unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

It's going to be all about the water, sooner than later.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/a-future-no-one-could-see-capped-nevadas-share-of-colorado-river-water-1603391/

QuoteWhen representatives from seven Western states met in Santa Fe, New Mexico, to divvy up the Colorado River in 1922, Las Vegas was a dusty railroad stop with fewer than 2,500 residents.
No one could have imagined this isolated desert community would one day become an international destination with more than 2 million residents and 40 million annual visitors.
No one thought Nevada would ever need more water than it eventually got from those early Colorado River negotiations.

“It strikes me as a forgivable failure of imagination,” said historian Christian Harrison, who earned his doctorate from UNLV. “They probably thought they would land people on Mars before we had so many people living in this valley.”

QuoteWhen construction of Hoover Dam began in 1931, fewer than 100,000 people lived in Nevada, and most of them were in the northern half of the state, far beyond the river’s reach. Clark County, population 8,500, was home to some mines, a few modest farming operations and a newly legal gaming industry, but nothing that seemed to require a major new source of water or the means of delivering it.

Current estimated population 2.2 Million in Clark County 3.1 Million for the state.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Colorado River’s decline poses long-term risks for Southern Nevada

QuoteIt supplies water and power to 40 million people from Wyoming to Mexico and irrigates billions of dollars in cropland used to feed millions more.
No wonder so many people are worried about the Colorado River. Punishing drought has ravaged the system for almost 20 years, shrinking its two largest reservoirs to a record low 40 percent of combined capacity.

A bleached bathtub ring 130 feet tall marks the decline of Lake Mead, which supplies 90 percent of the water used by nearly three-quarters of Nevada residents. That white stripe on the
cliffs surrounding the nation’s largest reservoir is expected to grow another 30 feet over the next two years as farms and cities downstream continue to divert more water than the Colorado can reliably provide.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/colorado-rivers-decline-poses-long-term-risks-for-southern-nevada-1603454/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/03/india-diverting-30-rivers-to-solve-historic-water-crisis/

QuoteIndia today faces a water emergency of historic proportions, with an estimated 600 million peopleâ€"about half the populationâ€"grappling with either severe water shortages or polluted water supplies. Government engineers propose to ease the crisis by shunting “excess” water from one riverbed to another, a colossal refit of nature’s designs that also could help control monsoon flooding, boost irrigation, and generate hydropower for the country’s water-thirsty citizens.
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 08, 2019, 04:11:17 AMhttps://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/03/india-diverting-30-rivers-to-solve-historic-water-crisis/

QuoteIndia today faces a water emergency of historic proportions, with an estimated 600 million peopleâ€"about half the populationâ€"grappling with either severe water shortages or polluted water supplies. Government engineers propose to ease the crisis by shunting “excess” water from one riverbed to another, a colossal refit of nature’s designs that also could help control monsoon flooding, boost irrigation, and generate hydropower for the country’s water-thirsty citizens.

Why, so they can double their population in the next 30 years, and export another 500,000,000 to Europe and the US? They don't have a water problem, they have a population management problem!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on March 08, 2019, 05:43:57 AMWhy, so they can double their population in the next 30 years, and export another 500,000,000 to Europe and the US? They don't have a water problem, they have a population management problem!

Corrected: “They don't have a water problem, we have a population management problem!

From my colonized county of 4500 souls, I say, insular reasoning will get us nowhere

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthieu-ricard/we-are-all-responsible_b_8201790.html
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Man, that scenario would be about as crazy as saying someone could lay pipes through mountains and other obstacles to move water to New York City. Or, we could rob headwaters of a river that flows southwest to the Pacific and pipe it east over the western continental divide so people in Denver can water their lawns.
Dang, we would never be so stupid as to do that!
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Plans to pump the Mojave desert aquafer dry in order to supplement water need of Los Angeles!

QuoteCADIZ VALLEY, Calif. â€" The landscape here is more Martian than Earthly, rust and tan plains that rise in the distance to form the Old Woman Mountains to the east and the Bristols and Marbles to the north and west.
Almost everything here is protected by the federal government. The opportunity or threat, depending on your point of view, lies beneath the dusty surface that, after a recent rain, blooms with sprays of yellow desert dandelion.
There is water here in the Mojave Desert. A lot of it.
Whether to tap it on a commercial scale or leave it alone is a decades-old question the Trump administration has revived and the California legislature is visiting anew. The debate will help resolve whether private enterprise can effectively manage a public necessity in a state where who gets water and where it originates endures as the most volatile political issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/a-massive-aquifer-lies-beneath-the-mojave-desert-could-it-help-solve-californias-water-problem/2019/03/03/a5d8fe14-354e-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.b2f658a3b04e
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I saw an ad for miracle water from this prophet last week on late night TV.  His "Biblical point of contact" H2O might just save the world from total annihilation.

https://peterpopoff.org/
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: undefinedPHOENIX â€" A major Southern California water agency is trying to push the state through a final hurdle in joining a larger plan to preserve a key river in the U.S. West that serves 40 million people.
Most of the seven states that get water from the Colorado River have signed off on plans to keep the waterway from crashing amid a prolonged drought, climate change and increased demands. But California and Arizona have not, missing deadlines from the federal government.

