News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Porcupines!

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, September 19, 2018, 08:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

2012 and 2013 mention of porcupines returning to WV -----

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/outdoors/porcupines-make-pointed-w-va-return/article_53a7db32-f500-5db1-af65-7620277c918e.html

And a 2014 article on their southern expansion ------

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/outdoors/2014/12/28/southward-bound-porcupines-common-northern-pennsylvania-mountains-are-expanding-their-range/stories/201412280119

The reason for my porcupine excitement is, earlier this summer my wife and I saw what we were sure was a young porcupine on the top of Back Creek mountain.  BUT, knowing my personal reluctance to believe anything without multiple pieces of solid evidence, I never mentioned it to anyone. 

Here is a photo of an acquaintance's pooch full of quills.  He lives on Rt 250 in West Augusta, VA.

Are porcupines expanding into our area?  I hope so; this gives me a chubbie!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Interesting.  Should provide an interesting dynamic to the already prevalent mountain lions in your area. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on September 19, 2018, 10:54:14 AM
https://www.blueridgewildlifectr.org/sites/default/files/Ridgeline/Ridgeline%20Issue%2025%20Winter%202015.pdf

Cool find, Big J.

Your article reinforces my skepticism on people seeing critters that really are not here, like mountain lions. 

A lonely porcupine gets hit on Rt 50 and now we have evidence.  Where the hell is the solid proof of lions in our expanse?  I continue to call bullshit on all the mountain lion sightings.     

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on September 19, 2018, 12:54:45 PM
Quote from: Big J on September 19, 2018, 10:54:14 AM
https://www.blueridgewildlifectr.org/sites/default/files/Ridgeline/Ridgeline%20Issue%2025%20Winter%202015.pdf

Cool find, Big J.

Your article reinforces my skepticism on people seeing critters that really are not here, like mountain lions. 

A lonely porcupine gets hit on Rt 50 and now we have evidence.  Where the hell is the solid proof of lions in our expanse?  I continue to call bullshit on all the mountain lion sightings.   

But, but, but....my sister's cousin's brother saw one and it was jet black and it screamed like a woman being raped!

I'm amazed at how many folks who have never seen a weasel, bobcat, mink, or other common animals, have seen three or four panthers.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

DRIFTS

Cool quills...now how to incorporate them into a fly?!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

jwgnc

They float well.  Used to extend the body of a brown drake.  It was popular in the 60s in Michigan
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

As for using the quills, search Vince Marinaro and porcupine quills; you'll find some cool Green Drake stuff.

Those damned mountain lions continue to miraculously appear to most every local around these parts.  Yesterday the community celebrated 40 years' service of the local volunteer fire department.  The Mrs and I became members in 2016, so we helped yesterday morning prepare for the afternoon event.  I broached the porcupine migration with the other volunteers --- bad move!!!!  The discussion almost immediately morphed into mountain lion sightings.  The bulk of the members claimed to have seen a lion – in the fields, perched on round hay roles, jumping fences, crossing the roads, resting in trees, etc.  Not one to shy from rising fecal bunkum, I was swift to disclose that I did not believe they saw a mountain lion.  Challenges flew my direction.  "So Hiner, what are people seeing?" to which I replied, "I have no fucking idea!!"  Then the most common of pro-lion arguments re-emerged, "If there are no mountain lions, THEN why is it illegal to kill one in this area?"  I tried to explain that just because it is illegal to kill a certain critter does not mean the critter is actually present at this point in time.  Then I strained to inform the feverish horde that the soft nervous tissue in their skull was the most complex, fucked-up organ in the human body.  I don't believe I persuaded nary a one of them, but they remain my pals.   

itieuglyflies

If any of you gents would like some porcupine quills for fly tying , I have a bunch. They were given to me from a Bath Co. friend that said he pulled them out of the ass of a very angry mountain lion.

Dougfish

Quote from: itieuglyflies on September 24, 2018, 10:45:24 AM
If any of you gents would like some porcupine quills for fly tying , I have a bunch. They were given to me from a Bath Co. friend that said he pulled them out of the ass of a very angry mountain lion.

