News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fantastic New Euro Nymphing Fly

Started by Phil, May 27, 2019, 11:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker

Guess we'll have to start callin' you "Euro Phil".

'c;

I used the Hildebandt Colorado Spinners in my youth on a spinning rod in CA.
The size #0 & #1 work on a fly rod as well, either scented or not.

:o
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Phil

Quote from: Dougfish on May 30, 2019, 17:22:50 PMGo Phil.
You might be surprised how well it throws a dry with a regular leader.
I need to keep some empty tippet spools to make the change easier.

I finally couldn't take watching all the dry sulphurs coming off, fish feeding, and went to the bank, sat down, and got ready to change my leader to a regular one. The wind was blowing like crazy and I had tried (without success) to "cast" a dry on the Euro leader. I sat there for a minute, realized the water was gonna come up in 20 minutes, and gave up and went home. I dunno about the Euro stuff. I could have done as well with a regular leader the whole time and been able to change to a dry without a problem. Aaaack.
Next time I go, I'll probably need a Euro rig. It's just the way it always goes with me.  b';

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Phil on May 29, 2019, 18:25:32 PMOK -- back to a serious Euro nymphing question. Fred? Doug? If I'm fishing 2 nymphs -- one tungsten bead, one #18 scud pattern, should I tie the scud off the hook bend (like a freestone dry/dropper), or should I tie it on a tag above the heavier nymph? Inquiring minds want to know....

Non-expert me says put the heavy nymph on the bottom, and use that little dandruff flake fly a foot above it. Friends don't let friends tie to hook bends. Tie to the eye or on a loop on the tippet above the point fly.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

10', 10'6", 11' rod?

Does size matter?

Pros and cons! Go!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

As I have said before euro nymphing does not work......however I do carry around an 11' foot Syndicate 3wt. Just so I can say I have a longer rod than most fishermen!

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 31, 2019, 16:32:06 PM10', 10'6", 11' rod?

Does size matter?

Pros and c
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 31, 2019, 16:32:06 PM10', 10'6", 11' rod?

Does size matter?

Pros and cons! Go!

All bases with a TFO drifts.

Phil

Quote from: OnslowAll bases with a TFO drifts.

I hadn't seen that TFO rod. Interesting. Thanks.  V:;

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Looks great. That's all I need -- another thing on the stream to fumble around with. Now, it's gonna be staff, camera, leaders, flies, and pieces of rod to try and switch around while a dry fly hatch happens and the whole shebang has to be switched back around....  :embarassed: