News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Perplexing Brookie Stream

Started by Big J, March 31, 2019, 17:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

The probable reason I said high pH earlier on, is because many of my growers fight high pH and high alkalinity (buffering capacity). I try to get people's water to 5.8 - 6.2 pH so they can grow their best plants. Often involves acid injection.
The exact opposite of what we want for our streams.
ANC means buffering capacity to little ol me.
Water with high alkalinity takes a lot of acid to move the pH down.
Water with low alkalinity is too easy moved in either direction.
As I understand it:
The streams with the majority silicate rock strata have low alkalinity.
The streams with granite and basalt bases, have more limestone and a higher alkalinity
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

22midge

AGNDF so just move on and try another spot....simple as that cant change it  0:0  0:0
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: 22midge on April 02, 2019, 12:57:44 PMAGNDF so just move on and try another spot....simple as that cant change it  0:0  0:0

Not to be argumentative, but we can change it, and might be doing so, presently.  Decades of acids in snow, rain, and dry deposition exhausted the ANC in some of these streams – what little that some of them had.  I believe the levels of atmospheric deposition have declined over the last ~ 20 years.  Clean Air Act?  Firmer environmental regulations? 

The pleasure principle or instant gratification --- I'm as guilty as the next rube, but if we wait and maintain an environmental vigilance, and more importantly live long enough, we may see some of these waters return to glory. 

https://news.virginia.edu/content/virginia-brook-trout-streams-mostly-recovering-acid-deposition

What does AGNDF mean?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

22midge

sorry just being an asshole...... ain't got no damn fish
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: 22midge on April 02, 2019, 16:36:43 PMsorry just being an asshole...... ain't got no damn fish

Thanks PeeWee.  Nope, you ain't an asshole, even when you think you're being an asshole.  You are one of the least assholish individuals I've ever met from this asylum.  As been said before, you are not an asshole if you are cognizant of being an asshole.  All the real assholes I know have no idea they are assholes.

Fellow life member of DTF.

Onslow

Big J should have fished on average 3.6 inches deeper. 

The discussed creek doesn't have enough culverts to flow through.  I think creeks populated with metal culverts fish better than the ones with plastic culverts, especially if the PH is below 4.89.

The Dude

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on April 02, 2019, 15:54:27 PM
Quote from: 22midge on April 02, 2019, 12:57:44 PMAGNDF so just move on and try another spot....simple as that cant change it  0:0  0:0

Not to be argumentative, but we can change it, and might be doing so, presently.  Decades of acids in snow, rain, and dry deposition exhausted the ANC in some of these streams – what little that some of them had.  I believe the levels of atmospheric deposition have declined over the last ~ 20 years.  Clean Air Act?  Firmer environmental regulations? 

The pleasure principle or instant gratification --- I'm as guilty as the next rube, but if we wait and maintain an environmental vigilance, and more importantly live long enough, we may see some of these waters return to glory. 

https://news.virginia.edu/content/virginia-brook-trout-streams-mostly-recovering-acid-deposition

What does AGNDF mean?

That story was written 8 years ago.  That's like 2 1/2 generations of brook trout.  Do you know if the 2020 survey is a go?
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: The Dude on April 03, 2019, 06:47:25 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on April 02, 2019, 15:54:27 PM

What does AGNDF mean?

That story was written 8 years ago.  That's like 2 1/2 generations of brook trout.  Do you know if the 2020 survey is a go?

John, I don't know for sure.  My guess is the research continues, but some of the UVA team are getting long-in-the-tooth.  I can't imagine the Hoos relinquishing this feather in their cap.  Even as a Hokie, I always respected and trusted this investigation and results; that UVA team has done one hell of a job!   

Their site may tell us.  Sorry, no time here -- cleaning/organizing all my turkey gear. 

http://people.virginia.edu/~alr8m/POST/scripts/overview.php

benben reincarnated