News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Lushious

Started by Onslow, May 06, 2019, 20:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

I had planned on heading up to VA to a large and somewhat forbidden watershed for some butter bellies, but the amount of precipitation that fell Saturday night and Sunday morning far exceeded what was predicted.  Headed out to the local cluster in search of a stream low enough to fish.  Most were high and dingy, but one was clear and manageable.

The streams is in this area took a beating in the last decade due to heat and drought, but things have recovered nicely, and the fishing is the best it has been since the mid 90s, if not well before.

Unfortunately, I got started late, like around 2 PM.  I sorta wanted to hike 3 plus miles up to Devil's Pool, but too much time would have been sacrificed.  Considering all the storms in the last 12 months the trail wasn't to littered with fallen trees.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

First of the day

After seeing nothing but brookies for a spell, I was almost convinced the browns had been displaced.

Things seemed to slow a bit, but I did notice a couple good hits at a descending offering near the surface.  Perhaps the fish were looking up. I tied on a dry and broke out a 3 year old can of floatant I never use...shit, the damn thing was empty.  What the heck, a stimmy will float without it.  After a few casts, a fish busted the top.  Keep in mind, I have never caught a trout of a dry.  Bass yes, Crappie yes, but not a brown in a pisser that sees pressure.  This was a nice fish, perhaps 13"+.  I was kinda in a tight spot with no net, and when I tried to grab the it, it came undone.

The scenery at this creek never disappoints.

Stopped about 2.5-3 miles at the foot of the upper gorge which I have yet to fish.

What a wonderful time of year both on the stream and at the house.  Rose action peaked just before the rain  but still isn't shabby.

Vegetables in the garden are starting to yield.  The bok choy, asparagus, spinach, and beet tops were harvested from the backyard garden served with the Tuna.

Woolly Bugger

Good stuff there dry fly boy!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jwgnc

I didn't know these streams held tuna
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Dougfish

Good going, Ken! 'c;
Nice garden, and Portmeirion stoneware, ftw.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Nice fish, scenery, and photography, Ken.  /'/
Now wait-- you ARE kidding about the "first"dry fly thing, right?

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on May 07, 2019, 06:56:58 AMNice fish, scenery, and photography, Ken.  /'/
Now wait-- you ARE kidding about the "first"dry fly thing, right?

I'm not. 

Phil

Well I 'll be dipped in shit

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Phil on May 07, 2019, 07:07:18 AMWell I 'll be dipped in shit

careful Phil, PFF is just around the corner...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

V:;  Dry flies are overrated.

Dee-Vo

We need to just explore the entire damned gorge. I only caught one brown the last time I was up in there. That creek doesn't really appeal to me like it does for many guys -- I don't know why.

I'm noticing that many of us have our own particular haunts regardless of fish productivity. For one reason or another we as individuals have places to fish that just make us happy being there. My two fave creeks are neither super or overly productive. I just love being in there miles from the people and the roads. The natural blend of fish, wilderness, wildlife, and seclusion is a treasure that far too many people never embrace.

Onslow

This flora along this stream is the best in the Yaddy watershed imo.

Laurel Creek up at the Blue Ridge Mt. Club land is the prettiest creek in the Yadkin watershed, but the otters are fat, water is gin clear, and the fish don't play much up there.

Fin

itieuglyflies

The joys of Springtime; beautiful garden, good eats, and a trout adventure. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

What is a dry fly?

The Dude

Quote from: Dougfish on May 07, 2019, 06:24:24 AMGood going, Ken! 'c;
Nice garden, and Portmeirion stoneware, ftw.

I'd like to officially nominate this for "gayest post of the year" (gpoty).
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Dougfish

Hahaha. I concur.  :banana072:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006