News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Native Tree/Plant Plight

Started by Onslow, February 23, 2019, 14:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Trying to save the state tree also helps Pennsylvania trout

>>>Pennsylvania fishermen like Russ Collins are worried about trees.

He lives in Palmyra, Lebanon County, and is the vice president of Trout Unlimited's southcentral chapter. He wonders whether a struggling tree species could ultimately endanger one of the top fishing grounds in the country, if not the world.

Collins sees first-hand how the iconic Eastern hemlock — Pennsylvania's state tree — is dying off. A stand of hemlocks in his backyard is all but gone despite efforts to combat a bug that slowly sucks the life from them.

He also points to a two-mile stretch of water in Dauphin County where hemlocks are dying off every 40 feet or so. It's gotten so bad that the fallen giants have jammed up a section of Clarks Creek.

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/outdoors/2022/05/11/invasive-woolly-adelgid-pennsylvania-trout-fishing-dunbar-creek-fayette-county/stories/202205130005
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

The American Chestnut Tree Foundation and Chestnut Mountain Ranch partner up to plant trees

BRIDGEPORT, W.Va (WDTV) - The American Chestnut Tree Foundation partnered with the Chestnut Mountain Ranch to plant trees.

The boys planted 24 trees on the mountain.

A short presentation was also presented to the boys about the trees and how they are trying to get them back growing in west Virginia.

President of the American Chestnut Foundation, Mark Double says the boys will learn a lot from planting the trees.

https://www.wdtv.com/2022/05/21/american-chestnut-tree-foundation-chestnut-mountain-ranch-partner-up-plant-trees/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Native Tree Expert Shares His Wisdom of the Woods

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>Mention Lennilea Farm Nursery to a fan of native flora in this neck of the woods, and chances are their eyes will light up as a knowing smile creases their face.

The 180-acre farm in the Village of Huffs Church in southeast Berks County is tucked behind the historical house of worship that gives the town its name.

Robert and Cindy Seip, who named the farm for the Lenni Lenape indigenous to this place, have made a living in cooperation with that land, in some way, shape or form, since they were married in 1960.

It is Robert's boyhood home. He moved there in 1938 when he was 9 years old after his mother took up residence with Floyd Kemp, who purchased the farm and was a lineman by trade. The couple had a daughter together, Robert's half-sister, Anna (Kemp) Moyer.

Born in 1929 and raised for a time by a single mother during the Depression era — his father left when Robert was 2, and his parents later divorced — Robert lived through lean times.

https://www.lancasterfarming.com/native-tree-expert-shares-his-wisdom-of-the-woods/article_36d545ec-091f-11ed-9619-63114c3ecc6d.html
me -There's a season?

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

Why an American chestnut tree in Centreville is the 'holy grail' for conservationists

After the species was devastated by an Asian blight in the early 20th century, a single American chestnut tree in Centreville has been deemed a "precious resource" by the Delaware Nature Society.

Jim White, a senior fellow at the Delaware Nature Society, said the tree discovered at Coverdale Farm Preserve is the largest and oldest he's seen in his 50-year career.

"For people who are interested in trees, that's kind of a holy grail-type thing, to see a big American chestnut," he said. "I've never seen anything that size anywhere, and very few people have."

The tree is estimated to be about 50 years old and 70 feet tall, with a circumference of at least 35 inches, White said.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2022/08/26/american-chestnut-tree-discovery-in-delaware-wows-conservationists/65414649007/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Gene editing could revive a nearly lost tree. Not everyone is on board.
Saving the American chestnut could restore a piece of history, resurrect a lost ecosystem and combat climate change. But critics say it would come at a cost.

>>>Kyra LoPiccolo crouched in front of a small, white foam box under the hot summer sun. She opened the cooler and from the ice plucked a tiny vial of pollen — a potential salve for an entire species.

