News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Back on the soho!

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 02, 2019, 18:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Saturday,needed to fish, spork gave me incomplete directions to carp Mecca and I ended up on the wrong side of the river and a "you can't get there from here" situation. I scoped out the water and returned to the car to rig up. I walked out with two anglers and we encountered a wildlife officer. He checked their licenses but didn't ask me as I did not have a rod I hand . I looked lit my license anyway but couldn't find it on my phone. I told him that I was planning on fishing and had purchased a license back in April. Since there was no cell service he couldn't call it in and told me to go ahead and fish. I cast for smallies for an hour and a half without a hit.

I packed up and as soon as I got a signal I GPSed a route to the South Holston, damn an hour forty five!

The lot was only about 1/3 occupied but somehow there were still anglers stacked up but with enough space to fill in without crowding!

Fish were rising in the run I had selected!i tied on a comparadun and proceeded to smack em! They were all punes and the largest were pushing 2/3 of a cubit in length!

They like the twitch, can't resist the fly that moves and is about to get away. I caught most of them right when the fly landed or after a twitch and a few on longer drifts. I stayed pretty much in the same spot, casting longer out across multiple currents to target risers just to see if I could catch them without moving closer. I caught several at about 60 feet, just playing games on the river.

Later, after losing the three comparaduns which I called the good, the bad, and the ugly, I tied on a puff daddy and  couldn't keep the fish off that fly!

I would say that about 6 out of ten were rainbows and the rest browns!

Stopped short of dark as there was no indication that a spinner fall would occur.

As I was driving home the phone kept sending me weather updates as the sky filled with lightening! I checked he radar I I thought I would sneak in behind it. But I drove straight into the heart of the beast. Traffic slowed to about 45 and I kept thinking about the lack of deep tread on my tires as I rolled through standing water.

Near pilot mountain I saw a gaggle of fire trucks surrounding a church which had a smoldering chimney.

Finally got home after 35 miles of white knuckle driving.

No pics, left camera at home and refuse to tempt fate by using my phone while standing in the river!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

I jumped into the Yadkin last year with my phone in my pfd during rescue demonstration.  My phone was completely submerged for about a minute.  No unpleasant consequences experienced. 

Dougfish

No pics,never happened.  :P
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006