Unlimited Local Bands, small music venues

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 16, 2019, 09:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Country, Bluegrass, Blues and Folk.

Last couple of nighs I've got to hear Jonathan Byrd at the Muddy Creek Music Hall in Bathenia, NC, Turpentine Shine and Songs from The Road Band at The Crown (upper floor of the Carolina Theatre in Greensboro) and last night I went back to the Crown to hear Aaron Woody Wood and Tony Holiday and his blues band.

Byrd and the Pickup Cowboys are a NC based act that has a regular Wednesday evening act at the Kraken Bar 7 - 10.

my videos from last night....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Spent a delightful afternoon at the Crown Theatre in Greensboro on Sunday afternoon listening to singer/songwriters in the round. Jane Kramer, Joshua Shelton, Will Easter, and Casey Perkins (host)

Jane Kramer wrote the Waffel House song which is on EVERY Waffel House Juke Box... so give it a listen and drop a dime the next time your in a WH.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
[[/b]

House concert at the Doodad Farm with Crystal Bright, Laura Jane Vincent, Matty Sheets in the Round.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

went to see Matty Sheets and his entorage play at the Common Grounds coffee shop / bar the other night... his dark and satirical songs are unique and funny. Good entertainment for the price....

Laure Jane Vincent

And then last night we went to the Premier Fiddle and Bow Society Show in Greensboro, now every third wednesday!

Randall Bramblett and his guitar player hit the new venue UpStage Cabaret at Triad Stage in downtown Greensboro.

Hell, Phil probable played with this guy.... jis say'in

QuoteMulti-instrumentalist Randall Bramblett is Southern rock Royalty. He may be known for playing on stage with rock's legends like Bonnie Raitt, The Allman Brothers Band, Steve Winwood (16 years), The Band, Roger Glover, Gov't Mule and Widespread Panic among others. And respected for his songwriting – he's penned the title track for the Blind Boys of Alabama's new Grammy Award winning album, adding to a long catalog of songs covered by Raitt, Gregg Allman, Bonnie Bramlett, Hot Tuna, Delbert McClinton, Bettye Lavette and more. But it's Bramblett's own career as frontman where his artistry is in full display.  Join us for this very special solo acoustic show, showcasing Randall's smokey voice, soulful keyboard & guitar work [and saxophone] as he weaves his brilliant tapestry of literate, worldly wise songs.
"You can't do better than Randall Bramblett." Bonnie Raitt
"One of the South's most lyrical and literate songwriters." Rolling Stone
"Randall is in my opinion the most gifted & talented southern singer-songwriter musicians of the past several decades."  Chuck Leavell (Rolling Stones, Allman Brothers)

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Lucked out with this last minute decision to go to the Crown in Greensboro last Thursday evening. Tickets were only eight bucks. First up was Chris Frisina from Chapel Hill who gave a self-deprecating show that was humorous, moody, dark and lively. He story telling added depth to his songs and we really enjoyed hearing him perform.

You cannot view this attachment.

Next was the headliner Violet Bell a duo from NC that has performed over 300 shows in the last three years. I don't know how I managed to not hear them before as they are incredibly talented musicians. Lizzy Ross has an incredible voice that is powerful and dynamic  and Omar Ruiz-Lopez is an exceptional stringed instrument player rainging from banjo to guitar to violin.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

So on the First Friday of the month, this clothing company Be Mindful Supply Co. has local bands preform in their store. They serve up cheese and crackers with white and red wines and a great selection of craft brews. This past Friday they also had everything at 50% off which made their spendy T-shirts reasonable! Local musician Casey Howard played two sets of original and cover songs.  Check it out if you're in Greensboro.

I've heard her before and she's entertaining but not one of my favorites, so after downing a couple of complimentary brews I headed out to LevenEleven Brewery where Matty Sheets was doing a set of his original music.

Here his playing his song Heart which I think is pretty darn funny as are most of his songs if they're not too dark.

After he finished his set I headed back to Winston Salem for some eclectic music at the Monstercade bar. There were three acts on the billboard and I'm not sure what the name of this one is...but it was very unusual, I left after finishing up my food truck dinner and a beer.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Was planning to go see Woodstock 50th anniversary showing of the movie on the big screen, but then I heard this band called Flow Tribe from New Orleans was going to be plaing at the Crown Theatre, downtown Greensboro on the same night. Fortunatly I was able to get a refund on my movie tickets and we went to hear the band instead.  d:b

Fresh, exciting, with a make your feet move beat, we danced for the entire 1:45 set. Unfortunatly there were only a dozen people in attendence!
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

If you didn't go to the NC Folk Fest https://ncfolkfestival.com/ this past weekend you missed out on a lot of great free music. Plan to go next year!

On Friday Evening we heard Redd Volkaert, Mwenso and the Shakes, and Booker T. Jones.

Then on Saturday we heard

The Racines

5 Women Songwrithers in the round one of which was Claire Lynch

The New Smokey Valley Boys

Then the heat of the day forced us to take a break befoe we headed over to UNCG for the annaul Collage Concert with 300 student muscians in an amazing performance.

Sunday we were back at the Fold Fest

Tuba Skinny

Kim Weitkamp Storyteller

Sam Frazier

Reliably Bad

North Mississippi Allstars

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

On Friday we have the pleasure of hearing Abigal Dowd with Jason Duff as the opened for Jon Shain

Then on Sunday afternoon we listend to the big band sound of the Piedmont Triad Jazz Orchestra

Both shows were held at the Crown Theatre in Greensboro and the ticket price was an amazingly low price of $12....

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

=

Free concert from the UNCG School of Music popped up on my feed so I went to the Tew Recital Hall on campus and heard the Sinfonia
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Well if you weren't at the Chic Corea Trilogy concert at Wait Chapel on the campus of Wake Forest University last night you really missed out on the great show. The tickets were very reasonable at about one third to one fourth the price at other venues on the tour. There are a few more shows in the US before the tri embarks to Europe in 2020, they include shows in NY, PA, SC, MD, and IL.
http://chickcorea.com/trilogy/

The 78-year-old Grammy award-winning master of the piano provided great entertainment as he engaged the audience by tuning us up with a series of arpeggios. The powerhouse trio of Chic, Christian McBride on bass and the master of drums Brian Blade performed for an hour in the first set which gave nods to the jazz greats that have inspired Chic since the early 60's including the North Carolina native Thelonious Monk.

A surprising number of the audience didn't return after the half-hour break and even more left at the end of the performance before an encore which was an audience participation number.

After the encore, Chic whipped out his camera to the delight of the audience started taking photos of us and then turned the camera around for some selfies.

This one is posted on his instagram at another venue.

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Big fan of free classical music concerts. How did the UNCG kiddos do?

Now that my time with the BSA is almost finished, I will be spending more time at the Stevens Center in the coming years. What little I've learned about the various UNCSA performers has caused me to pay attention.

Woolly Bugger

:banana026: UNCG school of music is full of talented musicians, in Jazz, ,classical, and even old time music. I know several of the Jazz student who have gone on to study at Juilliard
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I went and saw The Final Legacy Concert at the Sunset Theater in Asheboro for The Randolph Arts Guild Emerging Artis Series which is a fundraiser to support music education for children on the county.

Jack Gorham, Kristin Leigh, Mark Dillon, and Abigail Dowd.

great sound and good tunes in the repurposed historic movie theatre.   
me -There's a season?