Blown Out, Blown Away TR

Started by Phil, June 20, 2019, 19:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

[Select]
Went on my 3rd retirement anniversary camp/fish Monday--Thursday. Monday started out great, made camp, and hit my planned close-to-camp quick afternoon fish. The brookies were willing and quickly caught 5 on a dry. Took 3 pics.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Late afternoon the rain started and turned into a full-blown gully washer with lightning and high winds. Rain was blowing sideways under my canopy, so I repaired to the car for a while. Went to the tent and slept dry in a Helluva storm all night. Tuesday morning was just drizzle, so went looking at water. Stream A was blown out, too hard to wade and/or fish.

So was another option. Stream in the trees.

Then I was walking along the road along stream B (also blown out) when a car went by, slowed down, and turned around. Uh-oh. "Hey Phil, is that you??" By God, it was Fred Itieuglyflies!We shot the shit for a few minutes; they were also driving around looking for streams that weren't blown out. It started raining again, so I went back to camp. It rained hard the rest of the day. Day 2 was a washout. Sat under the canopy and drank coffee.

Wednesday was better. Streams were still in the woods some places, but I found a few streams on my back-up plan that were high but fishable. Caught 12 wild bows and 2 more brookies before I called it a day in the late afternoon. A success of sorts. At least the skunk was avoided, and I worked hard for some pretty feeshies.

Woke up Thurdsay morning to more rain, packed up wet camp, and was heading out of the campground (I was the only tent camper there, just the camp hosts in their trailer besides me) when I talked to the ranger. He said we'd gotten between 4-5 inches of rain on Mon. and Tues., and some of the campsites had washed away! I was happy my tent stayed dry through all that. Made it home in my old heap Subaru without breaking down this time. A success!

itieuglyflies

Good going Phil and nice pics.

Dougfish

Hanging tough, Phil. Good feesh!
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Nice work phil, I think I might have bailed with all that rain and high water. Now you know that tent is PFF ready!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Way to endeavor to persevere! I'm headed out now for the weekend, may be a similar situation.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

When I was breaking camp, I pulled up the ground tarp under my tent. A pair of salamanders had taken up residence under there. Just a bit wet....

Big J

Lesser men have bailed on camping in better conditions than what you experienced.  Cough Fin Cough.  A+ for making the most of it. 

Phil

Fred Itieugyflies was camping in the rain too about 10 miles away. Hey Fred -- Once the high water came up and my dry flies got put in the box, I used a tungsten bead PT Frenchie tied on a jig hook. Stole that from you. They work, by Gum.  :P

Dougfish

Quote from: Phil on June 21, 2019, 11:42:04 AMFred Itieugyflies was camping in the rain too about 10 miles away. Hey Fred -- Once the high water came up and my dry flies got put in the box, I used a tungsten bead PT Frenchie tied on a jig hook. Stole that from you. They work, by Gum.  :P
That's what I hammered them with on Whitetop Sunday. -0-
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Quote from: Dougfish on June 21, 2019, 11:59:24 AMThat's what I hammered them with on Whitetop Sunday. -0-

Yeah. The water was fine on Sunday. It didn't come up until Monday evening (after I got there).  b';

Stone-Man

Good stuff,my friend.  'c;  Hard to hang when the creek is blown

JT

jwgnc

Well played.  Way to hang in there
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.