News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Philpot Question

Started by Stone-Man, October 26, 2018, 19:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stone-Man

I have been on this board since the last supper and I have never heard of anyone fishing Philpot Lake.  What gives  ??? Seems like somebody would have caught some bream ,crappie or bass in it or is it just a bad lake ???

Stone-Man

Onslow

My wife's cousin has a place overlooking the lake.  The whole area is trapped in a different era due to its isolation, and relatively sparse population.  I've only met one person that has ever fished there.  They were in it for walleyes.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/waterbody/philpott-lake/

Michael Toris

Dougfish

I'll be carping it like a mad man in 2020's cicada hatch.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Al

Quote from: Stone-Man on October 26, 2018, 19:30:44 PM
I have been on this board since the last supper and I have never heard of anyone fishing Philpot Lake.  What gives  ??? Seems like somebody would have caught some bream ,crappie or bass in it or is it just a bad lake ???

Stone-Man

I have not fished it but I am told by locals it is good for crappie in the spring, large mouth bass during the summer, and the occasional catfish.  It is also excellent walleye fishing but you catch a dozen in order to find one that that reaches the minimum 18 inch size limit.

I've helped DGIF sample the walleye and can attest to the fact that all above mentioned fish are present in the lake. I've been told it also holds big carp but I don't recall seeing any in the nets we place at the entrance of coves to sample the walleye.