News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

The Sea Run Brook Trout

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 21, 2019, 16:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

QuoteIf you haven't targeted salters, you're missing out on fish significantly stronger and, for their age, larger than their inland cousins. A multi-agency study of the native trout of Stanley Brook, on Maine's Mount Desert Island, reveals that fish taking advantage of the marine environment grow 30 percent faster than fish that reside in the same system but spend their entire lives in fresh water.

In 1827 Daniel Webster, who served in Congress as both representative and senator, reportedly caught a 14.5-pound salter from Long Island's East Connecticut River (now Carmans River). That unofficial yet-well-documented world-record brook trout was tied in 1915 when Dr. John Cook took a 14.5-pound fish from Ontario's Nipigon River.

Salters are in big trouble throughout their US range, mostly because their coastal habitat attracts human development. They need special protections. Convincing managers of this, however, is a major challenge.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/05/17/saving-salter-brook-trout/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!