 26, 2024, 08:03:11 AMMaking books available vs making books required reading are two different things.

You need to learn how to be in a state of disagreement for gracefully. You're going to blow a head gasket like Mark Robinson will if he doesn't cool down a bit.

I'm sure books on cooking drugs and making bombs would be a hit with grade 6-12 boys. 

Adults or minors sharing adult content with minors to the best of my knowledge is considered sexual abuse by most states.

Sen John Kennedy has a top tier domestic and international education. You've provided no evidence he is a bigot. He certainly has more education than Bill Clinton.

I doubt there is a correlation between education and bigotry.  Just because someone has a top tier education does not mean they learned a damned thing about tolerance, compassion, selflessness, or acceptance of diversity.  With several individuals within the university community, those with way more education, I've witnessed a callous approach to all ideas/people that were different than theirs.  These folks revered the entirety of world with a binary approach, light or dark, male or female, black or white, straight or gay, right or wrong, etc. with no middle ground.  Personally, I've never viewed the world that way.

As for Senator JK, I have no idea if he is a bigot.    I do know he stated without the influence of America, Mexicans would be eating pet food and living in tents next to steakhouses, and he made a derogatory comment about our VP's IQ.  A top tier education does not make him immune from being a prick.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 29, 2024, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: Onslow on March 29, 2024, 06:04:05 AM

You need to learn how to be in a state of disagreement for gracefully. You're going to blow a head gasket like Mark Robinson will if he doesn't cool down a bit.

I'm sure books on cooking drugs and making bombs would be a hit with grade 6-12 boys. 

Adults or minors sharing adult content with minors to the best of my knowledge is considered sexual abuse by most states.

Sen John Kennedy has a top tier domestic and international education. You've provided no evidence he is a bigot. He certainly has more education than Bill Clinton.

I doubt there is a correlation between education and bigotry.  Just because someone has a top tier education does not mean they learned a damned thing about tolerance, compassion, selflessness, or acceptance of diversity.  With several individuals within the university community, those with way more education, I've witnessed a callous approach to all ideas/people that were different than theirs.  These folks revered the entirety of world with a binary approach, light or dark, male or female, black or white, straight or gay, right or wrong, etc. with no middle ground.  Personally, I've never viewed the world that way.

Of course an education does not make one less bigoted.  I honestly think the highest density of bigots may be found at our Ivy league schools.  Elitism is a form of bigotry.

Binary or oppositional defiance thinking isn't thinking. It is retardation. Some fancy themselves as having a high moral standing for raging about Trump.  This is an epic delusion. Stalin fought against Hitler, I suppose then this makes Stalin morally righteous man.

There has been much fuss about drag queens and transgender folk the last couple years.  I will assert that Jesse Helmes would have been comfortable sitting with Ru Paul in ball stadium.  Ru Paul is not an asshole.  He is respectful of boundaries, and knows what he is, a performing artist. RuPaul has been around for many moons, and I cannot think of one soul who has spoken ill of him.  Many are disgusted by those who desire to disrespect social norms, and basic rules of decency.  This is NOT bigotry. Trump's trash talk, and certain drag queens' desire to impose themselves in elementary schools is not acceptable, period.

Many are not upset with the principles of DEI, but are upset about the suppression of speech, hypocrisy, racist fixations of those who profess to champion it.

The Transgender crowd has run afoul of many due to demanding rights at the expense of others.  This is straight up toxic narcissism. If victims of their bullying speak up, then they are labeled bigots. I suppose being Trans gives one license to be a complete ass, and we're supposed to be good with it.

I was born a Yankee with ASD.  This does not give me a license to be an ass, but the struggle is real :laugh:

Woolly Bugger

100,000 Live Salmon Spilled Off a Truck. Most Landed in a Creek and Lived.

A tanker carrying young salmon crashed. But most of the fish flopped into a creek and "hit the water running," a wildlife official said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/03/us/salmon-truck-creek-oregon.html?unlocked_article_code=1.h00.O0Gi.DhQAwPJvTlbs&smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare&ugrp=m&sgrp=c-cb

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

How hidden WW2 bombs across the Pacific are found and destroyed, decades after war

Teams in the Marshall Islands, which is littered with unexploded weapons from the second world war, uncover and detonate potentially deadly devices

Eight decades after the guns fell silent, munitions left by the US and Japan still litter beaches, jungles, and lagoons and continue to pose a hidden but lethal threat.

Now millions is being spent by the US and others across the Pacific to identify, remove and destroy dormant bombs, also known as unexploded ordnance. Some estimate the number of bombs – found across the region including in Fiji, Palau and Solomon Islands – could be in the hundreds of thousands.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/05/ww2-hidden-bombs-clearing-disposal-pacific-marshall-islands-unexploded-ordnance-uxo

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

America's Nuclear War Plan in the 1960s Was Utter Madness. It Still Is.

Nuclear war is madness. Were a nuclear weapon to be launched at the United States, including from a rogue nuclear-armed nation like North Korea, American policy dictates a nuclear counterattack. This response would almost certainly set off a series of events that would quickly spiral out of control. "The world could end in the next couple of hours," Gen. Robert Kehler, the former commander of US Strategic Command, told me in an interview.

We sit on the razor's edge. Vladimir Putin has said he is "not bluffing" about the possibility of using weapons of mass destruction should NATO overstep on Ukraine, and North Korea accuses the US of having "a sinister intention to provoke a nuclear war." For generations, the American public has viewed a nuclear World War III as a remote prospect, but the threat is ever-present. "Humanity is one misunderstanding, one miscalculation away from nuclear annihilation," cautions UN Secretary-General António Guterres. "We must reverse course."

So far, we haven't. The Pentagon's plans for nuclear war remain firmly in place.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2024/03/nuclear-war-scenario-book-siop-weapons-annie-jacobsen/

Dan Carlin Hardcore History Addendum
Investigative journalist Annie Jacobsen joins Dan to discuss the contents of her new book which, using insider and expert information, dramatically outlines how a nuclear war might unfold.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/dan-carlins-hardcore-history-addendum/id1326393257?i=1000651502148

me -There's a season?