unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout Maharishi

I was doubtful about a 3 or 4 foot rise, but NPR let's some people say anything. No doubt sea level is rising. I found this interesting article when I was looking at data about sea level rises in the last 2000 years.   https://www.whoi.edu/press-room/news-release/why-is-sea-level-rising-higher-in-some-places-along-u-s-east-coast-than-others/
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Live in 5 days
November 10, 7:00 PM

The Colorado River runs nearly fifteen hundred miles, winding through seven states and
Mexico. It supplies drinking water to nearly 40 million people, irrigates nearly 4 million
acres of farmland and attracts millions of nature lovers to scenic Grand Canyon vistas.
And it is on the brink.
A 20 year mega-drought -- exacerbated by climate change -- is squeezing the Colorado dry. It's
a crisis for the people of the Southwest and a "canary in the coal mine" for us all.

Join PBS NewsHour's Miles O'Brien for a special hour-long live event exploring the relationship between climate change and the fate of the Colorado River Basin.
Hosted live from Phoenix, the program will foster a
solutions-based dialog with leaders in areas of science, agriculture, municipal water,
Native American communities and conservation.

The event is sponsored by the Walton Family Foundation.

Stream your PBS favorites with the PBS app: https://to.pbs.org/2Jb8twG
Find more from PBS NewsHour at https://www.pbs.org/newshour
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2HfsCD6
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Investors are buying AZ farmland to sell Colorado River water allotment to PHX area home developers

>>>An investment company has purchased nearly 500 acres of farmland along the Arizona-California border with plans to take its water allotment and send it to the Phoenix area for new housing developments.

AZCentral reports the investment company Greenstone bought the farmland and is awaiting federal approval to sell most of its water entitlement to the town of Queen Creek, north of Phoenix. It's one of the fastest-growing suburbs in Arizona.

If approved, the purchase could pave the way for similar deals as water demand in the Southwest outpaces supply.

https://www.knau.org/knau-and-arizona-news/2021-11-26/investors-are-buying-az-farmland-to-sell-colorado-river-water-allotment-to-phx-area-home-developers

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Scientists working to understand record of mine-related contamination in sediment below Lake Powell
Initial data from a 2018 research project is now being released.

>>>The goal was to understand not just the potential impacts of the Gold King Mine disaster but also to analyze the record of sediment that is trapped in the upper reaches of Lake Powell and is 50 feet thick in places.

The initial data gathered on the project is just now being released, and Hynek gave a public presentation on the preliminary results earlier this month. His hope is that the project will be useful to scientists working across the river basin on a variety of projects. The sediment record, he explained, "is like the ultimate ground truth on what has happened in the upper Colorado River Basin on a very large scale over 70 years."

Cores taken in the San Juan arm of the reservoir show spikes of lead and zinc that may have been deposited from the Gold King Mine spill in 2015, but there are much bigger — and more concerning — spikes of the metals that were likely deposited in the 1970s when larger mine waste-related disasters occurred in the watershed.

"Bigger things happened in the 70s in the San Juan than the Gold King," Hynek said.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/11/26/scientists-working/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://www.circleofblue.org/2021/world/the-year-in-water-2021/

The Year in Water, 2021
Water Crises Take Center Stage

>>>Too much. Too little. Too polluted.

For years these compact phrases, mantra-like in their repetition, have come to define the world's water problems.

Now add a fourth: too frequent.

If nothing else, the last 12 months of floods, fires, droughts, and other meteorological torments delivered an uncomfortable message. Extreme events are happening more often. And they are happening almost everywhere.

Communities rich and poor bore witness to horrific devastation in 2021. In July, floods in China's Henan province trapped commuters in subway tunnels in the city of Zhengzhou, which received as much rain in three days as it does in an average year. That same month, raging waters in Germany's Ahr Valley scoured farmland into canyons and submerged riverside towns. Herders in northern Kenya today are lamenting the decimation of their livestock as seasonal rains failed yet again to nourish the ochre earth.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Drought-stricken Las Vegas proposes grass ban for new homes

>>>Grassy yards would be banned at all new housing and commercial developments in the Las Vegas metro area as officials try to expand water use limitations and the region prepares for a hotter and drier future.