Arizona has some work to do but nothing major holding it back. California, however, has two powerful water agencies fighting over how to get the drought contingency plan approved before U.S. officials possibly impose their own rules for water going to California, Arizona and Nevada.

QuoteThat agency, the Imperial Irrigation District, has said it won't approve the plan unless the federal government agrees to commit $200 million to address the Salton Sea, a massive, briny lake southeast of Los Angeles that has become an environmental and health hazard in the Imperial and Coachella valleys

wait, CA needs Federal money...

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/california-agencies-at-odds-over-colorado-river-drought-plan
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

QuoteFor the moment, Mother Nature is smiling on the Colorado River.
Enough snow has piled up in the mountains that feed the river to stave off a dreaded shortage declaration for one more year, according to federal projections released Friday afternoon.

Just a month ago, forecasters expected Lake Mead to start 2020 about 17 feet lower than it is now, below the trigger point for a first-ever federal shortage declaration on the drought-stricken river.

But several weeks of winter storms across the Mountain States have cut the lake’s expected decline by Jan. 1 roughly in half, leaving the reservoir east of Las Vegas safely above the shortage line, according to the new figures from the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation.

QuoteIn January, they were predicting another dry year, with just 64 percent of the average flow during the river’s peak April through July snowmelt period. By mid-February, that runoff forecast had increased to 74 percent. It hit 102 percent in the Bureau of Reclamation’s latest batch of monthly projections, and Miller said it could climb as high as 130 percent a month from now.

If the latest forecast holds, it would mark just the sixth year of above average flows since 2000 for the river system that supplies 90 percent of the Las Vegas Valley’s drinking water.

“It’s been a much better year than last year. It’s still not enough to break the drought, but it’s certainly a step in the right direction,” Miller said. “My guess is it will get even better. I’m not sure if it will be enough to keep Lake Mead out of shortage.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/wet-winter-likely-to-keep-colorado-river-out-of-shortage-next-year-1619331/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Regional snowmaking expansions a growing concern

An environmental group is raising concerns that the cumulative impacts of numerous snowmaking expansion projects proposed or underway at ski areas throughout the region are not being adequately evaluated by the U.S. Forest Service.

Snowmaking is both a cause of and a response to climate change, Wilderness Workshop argues in an objection filed in response to the White River National Forest’s approval of Aspen Skiing Co.’s project to expand snowmaking and terrain on Aspen Mountain.

The Carbondale-based nonprofit’s objection requested the Forest Service withdraw its November decision in support of the Aspen Mountain project so that a “programmatic environmental impact statement” (EIS) can be drafted looking at the bigger picture. The objection focuses on impacts of increased river depletions to endangered fish in the Colorado River, changes to runoff patterns and increased energy use associated with the system expansions.

https://www.aspendailynews.com/news/regional-snowmaking-expansions-a-growing-concern/article_ffc1a42c-492f-11e9-a5ec-af32490855b3.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/25/california-water-drought-scarce-saudi-arabia

Saudi-based Almarai owns 15,000 acres of an irrigated valley â€" but what business does a foreign food production company have drawing resources from a US desert?

Four hours east of Los Angeles, in a drought-stricken area of a drought-afflicted state, is a small town called Blythe where alfalfa is king. More than half of the town’s 94,000 acres are bushy blue-green fields growing the crop.

Massive industrial storehouses line the southern end of town, packed with thousands upon thousands of stacks of alfalfa bales ready to be fed to dairy cows â€" but not cows in California’s Central Valley or Montana’s rangelands.

Instead, the alfalfa will be fed to cows in Saudi Arabia.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Quotehttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/25/california-water-drought-scarce-saudi-arabia

Saudi-based Almarai owns 15,000 acres of an irrigated valley â€" but what business does a foreign food production company have drawing resources from a US desert?

Four hours east of Los Angeles, in a drought-stricken area of a drought-afflicted state, is a small town called Blythe where alfalfa is king. More than half of the town’s 94,000 acres are bushy blue-green fields growing the crop.

Massive industrial storehouses line the southern end of town, packed with thousands upon thousands of stacks of alfalfa bales ready to be fed to dairy cows â€" but not cows in California’s Central Valley or Montana’s rangelands.

This is the kind of shit that makes me crazy.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

rbphoto

Quote from: Dougfish on March 25, 2019, 17:52:33 PM
Quotehttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/25/california-water-drought-scarce-saudi-arabia

This is the kind of shit that makes me crazy.

There is a ton of money in the Middle East, and they don't mind spending it.  They just do it in ways that most of us don't think about.

My brother-in-law flies over there a few times a year as a dairy consultant.  He attempted to broker some U.S. based feed deals to supply them since they can't grow what they need over there. 

Your example above is exactly they mindset they have about how to supply their needs.

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish