unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Colorado River Flows Once Again to Gulf of California

>>>On May 1, 2021, the river once again flowed in its delta thanks to an agreement between the United States and Mexico dubbed Minute 323. Through Oct. 11, a total of 35,000 acre-feet of water (11.4 billion gallons) will be released downstream from Morelos Dam on the U.S.-Mexico border to quench the thirst of this long-withered ecosystem.

The mammoth endeavor to rejuvenate the river delta was years in the making and involved dozens of people, including water managers, policymakers, scientists, conservationists, and nonprofits from both sides of the border.

"We provide a lot of brainpower and blood, sweat, and tears, and commitment to this," says Nancy Smith, Colorado River Program conservation director at the Nature Conservancy.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.publicnewsservice.org/2021-09-07/water/colorado-river-flows-once-again-to-gulf-of-california/a75603-1
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

These images from space show how much the reservoirs and lakes of the West have dried up
Satellite views four years apart from a chronicler of the world's largest lakes show the startling effects of the Western mega-drought.

Slide right, and create a new island. Slide left, and go back to a recent time when the West had enough water to actually fill its lakes.

A self-described lakes geek currently living in the European Union likes to teach people about their wild surroundings by creating before-and-after views of the world's great bodies of water, using satellite photos taken years apart. Catalin Trif and his lakepedia.com site compile a wealth of information about big lakes, and he reached out to The Colorado Sun after a seemingly unending series of Western drought stories caught his eye.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/09/06/western-drought-biggest-lakes-dry-up/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Colorado River Basin is experiencing its 22nd year of drought. Its reservoirs are at their lowest-ever levels. The water stored in the system is at just 40 percent of its capacity. How did the situation on the Colorado become so dire? And what does the shortage mean for the 40 million people who rely on its waters?

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Cottages of Boone Wastewater Tank Overflows Due to Mechanical Error

The Cottages of Boone, located at 615 Fallview Lane in Boone, North Carolina, experienced a discharge of untreated domestic wastewater. The housing development operates an on-site wastewater treatment system that is permitted through the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality's Division of Water Resources and serves 894 bedrooms and ancillary facilities.

The Cottage of Boone WWTP facility's equalization tank overflowed as the result of an emergent mechanical error that occurred at the treatment facility. The discharge is believed to have started late Monday, September 13, and ended at approximately 8:00 p.m. It is estimated that approximately 4,725 gallons of untreated wastewater were discharged to Laurel Fork stream within the Watauga River Basin during the event. A local sludge hauling company arrived on-site and pumped 12,000 gallons of raw wastewater from the equalization tank, stopping the overflow.

https://www.hcpress.com/front-page/cottages-of-boone-wastewater-tank-overflows-due-to-mechanical-error.html?fbclid=IwAR2J2Il7CQm4kmcd493KgEBv8gsmwzcDWNeKjtoOY-X-lrNfc4EJVroCYto

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Bad News Keeps Flowing For The Colorado River

>>>Federal officials project more bad news for the drought-stressed Colorado River, which provides water to Las Vegas and much of the Southwest.

The Bureau of Reclamation issued a report last week saying there is a high likelihood over the next few years that California, the river's largest water user, will join Nevada, Arizona, and Mexico in seeing cuts to its allocation.

"This is not breaking in the way that something just changed to make it happen," said Alex Hager, who covers the river for KUNC, "but it is incredibly serious news."

"The projections are not painting a particularly rosy picture for years to come," he told State of Nevada, "but I will say, in talking to folks around the basin, it seems like there is a lot of contingency planning for this. But no one is creating more water. No one is bringing more water into this basin."

Listen to the discussion

https://knpr.org/knpr/2021-09/bad-news-keeps-flowing-colorado-river

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Colorado River Is in Crisis. The Walton Family Is Pushing a Solution.
Walmart heirs have spent heavily to promote their view that water markets are the best way to deal with a dwindling supply

>>>A Wall Street Journal analysis shows that a charitable foundation controlled by the Waltons, the Walton Family Foundation, has given about $200 million over the past decade to a variety of advocacy groups, universities and media outlets involved in the river. No other donor comes close. Two federal officials once affiliated with the foundation have been named to key Biden administration posts overseeing the river.

