Action Alert: U.S. Coast Guard to Remove Aids to Navigation in Barden Inlet

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 26, 2019, 10:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

U.S. Coast Guard Proposal to Remove Aids to Navigation in Barden Inlet:

Due to significant shoaling between Barden Inlet Buoy 8 and Barden Inlet Light 35, the U.S. Coast Guard is proposing to permanently discontinue 21 aids to navigation (almost all of the remaining markers in the area). Captain's licensed by the U.S. Coast Guard would be operating in "non-navigable channels" and would be subject to loss of their license should there be any kind of accident involving a ferry or tour service. In a recent meeting the U.S. Coast Guard suggested this proposal would also affect insurance rates for companies operating in the area.

Cape Lookout National Seashore is only accessible by boat, and Barden Inlet, a federally mandated channel, is the main access. This proposal would affect National Park Service authorized ferry and tour services to over 120,000 visitors, and about 100,000 recreational boat visitors. Our authorized passenger ferry service to Cape Lookout Lighthouse and Shackleford Banks has suggested that if this happens, they would have no choice but to discontinue service to the park.

Interested Mariners and other stakeholders are strongly encouraged to comment on the potential impacts this proposal would have on navigational safety. You may provide feedback using the U. S. Coast Guard Fifth District Waterway Data Sheet, available online at 5th Coast Guard District Special Notice Waterway Feedback Form

All comments will be carefully considered and are requested prior to May 6, 2019 to be considered in the analysis. Refer to project number 05-19-029(D)
Send comments to CGD5Waterways@uscg.mil or mail to:
U.S. Coast Guard Fifth District
Waterways Management (dpw)
431 Crawford Street, Room 100
Portsmouth, VA 23704
Attn: Ethan Coble
Portsmouth, VA 23704

*my bolding of text
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

Wow. That will eliminate 90% of the traffic on the isle. The is another ferry that runs about 20 miles north. Maybe with out all the traffic they will remove the invasive horses.