:laugh:  bd;0  0:0
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

DRIFTS

Quote from: itieuglyflies on September 24, 2018, 10:45:24 AM
Funny shit rite there...Back in nineteen and seventy six, we had cougars on our property in Bedford Co. Va. Raising hell that summer...game warden said" ain't no way "...however,  my brother and I  made plaster of paris, or some shit like that of the prints...very big, very big! They scratched the pine trees about five or six feet up as i recall...with sap running out... just like my kitty tears the shit out of my favorite   chair, screamed in the night and my parents and us chillens stayed inside. My mom picked us up at the bus stop, as we had about a quarter mile walk to the house that summer, and my parents   strayed inside instead of watching the sunset...things just didn't add up, but even my parents were scared after all howls and yells along with the sighting of two big cats walking almost side by side down in the pasture me and my brother saw...but they aren't here, right!?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on September 24, 2018, 09:55:14 AM
As for using the quills, search Vince Marinaro and porcupine quills; you'll find some cool Green Drake stuff.

Those damned mountain lions continue to miraculously appear to most every local around these parts.  Yesterday the community celebrated 40 years' service of the local volunteer fire department.  The Mrs and I became members in 2016, so we helped yesterday morning prepare for the afternoon event.  I broached the porcupine migration with the other volunteers --- bad move!!!!  The discussion almost immediately morphed into mountain lion sightings.  The bulk of the members claimed to have seen a lion – in the fields, perched on round hay roles, jumping fences, crossing the roads, resting in trees, etc.  Not one to shy from rising fecal bunkum, I was swift to disclose that I did not believe they saw a mountain lion.  Challenges flew my direction.  "So Hiner, what are people seeing?" to which I replied, "I have no fucking idea!!"  Then the most common of pro-lion arguments re-emerged, "If there are no mountain lions, THEN why is it illegal to kill one in this area?"  I tried to explain that just because it is illegal to kill a certain critter does not mean the critter is actually present at this point in time.  Then I strained to inform the feverish horde that the soft nervous tissue in their skull was the most complex, fucked-up organ in the human body.  I don't believe I persuaded nary a one of them, but they remain my pals.   

Welp, on the day I proposed to my wife...the same day I was grazed by a massive falling widowmaker hemlock tree that almost killed me, I came upon an animal that I still cannot identify.  It was shaped like a weasel/skunk and black, but appeared to be about 50 pounds.  While a 70 beaver pound crossing a trail can take one's breath away, this was no beaver.  I will die not knowing what the hell I saw.

I remember being completely freaked out watching an otter head emerge slow in the middle of a pool in the Neuse River for the first time in 1988.  Damned otter head looked like a baby human head coated with black axl grease.  Took me 15 years to confirm what the critter was.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: DRIFTS on September 24, 2018, 17:01:44 PM
Back in nineteen and seventy six, we had cougars on our property in Bedford Co. Va. Raising hell that summer...game warden said" ain't no way "...however,  my brother and I  made plaster of paris, or some shit like that of the prints...very big, very big! They scratched the pine trees about five or six feet up as i recall...with sap running out... just like my kitty tears the shit out of my favorite   chair, screamed in the night and my parents and us chillens stayed inside. My mom picked us up at the bus stop, as we had about a quarter mile walk to the house that summer, and my parents   strayed inside instead of watching the sunset...things just didn't add up, but even my parents were scared after all howls and yells along with the sighting of two big cats walking almost side by side down in the pasture me and my brother saw...but they aren't here, right!?

Alcohol has one hell of a physiological and psychosomatic effect on young boys, but I don't blame you for indulging.  If I was forced to ride the bus and go to school in the "summer" as you stated, then I'd likely drink as well. 

My wife grew up in Bedford County.  I am sure what you and your family saw and heard back in the 1970s were some of her peculiar relatives.  I've seen many of them walk on all fours, shriek and howl at the moon, scratch trees, and run from any dog.

To answer your question, "....   they aren't here, right!?"  Correct, they are not here, and they were not in Bedford County in the 70s.

Beetle

Speaking of rare sightings, I bumped into our fearless leader at the doctor's office.     He is well and in good spirits despite some heavy lifting on the personal front.

I feel like a fall camping trip would do us all some good.     Grindstone anyone?

Big J

Who all would be free a mid October weekend?