Putting a monetary value on water has raised concerns among those who benefit from guaranteed access to water and those who believe markets benefit investors while hurting farmers and the poor. Water markets in Australia have been blamed for helping dry up waterways due to overuse by a handful of wealthy farmers and investors.

"Any time that the water starts becoming more valuable than the land, you end up with the possibility of outside speculators," said Andrew Mueller, general manager of the Colorado River District, a public planning and policy agency that oversees water use in western Colorado. Mr. Mueller said his state has been seeing continued interest in agricultural water and lands by outside investment groups.

The Walton foundation has for years held that water markets are among the best ways to distribute and conserve the water that flows along the 1,450-mile river. A number of environmental groups that take Walton money are prominent water-market boosters

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-colorado-river-is-in-crisis-the-walton-family-is-pushing-a-solution-11633167002

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

This discussion covers a lot of the complicated water rights issues in Montana.

David Brooks on Saving Water for Trout
The Orvis Fly-Fishing Podcast

QuoteIn this week's podcast, my guest is David Brooks [43:45], executive director of Montana Trout Unlimited. With prevailing drought conditions in the western United Sates and increased demand from many users, from agriculture to municipalities to recreational angling, how can we balance the use of water? David explains the difference between the riparian doctrine used mostly in the eastern United Sates, and the prior appropriation doctrine used in western states, and explains how users have come together to apportion water for human use and for keeping enough water in rivers to support healthy trout populations. It's not easy and often contentious but it's a fascinating issue and there is hope that with wise use of water by all stakeholders we can support ranchers, farmers, cities, and healthy trout populations.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/david-brooks-on-saving-water-for-trout/id278930814?i=1000537177346
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Never though about water until I lived in Southern Cal, I knew then as the population expanded it was going to be more and more of a problem. It's complicated, it's more than just weather cycles.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Native American tribes plea for help as Colorado River dries up
ABC News' Kayna Whitworth reports on the drought in the southwest, where over 40 million people, including 29 Native American tribes, are forced to ration water as the Colorado River dries up.

Watch a video report:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/native-american-tribes-plea-colorado-river-dries-80446169
me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Maybe in retrospect, it's not a good idea to keep building mondo cities full of millions of people in the middle of a desert?
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

Ancient groundwater: Why the water you're drinking may be thousands of years old

>>>As rising temperatures and drought dry up rivers and melt mountain glaciers, people are increasingly dependent on the water under their feet. Groundwater resources currently supply drinking water to nearly half the world's population and roughly 40% of water used for irrigation globally.

What many people don't realize is how old – and how vulnerable – much of that water is.

Most water stored underground has been there for decades, and much of it has sat for hundreds, thousands or even millions of years. Older groundwater tends to reside deep underground, where it is less easily affected by surface conditions such as drought and pollution.

As shallower wells dry out under the pressure of urban development, population growth and climate change, old groundwater is becoming increasingly important.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.nevadacurrent.com/2021/10/24/ancient-groundwater-why-the-water-youre-drinking-may-be-thousands-of-years-old/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The sand is there, but low water levels halt a controlled flood to restore Grand Canyon's beaches

The Southwest's active monsoon season this year washed tons of sand into the Colorado River, where it could have helped shore up the Grand Canyon's withering beaches, if not for one big problem: The water stored behind Glen Canyon Dam is at an all-time low after more than two decades of drought.

As a result, the federal government's dam managers have hit pause on an environmental program that calls for controlled floods out of Lake Powell when there's enough sand for the water to push up and rebuild sandbars and beaches, preserving the national park's ecology, river trip campsites and archaeological sites.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-environment/2021/11/01/feds-say-theres-too-little-water-spare-grand-canyons-beaches/6201263001/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Colorado's Dolores River should be raging through canyons — instead it's nearly dry

>>>Fish have been around and on the landscape and in these rivers for over a million years - we know that - up to 2 million years. These fish have evolved with low and high flows. So they can handle a certain amount of that. But what they can't handle is essentially a dry channel.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/02/1051363365/colorados-dolores-river-should-be-raging-through-canyons-instead-its-nearly-dry
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?