unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Colorado to reuse water for drinking, creating new supply

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. — When Eric Seufert brewed a test batch of beer in 2017 with water from recycled sewage, he wasn't too concerned about the outcome. The engineering firm that approached him about the test explained the process, and together they sipped samples of recycled water. Seufert quickly understood it wasn't too different from how water is normally handled.

"Every stream and river in this country has someone putting in their wastewater after they've treated it," he said.

After tapping the keg and having a taste, the owner of 105 West Brewing Co. here served it at his bar. Brewing beer, cooking food, and refilling water bottles with recycled wastewater could soon become standard practice in this state.

Earlier this month, Colorado's water quality agency gave unanimous preliminary approval to regulate direct potable reuse — the process of treating sewage and sending it directly to taps without first being dispersed in a larger water body. Pending a final vote in November, the state would become the first to adopt direct potable reuse regulations, officials say.

"Having well-developed regulations ... helps ensure projects are safe and that project proponents know what will be required of them," said Laura Belanger, water resources engineer with the nonprofit Western Resource Advocates.

https://www.wyomingnews.com/news/local_news/colorado-to-reuse-water-for-drinking-creating-new-supply/article_f438f7f2-f814-5752-995b-57ff46f41ab0.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Feds begin 'expedited' process to help save drought-stricken Colorado River

>>>The US Department of Interior announced Friday it is launching an "expedited" process to potentially change water-flow operations on the drought-stricken Colorado River, as Lake Mead and Lake Powell have fallen to alarming new lows.

In the possible actions it laid out, Interior said it will consider using its federal authority to restrict water releases through the Glen Canyon and Hoover Dams to help maintain water in Mead and Powell – the nation's two largest reservoirs – and prevent the dams from losing the ability to generate hydroelectricity.

Hydropower from the two dams is distributed to customers across eight Western states, according to the Bureau of Reclamation, and the levels of each reservoir are declining so much, experts fear they could stop producing power in the coming years.

>>>Interior said Friday it would soon issue a notice of intent saying the Bureau of Reclamation may need to modify the current operations of Glen Canyon Dam and reduce its water releases downstream – which could cause water levels at Mead to drop further. This would be done in order to make sure the Glen Canyon Dam can continue operating and generating power.

It also said Reclamation may also need to restrict downstream water releases from the Hoover Dam itself "in order to protect Hoover Dam operations, system integrity, and public health and safety."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/28/us/colorado-river-lake-mead-powell-drought-plan-climate

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Residents in eligible areas can apply for the Utah Water Savers Landscape Rebate pilot program starting on Friday, October 28, 2022. Applications will be limited as this is a pilot program. We will announce additional application periods as spaces open up. You may receive up to $1 per square foot for replacing lawn with drought-resistant landscaping, maximum rebate of $50,000.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

This will be interesting; will the United States once again cheat the Native Americans and renig on a treaty.

Supreme Court will reconsider Navajos' claim for more water from the Colorado River

With California and the Southwest facing a historic drought, the Supreme Court agreed Friday to review a 9th Circuit Court decision that held the Navajo Nation has a right to take more water from the Colorado River.
The appeals court had pointed to the 1868 treaty in which the U.S. government agreed the Navajos would have a "permanent home" on their reservation, ruling the treaty "necessarily implied rights" to an adequate amount of water to live and farm.

"It is clear that the Reservation cannot exist as a viable homeland for the Nation without an adequate water supply," wrote Judge Ronald M. Gould, yet "many homes on the Reservation lack running water."

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2022-11-04/supreme-court-will-reconsider-navajos-claim-for-more-water-from-the-colorado-river

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Wells are running dry in drought-weary Southwest as foreign-owned farms guzzle water to feed cattle overseas

>>>>Workers with the water district in Wenden, Arizona, saw something remarkable last year as they slowly lowered a camera into the drought-stricken town's well: The water was moving.

But the aquifer which sits below the small desert town in the southwestern part of the state is not a river; it's a massive, underground reservoir which stores water built up over thousands of years. And that water is almost always still.

Gary Saiter, a longtime resident and head of the Wenden Water Improvement District, said the water was moving because it was being pumped rapidly out of the ground by a neighboring well belonging to Al Dahra, a United Arab Emirates-based company farming alfalfa in the Southwest.

Al Dahra did not respond to multiple requests for comment on this story.

"The well guys and I have never seen anything like this before," Saiter told CNN. The farm was "pumping and it was sucking the water through the aquifer."

Groundwater is the lifeblood of the rural Southwest, but just as the Colorado River Basin is in crisis, aquifers are rapidly depleting from decades of overuse, worsening drought and rampant agricultural growth

>>>Now frustration is growing in Arizona's La Paz County, as shallower wells run dry amid the Southwest's worst drought in 1,200 years. Much of the frustration is pointed at the area's huge, foreign-owned farms growing thirsty crops like alfalfa, which ultimately get shipped to feed cattle and other livestock overseas.

"You can't take water and export it out of the state, there's laws about that," said Arizona geohydrologist Marvin Glotfelty, a well-drilling expert. "But you can take 'virtual' water and export it; alfalfa, cotton, electricity or anything created in part from the use of water."

Residents and local officials say lax groundwater laws give agriculture the upper hand, allowing farms to pump unlimited water as long as they own or lease the property to drill wells into. In around 80% of the state, Arizona has no laws overseeing how much water corporate megafarms are using, nor is there any way for the state to track it.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/05/us/arizona-water-foreign-owned-farms-climate/index.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Page, Arizona has a front row seat to the Colorado River crisis

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>Tobyn Pilot took a few crunchy footsteps through the rough red dirt near the edge of a towering cliff. Pilot, an operator at the water plant in Page, Arizona, pulled out a hefty collection of keys and unlocked a tiny plywood-paneled shed just a few feet from the brink. The building is barely bigger than an outhouse, but it's a pivotal part of keeping the taps flowing.

"The town's water comes right through this shack," Pilot said, revealing a small setup of pumps behind the creaking shed door. "Isn't that crazy to think?"

Hundreds of feet below, the Colorado River calmly chugged along. It's here, on the dusty precipice, that water from that river is redirected into the Page's city pipes.

As the once-mighty Colorado dries up at the hands of a changing climate, communities that rely on it are starting to feel the pinch. Many large cities in the Southwest are well-positioned to weather the growing crisis, but some smaller ones have a perilous front row seat as the shrinking river threatens to cut off their water supply completely. Page is one of them.

https://www.kuer.org/health-science-environment/2022-11-18/page-arizona-has-a-front-row-seat-to-the-colorado-river-crisis

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on December 05, 2022, 16:03:16 PMHe poses the question like it's a new idea. 🤣🤣

Dude, it's just the money
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Growing fears of 'dead pool' on Colorado River as drought threatens Hoover Dam water

Outlining their latest projections for Lake Powell and Lake Mead, the nation's two largest reservoirs, federal water managers said there is a risk Lake Mead could reach "dead pool" levels in 2025. If that were to happen, water would no longer flow downstream from Hoover Dam.

"We are in a crisis. Both lakes could be two years away from either dead pool or so close to dead pool that the flow out of those dams is going to be a horribly small number. And it just keeps getting worse," said Tom Buschatzke, director of the Arizona Department of Water Resources.

He said there is a real danger that if the coming year is extremely dry, "it might be too late to save the lakes."

https://phys.org/news/2022-12-dead-pool-colorado-river-drought.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?