• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
November 30, 2021, 07:32:56 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


Boat

Started by Fishbug, September 27, 2018, 13:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Fishbug

Thinking of getting a boat—-

Had my eye on the small framed rafts for a while—

Flycraft
Smithfly
Stealthcraft

Like the portability/abusability/go anywhereness

Of those leaning towards the flycraft even though its a two person—-rarely fish w 2 people let alone 3 and its more compact. The others almost need a trailer to function.
Floating the smith would be a big plus regarding ease of access.

BUT also got eye on a Gheenoe LT10 and throw a motor on it as needed—-which would open up lakes/larger rivers/striper fishing. Access would be more limited but not horrible. The hard bottom may not like some of the rivers. Would probably be cheaper than a raft without motor etc but more expensive fully loaded.

Would be hitting up James, New, Smith, Jackson, Roanoke possible some lakes.

Any experience w above?
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

There is no single "do it all" boat.

Are you more interested in floating rivers or fishing lakes?


driver


Onslow

Perhaps I need to do a demonstration on how to run Eggleston Falls with a 1969 Sears jon boat.


driver

I have actually see in done. It was held together with duct tape as well.


Fishbug

Quote from: DAYUMson on September 27, 2018, 15:57:53 PM

There is no single "do it all" boat.

Are you more interested in floating rivers or fishing lakes?

I fish mostly rivers

Then again i dont have a boat to fish a lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

The only do all boat would be a 16' Jon. Need a fairly narrow one for rivers.

If you want to really float a river, get a raft. There is a lot to be said about an inflatable and not worrying about rocks

Quote from: Fishbug on September 28, 2018, 14:48:56 PM

Quote from: DAYUMson on September 27, 2018, 15:57:53 PM

There is no single "do it all" boat.

Are you more interested in floating rivers or fishing lakes?

I fish mostly rivers

Then again i dont have a boat to fish a lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

streamereater_101691

Flycraft has small tubes and narrow. Not something you want if you hit some bigger water. Also being that its a multiple piece frame, it will flex. Period.  Smithfly is ok, but I was not impressed with the white water ability being it has very little dead rise. It will take on water on a class I-II rapid easy. Hooligan and hooligan xl are heavier, but a longer lasting/better built boat. Trying to dodge a trailer is nonsense. You need one. Breaking down a raft every time you want to float will get old and time consuming.


Dougfish

Go big or go home.
Hooligan or a larger beast.
Durability beats manueverability?
Get a canoe for stillwater." class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on September 28, 2018, 18:07:51 PM

Flycraft has small tubes and narrow. Not something you want if you hit some bigger water. Also being that its a multiple piece frame, it will flex. Period.  Smithfly is ok, but I was not impressed with the white water ability being it has very little dead rise. It will take on water on a class I-II rapid easy. Hooligan and hooligan xl are heavier, but a longer lasting/better built boat. Trying to dodge a trailer is nonsense. You need one. Breaking down a raft every time you want to float will get old and time consuming.

What white water are you hitting?

Good call about the trailer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishbug

Quote from: Dougfish on September 28, 2018, 18:16:47 PM

Go big or go home.
Hooligan or a larger beast.
Durability beats manueverability?
Get a canoe for stillwater." class="fancybox" data-fancybox="topic">" title="" alt="" width="800" height="600" class="bbc_img" loading="lazy">

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Maneuverability is a perk...

What you estimate your raft cost to build—-

I looked a piecing together a hooligan equivalent and i only saved ~$800. Lacked some finished features etc so decided to abort that plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Michael Toris

I have a two man too (Creek company). Pull it on a utility trailer (8X14). Fits great and you still have a utility trailer when you need to haul a load of wood.

For me, inflatables are the way to go. I fish bony rivers (the new primarily) and have fished it out of a 16' Jon most of my life. Knowing when you hit a rock, you simply slide off is a great ease of mind. Also, I have personally ran class iii's in mine, and had zero issues.

If you're interested in fishing rivers, an inflatable allows you to fish any river (no matter the water level). A Jon, under a skilled boatsman, allows the same, but the situation is much more tense.


Dougfish

Quote from: Fishbug on October 02, 2018, 21:51:28 PM

Maneuverability is a perk...

What you estimate your raft cost to build—-

I looked a piecing together a hooligan equivalent and i only saved ~$800. Lacked some finished features etc so decided to abort that plan

Mine is complicated. Blew up an existing bote and built this from old and new components. Did I save some monet? Sure.
Is it as refined as a mass produced, professionally engineered bote? No. Can I modify it and move oar towers and seats around, for example? Yes.
I'm a tinkerer. I'm happy.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Fishbug on October 02, 2018, 21:49:33 PM

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on September 28, 2018, 18:07:51 PM

Flycraft has small tubes and narrow. Not something you want if you hit some bigger water. Also being that its a multiple piece frame, it will flex. Period.  Smithfly is ok, but I was not impressed with the white water ability being it has very little dead rise. It will take on water on a class I-II rapid easy. Hooligan and hooligan xl are heavier, but a longer lasting/better built boat. Trying to dodge a trailer is nonsense. You need one. Breaking down a raft every time you want to float will get old and time consuming.

What white water are you hitting?

Good call about the trailer...

Smith, watauga, soho, new. There is a nice wave train on the soho at generation.

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave


#CommissionsEarned