Bristol Bay - Action Alert! Click - Fill - Send!

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 01, 2019, 13:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Last week we told you that Pebble mine got one step closer to reality. Today, we have the chance to do something about it. 

Click here to submit your comment to the Army Corps of Engineers opposing the Pebble Mine.

1. Only a fraction of the full project has been reviewed. Pebble has submitted a proposal to mine 1.4 billion tons of an 11-billion ton deposit, and has stated repeatedly they plan to expand the mine to the full deposit. That expansion is not accounted for in this DEIS. There is no way to evaluate the full risk of Pebble if they are not evaluating the complete project, thus making this document incomplete. 

2. Water treatment has never been done at this scale before. Pebble estimates that its water treatment plants, just in phase one alone, will need to treat up to 10.6 billion gallons of wastewater per year, containing metals and other pollutants harmful to fish and public health. This is an unprecedented volume of wastewater to treat, and we know of no other operating U.S. mines that treat such a large volume. There are many technical shortcomings of their water management plan that leave experts skeptical that this project is possible without accident â€" and Bristol Bay is the worst place to test that assumption.

3. Tailings dam failures are not considered. The DEIS does not consider the possibility of a catastrophic tailings dam failure (such as what just happened in Brazil or British Columbia, and there are dozens more examples). This is a massive oversight demonstrating pro-Pebble bias, despite that Pebble has used the same contractor who engineered a failed dam at the Mount Polley mine to work on their project.

from the TU Alaska team

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!