unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Drastic Cuts to Colorado River Water Use Show Depth of West's Drought
Cuts to states' use of Colorado River water are needed to prevent levels in Lake Mead and Lake Powell from dropping below a critical point

>>>The precarious status of the Colorado River was brought into sharper focus today with the release of a federal study that determines how the basin's big reservoirs will be operated in the coming year — and which states will be required to limit their water withdrawals from the shrinking river.

With key water supply reservoirs Mead and Powell near record low levels, Arizona, Nevada, and Mexico will shoulder the largest cuts from the Colorado River to date, forgoing a combined 721,000 acre-feet of water next year. The largest burden falls on Arizona, which will see its allocation reduced by 21 percent. Under the voluntary agreement signed in 2019 that governs the cuts, no other basin state is required to limit its withdrawals.

Federal officials have requested additional reductions in order to protect Mead and Powell, but the seven basin states did not meet a federal deadline to present a plan to conserve between two million and four million acre-feet of water next year. At the high end, that amount of conservation is nearly five times the cuts announced today and roughly equal to a third of the river's recent annual flow.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/drastic-cuts-to-colorado-river-water-use-show-depth-of-wests-drought/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

The drought to some extent is being overblown.  It is consumption that is the problem.

The mouthpieces in our land are too cowardly to assign blame where it deserves to be placed.  It is not big oil and climate change that is to blame for the current situation, but rather Joe public.

No one is force people move to the desert.

No one is forcing people to buy gas.

No one is forcing people to purchase food from the store grown by big ag.

No one is forcing people to purchase electricity.

No one is forcing people to waste food.

People are not forced to get drunk, take fentanyl, heroin.

People should know what the facts are, make careful calculations regarding where they live, work, and what they consume.  Humans are endowed with great brains, but to often fail to use it. More to the point, Americans have generally become dumb entitled spoiled brats that deserve a good bitch slap.

The latest trend is people turning the AC down to 68, and the heat up to 74. WTF.

Woolly Bugger

States dependent on Colorado River wonder if desalination could help the water supply

Severe drought has states dependent on the Colorado River looking at alternatives. Desalinating seawater may be a viable supplement to some areas, but likely can't fix much of the river's deficit.

The Colorado River is shrinking. That prompted federal managers this week to issue mandatory cutbacks for some who use its water. And more are needed. As states that rely on the Colorado River look for other ways to bolster their supply, some are asking if a process called desalination could help. But as Alex Hager of member station KUNC reports, that technology comes with big tradeoffs.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/19/1118519149/states-dependent-on-colorado-river-wonder-if-desalination-could-help-the-water-s
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

In California's water crisis, neighbors turn in neighbors and even celebrities aren't spared
Water authorities have been installing flow restrictors on the homes of the region's wealthiest residents for using too much water

From working-class neighborhoods to the celebrity haunts of Malibu, residents in the Los Angeles area have been getting visits from what is essentially the water police as California remains in a near constant state of drought.

Six million Southern California residents are under the toughest water restrictions in the nation. And because of the patchwork of different agencies overseeing different areas, that means different rules for everyone, sometimes even neighbors who live across the street from each other.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/08/21/california-drought-water-restriction-enforcement/10174631002/?gnt-cfr=1

or

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in-california-s-water-crisis-neighbors-turn-in-neighbors-and-even-celebrities-aren-t-spared/ar-AA10TDG3?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7fbef18d58214db6e687b478dc27988e
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Inherit the Dust
The Colorado River is running out of water. No place will be more affected than the arid metropolis of Phoenix.

Not far from the constant roar of Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport and just a few miles from the massive, air-conditioned stadium of the Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team lies what might be the quietest enclave in the United States' fastest-growing city. Pueblo Grande, the "big house," was settled around AD 450 and for close to 1,000 years was continuously inhabited by the Hohokam people. Home to hundreds of families at any one time, Pueblo Grande was but a single outpost in a sprawling, thriving civilization of as many as 300,000 people at its height. While the Roman Empire was falling into decay, the Hohokam culture was building one of the greatest cities in what would eventually be called the Americas. 

The key to the Hohokam's success in the blistering climate of the Sonoran Desert was a complex network of canals that, at its zenith, was some 500 miles in length, crisscrossing what is now affectionately referred to as the Valley of the Sun. The canals diverted water from the Salt River to irrigate the Hohokam's fields of maize, melons, squash, and beans. No other ancient civilization in the Americas—not even the Inca or the Maya—built a more extensive water conveyance system. Nineteenth- and early-20th-century white settlers marveled at the perfect design of the canals, which, in the words of one observer, were "an engineering triumph." 

