News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Climate change?

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, January 01, 2019, 13:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 04, 2019, 10:52:53 AM

I think the sooner we all abandon our hubris and "the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe", and take exceptional care of our "Pale Blue Dot", our home, the happier we will be.

The only real certainty in life on earth is death.  Whether one is pius, frugal, rich, poor, gluttonous, the outcome is the same. Furthermore, if one desires to eat meat, one must kill.  Ain't life on earth grand -0-

This notion that we can save our great human civilization is the great delusion of this time.  Enacting carbon taxes. or implementing Ocasio's Green Deal is akin to fighting a forest fire with a squirt gun.  A global birth tax would make more sense. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on January 04, 2019, 21:49:47 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 04, 2019, 10:52:53 AM

I think the sooner we all abandon our hubris and "the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe", and take exceptional care of our "Pale Blue Dot", our home, the happier we will be.

The only real certainty in life on earth is death.  Whether one is pius, frugal, rich, poor, gluttonous, the outcome is the same. Furthermore, if one desires to eat meat, one must kill.  Ain't life on earth grand -0-

This notion that we can save our great human civilization is the great delusion of this time.  Enacting carbon taxes. or implementing Ocasio's Green Deal is akin to fighting a forest fire with a squirt gun.  A global birth tax would make more sense.

Life is grand, but it may be just as magnificent on some other rock in the universe.  I was sure life on the moon was glorious, but it was the 70s and I was stoned in a pasture along the Jackson River and the illumination from the Coleman lantern made the cow pies look like moon craters. 

No need to tax the birthing world --- just give every female walking the earth control over their reproductive potential; overpopulation of bipeds may no longer be a problem.     
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/climate-strike-us-students-to-skip-school-to-fight-climate-change/ar-AAHwPbJ?ocid=spartandhp

Not sure of the potential upshot of this effort, but on the surface, I must admire.  Conceivably some of our youth are contemplating the future of our planet.

If I had a kid, likely I'd let him or her skip, AND work on their penmanship, which from my sub teaching days informs me that legible handwriting is a lost skill.  On assignments, I can't even read some of their names!  Piss on keyboarding and the like!!!!  -- another topic for another day

troutrus

You cannot view this attachment.

Onslow

Instead of striking and protesting like a bunch of brats, their time should be planting trees, and developing skill sets that will be needed to address the inevitable results of the sea level rising.  America needs more engineers, and wild men who can weld underwater, or come of with brilliant work-arounds, not a bunch of web brousing kids with hand of a Korean nail painter.

UHI effect, carbon dioxide issues, soil depletion, deforestation are all symptons of too many damn people roaming the earth.  Until the latter is addressed, humans  might as well prepare popcorn, and watch the carnage unfold.

troutrus

I believe what we need are more folks that don't accept anything as inevitable.

Onslow

The trees are credited with preventing $13 billion in property damage in the U.S. each year, that's why the federal government and the insurance industry are partnering to fund mangrove conservation and preservation. And Feller says mangroves also help limit the impact of climate change. The trees trap and bury carbon dioxide in the soil below. It's called blue carbon and mangroves bury more of it than any other type of forest on earth.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/29/755322980/mangroves-climate-change-and-hurricanes

troutrus

Went down to the rally in Greensboro today. Encouraging to see so many young folks participating. 'c;  Surprise guest speaker was well received.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Yallerhammer

What we need is a couple billion less people on the planet, and Bernie Sanders is a goddamn senile fool who thinks Communism is a good idea.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Yallerhammer on September 21, 2019, 09:09:47 AMWhat we need is a couple billion less people on the planet, and Bernie Sanders is a goddamn senile fool who thinks Communism is a good idea.

Too many damn people it's an infestation

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Almost every problem we have can be directly traced back to overpopulation. I'm not gonna be the first one to volunteer to take one for the team, though. :D
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

troutrus

As we can see here, many of us can identify an issue. I think we need leaders who have the gumption and drive to address and solve tough problems. A big first step is recognizing and admitting there is a problem, and current" leadership" appears incapable.

Onslow

Quote from: troutrus on September 22, 2019, 07:03:31 AMAs we can see here, many of us can identify an issue. I think we need leaders who have the gumption and drive to address and solve tough problems. A big first step is recognizing and admitting there is a problem, and current" leadership" appears incapable.

Leadership begins at home.  It is part of being an adult/parent.  Waiting for a "leader" is a poor strategy that invites tyranny, and is nothing more than a cop-out.  The problem in America is people are lazy, apathetic, infantile.  We want others to make our garbage we consume, and then dispose of it for us, we want others to grow our food, clean our houses, mow are yards, and to "fix" our environmental issues by protesting.  Frankly, a sizable part of the general population both heere and abroad doesn't deserve a clean environment because they/we are to stupid/sorry/trashy/idiotic to live. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Damn if this ain't an inspirational and encouraging discussion to read on a Sunday morning!

"Waiting for a leader" is certainly a bad idea.  Humans have been waiting for leaders (prophets and gods) for centuries.  Now, locating, accurately appraising, and empowering a breathing leader seems appropriate, but often we miss the mark.  I've missed the mark; you've missed the mark. We need leaders!

Mother Nature will eventually recalibrate and balance our overpopulation challenge. No worries.