2600-year-old tree in North Carolina

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 10, 2019, 18:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

QuoteAlive before Jesus' birth, this North Carolina cypress tree is one of the oldest trees not only in the U.S. but also the world.
While wars and storms have roared around it, the tree has been alive for over 2,600 years, quietly growing along the banks of a river near Raleigh.
Scientists this week said it has now been documented as the oldest tree in the entire eastern United States, a new study said, with an estimated "birthday" of 605 B.C.

Incredibly, the study said the tree is one of a group of several cypress trees that have somehow survived over two millennia. "It is exceedingly unusual to see an old-growth stand of trees along the whole length of a river like this," study lead author David Stahle said.
He said it's also amazing to realize the trees "were alive during the time of Christ."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alive-before-jesus-birth-a-2600-year-old-tree-in-north-carolina-is-one-of-usas-oldest/ar-AABc0dv?ocid=spartandhp
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Pretty cool. Large Taxodium are jaw dropping dinosaurs.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Many decades ago we paddled down six run creek into the Black River and on to the Cape Fear. Big ole trees, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, and more trees. Very cool three day trip, to bad it rained he whole time, 
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

I'd like to float n fish some cypress water around the first of Nov.  The leaves turn flame red, and the snakes are largely gone.  Bass and Crappies will still bite.  Surprisingly the Tar between Louisburg and Bunn has many fine cypress and rock structure in many areas.  Would love to float and camp this....or Merchants/Bennett Creek.

tomato can

Quote from: Onslow on May 11, 2019, 15:06:17 PMI'd like to float n fish some cypress water around the first of Nov.  The leaves turn flame red, and the snakes are largely gone.  Bass and Crappies will still bite.  Surprisingly the Tar between Louisburg and Bunn has many fine cypress and rock structure in many areas.  Would love to float and camp this....or Merchants/Bennett Creek.

I've floated that float on the tar many times years ago with my cousins.  We used to catch a ton of fish.  Cypress creek has a ton of cypress (its the creek that feeds Lake Sagamore/Royal what ever they call it, now a days.)  We used to be below Jacksons' pond.  (another great place to fish although its no longer open to the public)  We used to seine cypress creek and catch jack, red fin pike, robin, bass and what not.  Gum Neck/Alligator River is full of Cypress and a trip worth going on.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Very interesting discovery and documentation.  But I did find the title of the article odd.

Peculiar beginning in the title, "Alive before Jesus' birth......".

A 2014 survey found that 65% of Americans believe that the Christmas story and date are factually true.

http://time.com/3634258/majority-of-americans-believe-the-story-of-jesus-birth-is-historically-accurate/

Compare this to only 61% of Americans think that climate change is occurring.

https://www.people-press.org/2014/06/26/section-7-global-warming-environment-and-energy/

There's an American, an informative, story here.  Something for Big J and I to discuss the next time together by the fire, while I drink, and he prays for me.

Peace brothers and sisters!

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?