Clasping a branch of a two-story American chestnut, LoPiccolo pulled out a delicate, yellow-dusted glass slide and rubbed the thawed pollen onto some of the tree's flowers. A few feet away and armed with another set of vials, a pair of colleagues at this field research station were aloft in a crane working on higher limbs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2022/08/30/american-chestnut-blight-gene-editing/

me -There's a season?

jwgnc

Eagle-eyed Delaware hunter chances upon 'holy grail' of tree lovers — full-grown American chestnut

https://whyy.org/articles/delaware-american-chestnut-tree/
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

It's Chestnut Season In Michigan, Where Some of The Most Hardy Trees Thrive

Read More: It's U-Pick Chestnuts Time in Michigan, Where Hardy Trees Thrive | https://wkfr.com/michigan-chestnuts-upick-farm-blight/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

However, for some outstanding reason Michigan's chestnut crop is resistant to the blight. Dennis Fulbright, a professor at Michigan State and a plant pathologist, has said that miraculously Michigan is home to the only chestnut trees with a naturally occurring biological control. For some reason, chestnut trees just seem to thrive in Michigan. It's a modern medical marvel!

Read More: It's U-Pick Chestnuts Time in Michigan, Where Hardy Trees Thrive | https://wkfr.com/michigan-chestnuts-upick-farm-blight/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The uncertain future of old-growth forests in North Carolina, part one

The recent decision to harvest 26 acres that encompass an old-growth patch of forest on a 3,500-foot mountaintop – the Southside Project – underscores what some say is the widening incongruity between the U.S. Forest Service's mission, climate change crisis and the public's will.

CPP is launching a four-part series focusing on the Southside Project, a recent initiative by the U.S. Forest Service, to make the national forest more resilient and sustainable. In part one, Jack Igelman provides the context and background for the Southside Project, Brushy Mountain and the new Forest Service plan.

On a cloudy morning in August, Buzz Williams is standing at the trunk of a venerable black gum tree over a century old on Brushy Mountain in Nantahala National Forest. The forest lies in the mountains and valleys of southwestern North Carolina and is the largest of North Carolina's four national forests.

Williams is tall and slim with a thick white beard. When he's moving, he bounds through the forest, talking the entire way, occasionally stopping to examine some of the forest's bounty, including a poisonous mushroom and an American chestnut sapling before stopping at the trunk of the black gum.

"Bark is one of the best ways to age a forest," said Williams. Working out a forest's age isn't just visual, he says; "you can feel it." Hexagonal patches of gnarly bark outlined by deep fissures create a honeycomb pattern ascending toward its canopy.

https://carolinapublicpress.org/57909/the-uncertain-future-of-old-growth-forests-in-north-carolina-part-one/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Sellwood community working to rescue historic fallen tree

As recent windstorms have toppled countless trees across the region, one community in Sellwood is working together to salvage a century-old American chestnut tree that recently fell.

According to the City of Portland's records, it was recognized as a Heritage Tree for its more than 100-foot size and significance.

There are nearly 400 Heritage Trees throughout Portland, with new trees added each year. Once designated, Heritage Trees are protected by City Code and cannot be removed without the consent of the Urban Forestry Commission and Portland City Council.

When a beautiful tree comes down in a neighborhood, it doesn't go unnoticed.

Erich Perkins, from Rescued Oregon Timber, works with a couple of other woodworkers to rescue Oregon timber in urban neighborhoods because when big trees like this fall, Perkins said they usually go to the dump.

https://www.koin.com/news/portland/sellwood-community-working-to-rescue-historic-fallen-tree/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

For the First Time, Genetically Modified Trees Have Been Planted in a U.S. Forest
Living Carbon, a biotechnology company, hopes its seedlings can help manage climate change. But wider use of its trees may be elusive.

On Monday, in a low-lying tract of southern Georgia's pine belt, a half-dozen workers planted row upon row of twig-like poplar trees.

These weren't just any trees, though: Some of the seedlings being nestled into the soggy soil had been genetically engineered to grow wood at turbocharged rates while slurping up carbon dioxide from the air.

The poplars may be the first genetically modified trees planted in the United States outside of a research trial or a commercial fruit orchard. Just as the introduction of the Flavr Savr tomato in 1994 introduced a new industry of genetically modified food crops, the tree planters on Monday hope to transform forestry.

Living Carbon, a San Francisco-based biotechnology company that produced the poplars, intends for its trees to be a large-scale solution to climate change.

