News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Big Urn. JT

Started by Pansyman, January 23, 2019, 12:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pansyman

This is what's left of a white oak that took about 8-9 years to die after the contractor destroyed her root system with over dressing and compacted soil. 
The Dr.  took the time to count out 140  :o rings. That's even older than JT I'll bet.
He got a bunch of firewood and a cool slab about 4" thick he's going to make a table with
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

Pansyman

You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

Hellacious bunch of A-1 firewood for sure. Yep, that tree died of track hoe disease.  Compacted roots ,etc.  When a tracked vehicle twists and turns over a root system,it compacts and twists the roots which break open the cambium layer. This busted cambium rings the dinner bell for every wood eating critter and disease in the ground. Very common in new housing developments that are 2-8 years old .  In short ,the tree died of root rot.
Doug could probably shed some more light on this .

You prolly need to contact Marty Porier for some info on how to preserve the slab so that it will not split completely apart.

Stone-Man

Dougfish

If you don't fence off the entire canopy of a big tree and declare it off limits, it's gonna die a slow death after construction.
And be a lot more more expensive to take down later.
I have a neighbor house that is 12 years old. Lots of fill and machinery.
First owner took down three 70'+ Tuliptrees. Next owner is 4 Tuliptrees and oaks and counting.
I'm guessing 4 more casualties. Count the money. Not to mention a shed branch through the roof, already.

I cut roots on one side of a mature oak to build a wall and patio. About 30' out, about 10% disturbed. The biggest root was about wrist sized.
Rest of the footprint was undisturbed except one 6' lane for rubber tired loaders operated by me.
18 years later, fit as a fiddle.
(Knock on wood.)
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006