unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

The US May Be About to Declare Its First-Ever Water Shortage
Nevada, California, and especially Arizona could be affected by a shortfall of water beginning this coming August.

>>>This coming August, for the first time in its history, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation is likely to issue a Level 1 Water Shortage Declaration which would trigger mandatory cuts in water consumption primarily in two states — Arizona and Nevada.

This past week, the bureau released its 24-month projection for water contained in the 1,450-mile-long (2,333 km) Colorado River. The river originates on the Western Slope of the Rocky Mountains in northern Colorado and is fed by the Green, Gunnison, and San Juan rivers.

https://interestingengineering.com/us-about-to-declare-its-first-water-shortage
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

When shit gets real, maybe a few folks will wake up.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 22, 2021, 12:18:02 PMThe US May Be About to Declare Its First-Ever Water Shortage
Nevada, California, and especially Arizona could be affected by a shortfall of water beginning this coming August.

>>>This coming August, for the first time in its history, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation is likely to issue a Level 1 Water Shortage Declaration which would trigger mandatory cuts in water consumption primarily in two states — Arizona and Nevada.

This past week, the bureau released its 24-month projection for water contained in the 1,450-mile-long (2,333 km) Colorado River. The river originates on the Western Slope of the Rocky Mountains in northern Colorado and is fed by the Green, Gunnison, and San Juan rivers.
https://interestingengineering.com/us-about-to-declare-its-first-water-shortage

This should've happened 5 years ago.  I cannot figure out how grass lawns are allowed in areas that tap the Colorado for water.

Dear Climate refugee, NC is full.  Piss off, and haul your asses VA.

Woolly Bugger

Western tribes already lacked water access. Now there's a megadrought.

Why some tribal advocates and water experts are feeling hopeful.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>On paper, the 30 federally recognized tribes in the Colorado River Basin have access to 20 percent of the river's annual flow. But in practice, tribes in the basin only have access to a tiny fraction of the river's water, despite the federal government's fiduciary responsibility to protect tribal treaty rights and resources. In order to turn paper rights into permanent wet water rights, tribes have to enter into a complicated legal process called a water settlement with the federal government, states, water districts, and private users. Such settlements take years; they're expensive, complicated, and have to be authorized by Congress. "If the federal government were to do the settlements, they'd have to provide the infrastructure, provide the pipelines to actually move the water to the tribe," Berggren said. "If they were to, overnight, sign settlements with all 30 tribes for all 20 percent of water, there's concern that that would further 'break the system,' so to speak."

https://grist.org/politics/why-hope-might-be-on-the-horizon-for-western-tribes-water-woes/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Melting Snow Usually Means Water For The West. But This Year, It Might Not Be Enough

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

"Mega-drought" takes dramatic toll on Colorado River system that provides water to 40 million people

>>>For more than eight decades, the iconic Hoover Dam has relied on water from Nevada's Lake Mead to cover up its backside. But now, at age 85, it finds itself uncomfortably exposed. Much of the water the dam is supposed to be holding back is gone.

"This is like a different world," said Pat Mulroy, the former head of the Southern Nevada Water Authority. She told CBS News senior national and environmental correspondent Ben Tracy that Lake Mead, the nation's largest reservoir, is on track to soon hit its lowest level ever recorded.

This part of the Colorado River system is a crucial water supply for Las Vegas, Phoenix and Southern California. It makes the vast agricultural land of the desert Southwest possible.

Watch the video on the link below

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mega-drought-colorado-river-system-water-40-million-people/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Hoover Dam, a symbol of the modern West, faces an epic water shortage
The effects of drought and climate change are seen at Hoover Dam, which will soon hold the smallest amount of water since it was filled in the 1930s.

>>>BOULDER CITY, Nev. – Hoover Dam towers more than 700 feet above Black Canyon on the Arizona-Nevada state line, holding back the waters of the Colorado River. On top of the dam, where visitors peer down the graceful white arc of its face, one of its art deco-style towers is adorned with a work of art that memorializes the purposes of the dam.

In five relief sculptures by Oskar Hansen, muscular men grip a boat's wheel, harvest an armful of wheat, stand beside cascading water and lift a heavy weight overhead. Words encapsulate why the dam was built, as laid out in a 1928 law: FLOOD CONTROL, NAVIGATION, IRRIGATION, WATER STORAGE and POWER.

Eighty-six years after its completion in 1935, the infrastructure at Hoover Dam continues doing what it was designed to do: holding water and sending it coursing through intake tunnels, spinning turbines and generating electricity. The rules for managing the river and dividing up its water – which were laid down nearly a century ago in the 1922 Colorado River Compact and repeatedly tweaked – face the greatest strains since the dam was built.