The Southern Nevada Water Authority passed resolutions on Monday to prohibit the yards and the use of evaporative cooling machines, also known as "swamp coolers," at the new developments. Swamp coolers are used by many people instead of traditional air conditioners, but use more water.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/drought-stricken-las-vegas-proposes-grass-ban-for-new-homes/2021/12/21/b30a77b8-628f-11ec-9b51-7131fa190c5e_story.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

3 states and Washington agree to keep more water in Lake Mead amid dropping levels

Three western states and the federal government have signed a $200 million deal to keep Lake Mead viable. Millions depend on it for water and electricity. It's at a historic low due to climate change.

Listen to the 4-minute story here...
https://news.wjct.org/national-news/2021-12-22/3-states-and-washington-agree-to-keep-more-water-in-lake-mead-amid-dropping-levels

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Nebraska announces $500M plan to claim water from Colorado

>>>Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts announced a $500 million plan Monday to divert water out of Colorado under a 99-year-old compact between the states that allows Nebraska to seize access to Colorado land along the South Platte River and build canals.

Ricketts said Nebraska would invoke its rights under the South Platte River Compact amid concerns that Colorado's plans for the river could reduce water flows into his state by as much as 90%, taking a potentially huge toll on Nebraska's agricultural and power industries and likely affecting water supplies in the state's two largest cities, Omaha and Lincoln.

"We are very concerned about what is going to happen with these projects," Ricketts, a Republican, said at a news conference. The reduced streamflows "are going to have a dramatic impact on our ability to feed the world."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nebraska-announces-500m-plan-to-claim-water-from-colorado/2022/01/10/bc54a67a-7263-11ec-a26d-1c21c16b1c93_story.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Gov. Ducey wants Arizona to invest $1B in desalination, other water infrastructure

>>>Gov. Doug Ducey on Monday proposed spending $1 billion from the state's general fund over three years to help "secure Arizona's water future for the next 100 years."

In his final State of the State address, the governor said the budget he sends to lawmakers will prioritize water infrastructure including desalination.

"Instead of just talking about desalination, the technology that made Israel the world's water superpower," he said, "how about we pave the way to make it actually happen?"

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-environment/2022/01/10/gov-doug-ducey-proposes-spending-1-billion-water-infrastructure/9164946002/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Q&A: David Arend talks Colorado River basin challenges

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation's newly-appointed deputy regional director for the lower basin speaks about the road ahead for the shrinking river.

As the Colorado River shrinks at the hands of a two-decades-long drought, there's a lot on the line. The water supply for 40 million people, agriculture, wildlife and hydropower generation are all hanging in the balance as the region grapples with a dwindling river.

https://www.kunc.org/environment/2022-01-25/q-a-david-arend-talks-colorado-river-basin-challenges
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Study finds Western megadrought is the worst in 1,200 years

>>>Shrunk reservoirs. Depleted aquifers. Low rivers. Raging wildfires. It's no secret that the Western U.S. is in a severe drought. New research published Monday shows just how extreme the situation has become.

The Western U.S. and northern Mexico are experiencing their driest period in at least 1,200 years, according to the new study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change. The last comparable — though not as severe — multidecade megadrought occurred in the 1500s, when the West was still largely inhabited by Native Americans tribes.

https://wamu.org/story/22/02/14/study-finds-western-megadrought-is-the-worst-in-1200-years/

My son is bummed that there hasn't been much snow in Park City, but he is going to Aspin for a week during Ski Break (Spring Break)
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Natural bridge, long hidden by Glen Canyon damming, resurfaces as Lake Powell dries up

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>len Canyon is revealing itself.

David Brower, the first executive director of the Sierra Club and a three-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee, once said flooding Glen Canyon would be "America's most regretted environmental mistake." But almost 60 years after the fact, the full extent of that "mistake" remains mysterious.

Archaeologists and naturalists hastened to detail the canyon's contents even as the Glen Canyon Dam was under construction. By the time the waters of Lake Powell began to rise in 1963, their photos and notebooks salvaged accounts of petroglyphs, natural bridges and extensive, pristine ecosystems in the Glen Canyon area. But their work was far from complete.

They documented just enough to guess at the grand total of what would be drowned under Lake Powell. William Lipe, one of the leading archaeologists of this effort, reflected that "there was an awareness that a lot was being lost."

Now, long-term drought has brought water levels in Lake Powell to historic lows. As the shores recede, they unveil Glen Canyon's lost wonders, allowing the consequences to resurface.

https://tucson.com/news/state-and-regional/natural-bridge-long-hidden-by-glen-canyon-damming-resurfaces-as-lake-powell-dries-up/article_0905e62e-653d-5013-b71b-ca16b00f1172.html
me -There's a season?