News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Strange creatures in the James River

Started by itieuglyflies, April 17, 2024, 06:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownhunter, Big J, bmadd and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

itieuglyflies

The James has been up and down this Spring and has limited shad/striper fishing due to high and muddy water. In addition to watching the gauges,I often look at the camera at the Bosher Dam fish ladder located just upstream of Richmond to check on water clarity.

Right now the river is high and muddy but large numbers of sea lampreys are moving through the system along with Blue Catfish (a few in the 20lb and larger size). Before the camera I never dreamed these weird creatures even existed in the river! (and no Woolly,I have never taken one on a fly)

If interested in looking at what appears to be a blank brown window go to https://dwr.virginia.gov/shad-cam/ . There seems to be more action at night but for me better than most TV. (once I saw an otter go through!)

brownhunter

Was checking this out about 1:30 this afternoon and a bunch of catfish were on the screen. Some quite large, but that was all I could make out. Water was still quite brown and stained.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

The Lampreys seem to be much more active at night...strange looking critters. We are at prespawn time for the blue cats and they are very active.