News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unknown home waters

Started by hcrum87hc, September 04, 2018, 09:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcrum87hc

Being a South Carolinian, I've always grown up with a stigma against trout fishing in my home state.  In my mind everything available near home were large, roadside rivers stocked in the colder months and there were no viable wild drainages off the beaten path.  Due to this, I always travel to western NC for my mountain fishing.  Boy was I wrong.  I discovered a great resource provided by a public agency recently that has opened my eyes to some of the great wild mountain resources our state has.  My friend and I had Labor Day off, but not a ton of time, so we decided to explore one of these wild rivers closer to home.

In short, there was a lot of walking, climbing, and more fish than we could count.  We had equal success on the dry and the dropper.  Every hole had at least one or two that would take, and we ended up having a great day despite a disheartening start, which is too long of a story to tell and not very interesting, regardless.   

There were a lot of these guys, which was heartening for the future of this fishery.  They sure were feisty.  Everything hit hard and fast.

I took this from the top of a waterfall I climbed up after fishing the few holes below.  The following picture was taken by my friend from the bottom.

These two holes and the ones directly downstream gave up our two biggest of the day and numerous others.

After climbing to the top of these falls, the river got much flatter and tighter, but still produced well.

I'm still feeling the hike back up to the truck and the rock climbing today, but it was well worth it.  I love fishing those high elevation NC streams, but I'm looking forward to exploring more of our local waters.

Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

There will probably be a few guys upset by the speaking of SC wild trout waters on here.  :laugh: Not talked about a lot.  Pretty water  /'/

rbphoto

QuoteBeing a South Carolinian, I've always grown up with a stigma against trout fishing in my home state.  In my mind everything available near home were large, roadside rivers stocked in the colder months and there were no viable wild drainages off the beaten path.  Due to this, I always travel to western NC for my mountain fishing.  Boy was I wrong.  I discovered a great resource provided by a public agency recently that has opened my eyes to some of the great wild mountain resources our state has.  My friend and I had Labor Day off, but not a ton of time, so we decided to explore one of these wild rivers closer to home.

In short, there was a lot of walking, climbing, and more fish than we could count.  We had equal success on the dry and the dropper.  Every hole had at least one or two that would take, and we ended up having a great day despite a disheartening start, which is too long of a story to tell and not very interesting, regardless.   

There were a lot of these guys, which was heartening for the future of this fishery.  They sure were feisty.  Everything hit hard and fast.

Quote from: Big J on September 04, 2018, 09:44:39 AM
There will probably be a few guys upset by the speaking of SC wild trout waters on here.  :laugh: Not talked about a lot.  Pretty water  /'/

There are no secret trout waters in SC, just hard to access waters if you want to find "wild" fish. 

Looks like your legs discovered the "hard to access" part.

Nice fish, good hike.  Glad you got to share it with a friend.

Big J, SC wild trout waters aren't talked about by a lot of guys lot because there are not a lot of either . . .

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Dougfish

Good on ya!

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Nice rainbows and a pretty stream. SC, eh? I never would've guessed.  'c;

Yallerhammer

Good looking water and fishes!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff