Main Menu

Climate change?

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, January 01, 2019, 13:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Unusual sighting for New Year's Day
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

My chief concern are the wet Falls.  Unharvested and rotten row crops and orchard fruit are depressing to see.  I used to be able to harvest a fair amount of apples from my trees without spraying for various issues.  Now it is almost utterly hopeless.  Late Fall apples such as the Black Twigs, and the  Arkansas Black are my favorites but are no longer feasible to grow.  Hopefully, the Summer Banana and the Williams Favorite, both early season apples will satisfy my needs.

I'm anxious to see the monthly blog from NCSU.  Hopefully we can all get a gander a couple days from now.

Al

74 degrees here in Fayetteville right now. Should be 35-40.

BRFFF

Back in 09, I fished the SoHo in the snow... wrecks all around and the thermometer in Newland registered 18 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onslow

Ironically,  the person that is most obsessed with carbon footprint issues I know is a staunch Republican...and gasp Hiner, a devout Methodist.

Should we not be more concerned with the amount of estrogen, antibiotics, prescription drug material found in surface water?  Aforementioned contaminants cannot be removed by municipal water suppliers. 

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on January 03, 2019, 21:08:54 PM
Ironically,  the person that is most obsessed with carbon footprint issues I know is a staunch Republican...and gasp Hiner, a devout Methodist.

Should we not be more concerned with the amount of estrogen, antibiotics, prescription drug material found in surface water?  Aforementioned contaminants cannot be removed by municipal water suppliers.

C: All of the above.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

The climate changes continuously.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Mercury deposition is even worse.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

"The calendar year 2018 is now officially the wettest year on record for Boone, Watauga County, and the High Country.
93.42 inches of precipitation was recorded officially for Boone at the Boone 1 SE weather station. That breaks the previous mark of 82.79 inches, recorded in 1979, by 10.63 inches. 76.36 inches in 1949 is now the third overall tally since weather records for Boone started in 1929. The normal precipitation total is 52.66 inches, with the lowest of 39.37 inches in 1943 and 39.38 inches in 1981.
195 days out of 365 recorded precipitation for 2018 at the Boone 1 SE station.
The Foscoe 1.2 WSW station reported 112.70 inches, the Blowing Rock 2.2 NE station reported 111.78 inches."

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Sorry, you've selected the wrong credentials to impress me.

Sure, impurities in our waters should demand our attention, BUT I don't believe we should "be more concerned" with these pollutants over other environmental concerns.

I think the sooner we all abandon our hubris and "the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe", and take exceptional care of our "Pale Blue Dot", our home, the happier we will be.

Phil

"I think the sooner we all abandon our hubris and "the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe", and take exceptional care of our "Pale Blue Dot", our home, the happier we will be."

Poor sentence structure aside, I agree.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 04, 2019, 09:53:58 AM
The climate changes continuously.

Yes, climates will change, but only if the factors that influence them fluctuate.   Defining these oscillations and why they ensue is certainly above my station, so I'll believe the consensus of the scientists.   

Dee-Vo

I think the sooner we all abandon our hubris and "the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe", and take exceptional care of our "Pale Blue Dot", our home, the happier we will be.

Agreed.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 04, 2019, 09:55:34 AM

Mercury deposition is even worse.

And the beat goes on!

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/mercury-retrograde-trump-epa-orders-rollback-obama-era-regulations-n952931

But I am encouraged.
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/04/678227272/what-it-looks-like-to-have-a-record-number-of-women-in-the-house-of-representati