News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

WNC Blue Line 6/16

Started by badankles, June 17, 2006, 23:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badankles

many thanks to jscagline for the secret hole.   :-X   0--0  hence, i decided to hit the NC blue line instead with my day pass (father's day present).    it was a heck of a drive, but very worth it.  this would be my second true blue, the first was at SNP back in feb (burrr!!).

arrived about noon and left around 6PM...beautiful high 70s, mostly sunny...didn't have a thermometer so not sure on water temp, sorry, but i wet waded comfortably.  several hatches occurred throughout (my entomology is nil, so couldn't tell you the names, sorry).  found my combination so i stuck with a #14 EHC yellow and a #20 black gnat about 18" apart, switched to black ant when the gnat got too frazzled.  tried others: adams, mosquito, PMD, HE, but were not as successful.  (forgot the copper john, dang)   o-o

beautiful fishes and fiesty.  all around 7-10", though i missed a couple that could have easily been 12-14".  missed more than brought to hand.  thanks again jscagline.   ;D

put in point and worked upstream.  it was a bit tight with my 8'6" rod, but the mid-flex helped.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

figured i put the net to use since i brought it (didn't really need it...live and learn)   ::)

missed a big'un here.  he shot up to the EHC...my eyes got real big...i was in shock so i missed setting the hook.   o-o

hope your father's day gift was/is as good as this...  ;D
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

troutphisher

Wow! that looks like really good water, and fun to fish!
Some good fish too.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Bloy

Mr. Badankles, Real good camera work. I love pictures. Seems like a very nice day.
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

Woolly Bugger

looks like you picked a winner!  Glad you had a good urn...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jamie

Nice job 0--0! Thanks for sharing.
"I don't much care for hatchery trout. They're better than no trout at all, but otherwise they're inferior in every way to their wild relatives" - John Gierach

AlaskaBill

Great Pictures. Thanks  0--0

larrybug

great report   gives me chills and makes my stomach tight to see such a beautiful place

jscagline

Great Pictures!

Thanks for the report.  I hope you found it to your liking!  I used to guide on these waters for folks who were "hard core" wild and native junkies.  There are some places around that mountain that I and some close friends of mine have access to that most other folks will only get shot!  (I wish I were kidding about that :o)

Thanks again for the report,

Tight Lines!

Jim
The truth hurts but not as much as a gas guzzling, eco wrecking SUV hitting you at 100 MPH!  Yeah baby, yeah!

flyman

QuotePosted on: Today at 12:00:37 pmPosted by: jscagline I use to quide these waters for floks who were "hard core" wild and native junkies

??? It may very well be classified wild water. but it appears to contain some escapees 8) Maybe my understanding of terms like blue line, wild, and natives is askew ::)
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

jscagline

Quote from: flyman on June 20, 2006, 15:29:26 PM

QuotePosted on: Today at 12:00:37 pmPosted by: jscagline I use to quide these waters for floks who were "hard core" wild and native junkies

??? It may very well be classified wild water. but it appears to contain some escapees 8) Maybe my understanding of terms like blue line, wild, and natives is ascue ::)

What would be askew?  This is a typical "blue line" in as much as most of the best water is NOT actually concidered part of the creek and only shows as a blue line on the maps.  It IS designated as "wild" trout water and has the coresponding special regs (and Lordy Lordy, don't let officer Holtzclaw catch you misbehaving :o)  and this water supports some of the most beautiful NATIVES I ever had the pleasure to behold.

Nope...you're not askew! ;D
The truth hurts but not as much as a gas guzzling, eco wrecking SUV hitting you at 100 MPH!  Yeah baby, yeah!

flyman

badankles,
Sorry for the hijack, glad you had a good time. :) Nice photos!

JS- I'm sorry, but I disagree. It may very well be considered or regulated as a wild stream. But quite often stocked fish, especially this time of year will migrate quite a ways upstream, often into the tributaries of a stocked stream. At the very least the brook trout are stockers ::)

jscagline

Quote from: flyman on June 20, 2006, 19:33:00 PM
badankles,
Sorry for the hijack, glad you had a good time. :) Nice photos!

JS- I'm sorry, but I disagree. It may very well be considered or regulated as a wild stream. But quite often stocked fish, especially this time of year will migrate quite a ways upstream, often into the tributaries of a stocked stream. At the very least the brook trout are stockers ::)

No problem, I see what you mean about the brookie.  I guess it is inevitable that some stockers will make their way there.  However...I would invite you to fish it with me if you do not already know where it is.  I would say that over 80% of the trout in that stream are wild or native though.  You should see the browns! ;) :

Honest, It's and open invitation if you like... :)  PM me and we'll make arrangements...

flyman

JS,
Thanks that is very nice of you 0--0

Badankles,
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to split hairs or take away from a your post. It was obviously a nice trip ;)