The effects of years of severe drought and temperatures pushed higher by climate change are striking along Lake Mead's retreating shorelines near Las Vegas, where the growing "bathtub ring" of whitish minerals coats the rocky desert slopes.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/nation/2021/06/06/hoover-dam-drought-water-levels-lake-mead/5291323001/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Amid mega-drought, rightwing militia stokes water rebellion in US west
Demonstrations have sparked fears of a confrontation between law enforcement and rightwing anti-government activist

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/08/klamath-falls-oregon-protests-ammon-bundy
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Take a short quizz...

How Much Do You Know About U.S. Rivers?
They benefit people, wildlife, ecosystems, and economies—but many face serious threats

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/articles/2021/06/09/how-much-do-you-know-about-us-rivers
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

With new law, Las Vegas water agency bets on 'aggressive municipal water conservation measure' to remove decorative turf, conserve Colorado River supply

>>>With Lake Mead approaching critically-low levels, the Southern Nevada Water Authority recently turned to the Legislature to double-down on its existing strategy for using less water: turf removal.

Earlier this year, Las Vegas water planners asked the Legislature to pass a new law that prohibits water-intensive decorative turf within medians, along roads and in business parks. Lawmakers approved it with little opposition and Gov. Steve Sisolak signed the bill on Friday.

Now, the water authority, which serves the Las Vegas metro area, is tasked with implementing what its general manager, John Entsminger, described as probably "the most aggressive municipal water conservation measure that's been taken in the western United States."

For decades, the water authority has been looking at the prolonged drought and preparing for shortages. Officials with the agency stress that they are able to weather the expected cuts because Las Vegas is already consuming less water than it is entitled to use.

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/with-new-law-las-vegas-water-agency-bets-on-aggressive-municipal-water-conservation-measure-to-remove-decorative-turf-conserve-colorado-river-supply

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Regulators approve emergency rules to allow halt of Russian River diversions for thousands of water right holders

>>>The state water board has unanimously approved emergency regulations behind a move to halt Russian River diversions for up to 2,400 water right holders, part of a wider effort to conserve dwindling supplies in Lake Sonoma and Lake Mendocino.

The 5-0 vote of the State Water Resources Control Board late Tuesday came over the objections raised by agricultural interests and allies who argued the new rule was too blunt a tool to use to address the worsening drought.

Hundreds of Sonoma and Mendocino county grape growers, ranchers, rural residents and even some municipal suppliers are on notice that they could have their rights suspended under the move.

Already, about 930 water right holders in the upper river, north of Healdsburg, have been told there is insufficient water in the system for them to take any this year.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/regulators-approve-emergency-rules-to-allow-halt-of-russian-river-diversion/amp/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://californianewstimes.com/the-west-is-the-driest-its-been-in-1200-years/391330/

The West Is The Driest Its Been In 1200 Years

>>>Trees are dying. Riverbeds are empty. Lake Mead's water level dropped to its lowest point in history, and Utah's governor asked residents to pray for rain.Water is increasingly scarce in the Western U.S. — where 72 percent of the region is in "severe" drought, 26 percent is in exceptional drought, and populations are booming.Insufficient monsoon rains last summer and low snowpacks over the winter left states like Arizona, Utah and Nevada without the typical amount of water they need, and forecasts for the rainy summer season don't show promise.This year's aridity is happening against the backdrop of a 20-year-long drought. The past two decades have been the driest or the second driest in the last 1,200 years in the West, posing existential questions about how to secure a livable future in the region.It's time to ask, "Is this a drought, or is it just the way the hydrology of the Colorado River is going to be?" said John Entsminger, the general manager of the Southern Nevada Water Authority.A parched Sin CityGreater Las Vegas is one of the fastest-growing metropolitan areas in the country, home to more than 2.2 million people, and it gets just over 4 inches of rain in a good year.Around 90 percent of the water comes from Lake Mead, the reservoir on the Colorado River formed by the Hoover Dam, which is currently 36 percent full.The drought has been so persistent that the Southern Nevada Water Authority and many other groups in the region have spent the last 20 years preparing for a drier future."It isn't sneaking up on us," Entsminger said. "Since 2002, our population has increased close to 50 percent, about 750,000 people in the last 19 years or so, and over that same time our aggregated depletions from the Colorado River have gone down 23 percent."
me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

I have a great idea. Let's build a bunch of huge cities in the middle of a desert.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Vegas needs to go bye bye. It is an utterly useless black hole of excess and gluttony. Cruise ships as well.