Read the rest of the NYT article.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Here's a rare glimpse into the emerald ash borer's damage at Peru State Forest

In a rare glimpse of an active state logging site, five people concerned about logging policy joined state foresters for a slog through slush and mud to see the effort to control the emerald ash borer on 93 acres in Peru State Forest.

Ash forests have been decimated by the tiny emerald green insect, which literally gets under the skin of trees to lay its eggs, depriving the trees of water and nutrients. The emerald ash borer has been found in 36 states.

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/southern_berkshires/rare-winter-logging-tour-allows-a-glimpse-into-emerald-ash-borer-damage-at-peru-state-forest/article_9b96c604-bdec-11ed-89f5-63253819d6c8.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

How conservationists are turning an old Kentucky strip mine into a native forest

Armed with bucketfuls of trees, volunteers scampered along a Leslie County mountaintop that looked more like the moon than a mountain. Rocks the size of fists went tumbling as shovels struck earth to make way for the nearly 8,000 native tree seedlings that about 100 volunteers hoped to plant on this old strip mining site over the course of a two-day tree planting event which began March 28. Those who return to the site this fall should find native wildflowers among the rocks. In five years, the young trees will start to make their presence obvious. "Then at about year 15, you'll have a closed, intact canopy. It'll be shading the floor, they're dropping leaves onto everything and a lot of the trees will be 15, 20 feet tall at that point," said Michael French, the director of Green Forest Works, a University of Kentucky nonprofit that reforests former mine sites across Appalachia.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/kentucky/article273557645.html#storylink=cpy
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Genetically engineered trees in a Georgia forest mark a first in the nation
A Tattnall County forester works with California-based Living Carbon to grow trees designed to store more carbon

Vince Stanley has a saying, which he holds as true in a commercial forest as on a row crop farm: Every acre has a plan.

GPB
This story also appeared in Georgia Public Broadcasting
In a wetland he owns in Tattnall County, about 70 miles west of Savannah, downhill from an orderly grove of predictably profitable loblolly pines, he is trying out something new.

"Now, look at this guy right here," Stanley said, pointing out what looked more like a stick in the mud compared to the tupelos growing a few yards away in the deeper water. 

This stick, surrounded by pin flags and planted about six feet away from its sister, had signs of new life: dark green leaves.

"That's impressive," Stanley said.

And the germ of the new plan for these acres, is something that, until now, Stanley said he didn't really have.

"We're just leaving this up to Mother Nature," he said. "So now with Living Carbon, we've gone to Option B."

This nascent tree and 10,499 others are at the heart of Option B, what might be the first effort of its kind in the nation: genetically engineered trees planted in a forest.

What's more, these trees are for sale.

https://thecurrentga.org/2023/04/13/genetically-engineered-trees-in-a-georgia-forest-mark-a-first-in-the-nation/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Carnivorous Plants Use a Smelly Trick to Catch Their Prey
A study suggests that pitcher plants tailor the smells they produce to  woo particular kinds of insects.

Pitcher plants supplement their diets with this one strange trick: eating flesh. Usually found growing in relatively poor soil, the plants sprout pitcher-shaped cups with pretty, frilly tops that obscure their true purpose: trapping hapless insects. Look inside the pitchers and you'll find the half-digested bodies of the plants' victims.

How do insects wind up in this unenviable situation? Do they just, as at least one group of researchers has theorized, fall in by accident? While studies suggest that the plants' colors and its nectar may attract prey, some scientists think pitchers' scent may play a role as well.

In a study published Wednesday in the journal PLOS One, a research team identified odor molecules emanating from four types of pitcher plants and found that the scents seemed to be correlated with the kinds of insects that wound up in the pitchers. While the study is small and more work is needed to confirm the link, the findings suggest that when insects meet their deaths at the bottom of a pitcher, it may be an aroma they're following.

Humans tend to describe a pitcher plants' scent as floral or herbal, said Laurence Gaume, a scientist the French National Centre for Scientific Research and an author of the new paper. Insects may find the scent more striking. Researchers have found in the past that pitchers emitting more volatile compounds tended to attract more flies, but rigorous examinations of what exactly pitchers release and whether it's connected to the insects they attract have been missing.

Continue reading NY Times
me -There's a season?