News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

MLK day, where to?

Started by hcrum87hc, January 14, 2019, 11:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcrum87hc

Sorry guys, no report here, but I promise to post one next week.  I'm looking to get out on MLK day, as I'm off work.  I'm having a hard time determining where to go.  FYI: I live in the SC upstate and usually fish Pisgah, but I've recently started exploring some SC streams. With all the rain lately, I imagine I'll need to find a smaller flow that's not blown out. I'm always partial to wild trout, but in our area, most of the wild fish are at higher/colder elevations.  This leaves me with stockers, which are typically in the larger flows, which are running high right now.  With all the rain, I'd prefer to fish some smaller flows and pursue some wild fish, but I'm concerned with the cold weather at higher elevations making them inactive. I was looking at maybe some of the smaller tribs of the D, but I don't know which are accessible with the shut down going on.  What do you guys suggest?

TLDR: Do I fish a higher elevation wild stream and risk sluggish fish, or do I fish lower elevation stocked stream and risk high water?
Jeremiah 17:7

driver

Go high. They won't be any more sluggish than the lower elevation wild fish.

rbphoto

Always get high, especially on holidays.

<-;:

The further you hike, the less likely you are to deal with crowds, but with cold weather it is unlikely there will be too many fishermen out & about.  I wouldn't worry about the shutdown having much effect on access. 

If it rains the weekend prior, (current forecast) smaller waters will clear sooner than the bigger ones.

Watch the water levels in the larger streams through the week and weekend and figure out as you get closer.

And color me green with jealousy.  It's not a holiday for us. 
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

The Dude

Curtis Creek. Park at the gate and hike up 1/4 mile. You'll have the water to yourself and there should be plenty of wild fish. Find long slow pools and fish them thoroughly from tailout to head riffles and everywhere in between. Make long drifts through the middle and stay near the bottom. Set the hook at anything and everything. Takes will be subtle. If you aren't catching fish, it is likely more that you are getting bites without you ever knowing than it is that the fish aren't biting. If you feel like you are making a good drift through a prime section and aren't getting takes, set the hook at random and you might be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Stone-Man

The streams here in E Tenn are really high ,but they are clearing and starting to fall. If it does not rain much more or snow a lot,these creeks will be very fishable by Next Monday. To cut your drive a little ,the Doe at Roan Mtn fishes good during the winter right in the town.  Also the tribs that flow into the Toe River near Elk Park,NC will fish well.

I think that the tailraces here will still be running Ape Shit like they are now. The Watauga in Elizabethton at Hunter Bridge is about 6 inches from being in the parking lot.

It is snowing here now ,but not expecting much of it

JT

benben reincarnated

Quote from: The Dude on January 15, 2019, 10:50:44 AM
Curtis Creek. Park at the gate and hike up 1/4 mile. You'll have the water to yourself and there should be plenty of wild fish. Find long slow pools and fish them thoroughly from tailout to head riffles and everywhere in between. Make long drifts through the middle and stay near the bottom. Set the hook at anything and everything. Takes will be subtle. If you aren't catching fish, it is likely more that you are getting bites without you ever knowing than it is that the fish aren't biting. If you feel like you are making a good drift through a prime section and aren't getting takes, set the hook at random and you might be surprised.

Just don't bring any alcohol with you.   :laugh:

hcrum87hc

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.  I've narrowed it down to a couple places, but I'm still not 100% decided.  It'll definitely be wild and at least relatively secluded. 

I've fished the DH section of Curtis and spent an hour or so afterwards on Newberry (I should have spent most of my time there instead), but I've never fished the wild section of Curtis.  If I do, I'll have to title my TR "Curtis Creek Manifesto."

Quote from: benben reincarnated on January 15, 2019, 12:01:41 PM
Just don't bring any alcohol with you.   :laugh:

Speaking from experience?

Phil

If you're planning on fishing anywhere in the High Country area (Ashe, Avery, Watauga counties and surrounding), bundle up good. Temps are supposed to be coldest of the winter so far on Monday, Mon. night, Tuesday. Better dredge them pools slow and deep.

hcrum87hc

Yeah, conditions aren't looking ideal.  We have rain coming in Saturday, and the highs, depending on my final choice, will be in the low 30s to low 40s.  Oh well. I haven't been on a river since October, so it's going to happen regardless.  I'm getting cabin fever.

Quote from: Phil on January 16, 2019, 12:18:25 PM
If you're planning on fishing anywhere in the High Country area (Ashe, Avery, Watauga counties and surrounding), bundle up good. Temps are supposed to be coldest of the winter so far on Monday, Mon. night, Tuesday. Better dredge them pools slow and deep.

Stone-Man

We had more snow than predicted and the creeks are back up and colder than dammit.  Sorry  !!! b';

JT

BRFFF

Asheville was is in a deep freeze — little snow but damn windy

hcrum87hc

I'm not holding out much hope for a successful day. I'll be happy if I can find one fish. On the bright side, I get to sleep in to give it a little time to warm up.

Aka

If all else fails lay out a 50 - 60 foot cast from the back of the pools all the way to the head and strip set all the way back. This typically gets fish interested that otherwise might not be moving around too much. Often you will find they become so voracious that they become frenzied and attack with such vigor they will miss the fly with their mouths and your hook may get stuck in the side of the fish. If that happens you're doing something right so just continue doing it.

Phil

It's 8 degrees and windy at my house today (11:45 a.m.). I ain't stripping anything in this shit.  :o

The Dude

Quote from: Aka on January 21, 2019, 10:35:34 AM

If all else fails lay out a 50 - 60 foot cast from the back of the pools all the way to the head and strip set all the way back. This typically gets fish interested that otherwise might not be moving around too much. Often you will find they become so voracious that they become frenzied and attack with such vigor they will miss the fly with their mouths and your hook may get stuck in the side of the fish. If that happens you're doing something right so just continue doing it.
Sage advice from an old Alaskan King Salmon snagger.

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.