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/inherit-the-dust-colorado-river-phoenix-arizona-drought-climate-crisis
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

The region is having the best rainy season in many years, they need to find a way to curb population growth in the region.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

One Planet: The West's unprecedented drought leads to Colorado River cuts -- experts say this is just the beginning

On this edition of Your Call's One Planet Series, we're discussing the declining water levels in the Colorado River and the federal government's new mandatory water cuts for Arizona, Nevada, and Mexico. The Colorado River provides water for 40 million people.

Under Tier two shortage conditions, Arizona's annual water allocation will be reduced by 21 percentage, Nevada's by 8 percentage and Mexico's by 7 percent.

The verdict is especially high-stakes for Southern California, where the river provides a quarter or a third of the region's water supply. Seven Southern California counties rely on the river for water and hydroelectric power, and 600,000 acres of farmland draw on it for irrigation, according to CALMatters.

LISTEN HERE: https://www.kalw.org/show/your-call/2022-08-22/one-planet-the-wests-unprecedented-drought-leads-to-colorado-river-cuts-experts-say-this-is-just-the-beginning
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

As drought dries up the Yangtze river, China loses hydropower

A historic drought in the southwest of China is drying up rivers, intensifying forest fires, damaging crops, and severely curtailing electricity in a region highly dependent on hydropower.

The Yangtze River, the third largest in the world, has dropped to half its average water levels, affecting shipping routes, limiting drinking water supplies, causing rolling blackouts, and even exposing long-submerged Buddhist statues. Some 66 rivers across 34 counties in Chongqing were dried up as of last week, Reuters reported. Also last week, the province of Sichuan, which gets more than 80 percent of its energy from hydropower, cut or limited electricity to thousands of factories in an effort to "leave power for the people." Poyang Lake, the largest freshwater lake in China, is just a quarter of its normal size for this time of year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/as-drought-dries-up-the-yangtze-river-china-loses-hydropower/ar-AA10Zfsd
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Two-thirds of Europe is under some sort of drought warning, in what is likely the worst such event in 500 years.

Europe's drought the worst in 500 years - report https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62648912
me -There's a season?

Onslow

QuoteChina's southwestern Sichuan province has extended its factory shutdowns to Thursday due to a one-month-long heatwave and drought, marking the latest big global supply chain disruption to emanate from the crisis-hit country.

Foreign manufacturers including Apple and Toyota as well as Chinese solar power product cell makers had originally planned to resume production on Sunday after their six-day shutdowns ended on Saturday. However, the provincial government on Sunday released a Level 1 emergency response due to the extreme weather and ordered factories to stop work.

About 16,500 companies in Sichuan have reportedly been affected by the power shortage after reservoirs' water levels dropped and halved the province's hydropower output.
https://asiatimes.com/2022/08/drought-roiling-chinas-already-evaporating-economy/

trout-r-us

"Kim Kardashian, Kevin Hart, Dwyane Wade repeatedly used over 150% of their water budget amid California drought, officials say"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kim-kardashian-kevin-hart-dwyane-wade-repeatedly-used-150-water-budget-rcna44488
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

"Roman ruins reappear from river in drought-stricken Europe almost 2,000 years later"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/roman-ruins-reappear-river-drought-171733576.html
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

California to install solar panels over canals to fight drought, a first in the U.S.

In an effort to combat the devastating drought conditions hitting California, the Golden State will become the first in the nation to install solar panel canopies over canals.

The $20 million pilot project funded by the state has been dubbed "Project Nexus." It will consist of an estimated 8,500 feet of solar panels installed over three sections of Turlock Irrigation District (TID) canals in Central California. It is expected to break ground in the fall, and be completed by 2023. The project was first announced back in February.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-solar-panels-canals-drought/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Editorial: The Colorado River's catastrophe is upon us

If you've ever seen the Grand Canyon, you understand. The breadth and spectacle of one of the great wonders of the natural world is hard to describe: 277 miles long, up to 18 miles wide and over a mile deep. All of it carved by the steady and ceaseless flow of a river. Over some 6 million years, the Colorado River has quite literally shaped the West.

Today, it is facing catastrophe.

The Colorado River, which serves the needs of some 40 million people throughout the Southwest and provides vital water to millions of acres of agriculture, is running dry. Overuse, climate change and drought have combined to put the river — and all of us who, to some degree, depend on it — into crisis.

Earlier this year, the seven states that rely on the Colorado River were asked to come up with a plan to save trillions of gallons of water by Aug. 15. If a plan could not be created and agreed upon, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation threatened to take control. The 15th has passed without a plan and without a takeover.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2022/08/28/editorial-the-colorado-rivers-catastrophe-is-upon-us/
me -There's a season?