News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

First Camping Trip

Started by Big J, October 09, 2018, 09:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Daughter turned 3 this year and decided she was finally old enough to take camping.  Finally has the potty training thing down (or at least I thought) and has really been pretty good about following directions and listening. Sister in law decided she wanted to join us which forced my FIL to begrudgingly go and sacrifice watching VT get their butts kicked by Notre Dame. 

Set up camp and Sailor and SIL played around camp and campground.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I ended up sneaking off solo to hit a stream I haven't visited in years.

Caught a couple wild bows.

And then I hit a new postage sign in the middle of the stretch I use to fish. 
Sketchy area so I obeyed and headed back to camp.

Cooked a nice ribeye and baked potatoes for dinner. One of the best steaks I've had in a while.

Have a 4 man tent, so I told FIL that he can have the tent and sleep with the girls on the air mattress and I'll bring my hammock to sleep in.  I'm no dummy.  FIL woke up Sunday morning to the stench of urine.  Sailor's potty training failed her that night due to exhaustion from a full day the day before.  Also they trashed my air mattress and it was completely deflated by the morning.  FIL had a rough night sleep.  I slept like a baby. 

Breakfast was eggs, homemade bacon, and coffee.  Then we broke down camp and headed to a stream to take the girls fishing.

Pictures will probably give away location, but I have a great disdain for this areas fishing.

Game face on.

Ever fish had to be kissed before release.

She had a blast.  Looking forward to getting her outdoors more and more each year.

ryguy

Too cool!  My 3 year old is getting in to the campfires this fall.  She says she wants to go camping, but I think it will wait until spring.  Might try a short float as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcrum87hc

Very cool.  I hope you don't mind if I add to your thread.  We took my 19 month old camping for the second time the last weekend in September.  The first time was about a year ago.  Like you I want to have her in the outdoors as much as possible.  My wife typically isn't much of a camper, but she actually suggested we go for the weekend instead of sitting at home.  Obviously I jumped on the opportunity.   

We got there around nap time on Friday, so I had to get the tent up quick so we could put my daughter down for a nap.  I decided to give the river in the campground a shot while my wife hung out at the site.  I didn't have any luck.  After her nap, my wife brought our daughter over to find me. She instantly wanted to play in the river, which was her favorite part of the trip.

We went into town for dinner and saw just a few elk on the way back.  It was interesting seeing the herd dynamic.  You had the mack daddy bull surrounded by all the cows and calves, then you had the younger bulls separated in groups of one or two about 100 yards away from the main herd.

I had a helper building the fire the next morning to warm up breakfast.

We decided to go on a little hike after breakfast to a cascades about 2 miles out.   She wasn't too sure of the backpack at first, but she didn't complain and was a happy camper the whole way.

After we got back it was nap time, so I tried my hand at fishing again. This time I went up river a bit from the campground and had a little luck on some wild pewns.  I had lost my floatant for the second time in the past year, so I caught these guys on some small nymphs.

I got tangled in a tree shortly after the second one and decided to cut it off and call it a day. 

Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

0:0 

My wife isn't much of a camper and doesn't perfer to be outdoors in the woods.  I do not mind as she encourages me to get out and the girls to get outside.  Goal though is to counteract those genes in my girls. 

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

NCsporksman

Way to throw FIL under the bus, good on youse guys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Big J

Quote from: NCsporksman on October 09, 2018, 20:39:53 PM
Way to throw FIL under the bus, good on youse guys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What are Son in laws for?  Also, he deserves it. 

Dee-Vo

This is excellent. Starting them off right! I've made several attempts to get the camping idea off the ground this summer and it has failed repeatedly. Come spring, the boy and I will be in a tent somewhere! We're in between the glorious (not) process of buying/selling houses, so it's really cramping my fishing and outdoor time. One plus, however, will be that I'm trying to move closer to several wild streams. Having a few of those on my back doorstep will be a needed and enjoyed change!

driver

I hope to get my little one out there soon, as well.

Good stuff guys.

BRFFF

Been there, done that! Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrookieHunter

Getting the young ones out into the outdoors is awesome!!  'c; 'c;

Yallerhammer

Doesn't get much better than that, you're making some memories there! First time I took my son camping was a weekend in Cataloochee when he was a month old.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff