Return to the stonefly "long"

Started by buddy_25_99, July 23, 2017, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddy_25_99

Me and my dad made the trip back to stonefly in twin bridges Montana. The level of excitement landing at Bozeman airport is unreal. which looks more like a huge ass log cabin. Feeling giddy almost like a little kid. We made the hour and a half ride up to twin bridges. Pulling in to stonefly you almost instantly feel at home. It just has one of those atmosphere you almost can't explain. On top of knowing the next 4 days you only have to fish, eat and drink. All the while floating down amazing rivers. Throwing the liquor on the bar, beer in the cooler, and shit in the room. We grab our rods and head out to the ruby. With only an hour and a half to fish before dinner which you don't want to miss out there.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Not long in to it. Fish on a beautiful 14 inch brown. Shortly after my dad lands one too. Off to a great start!!! We hurry back not to miss dinner

Started off with what I think was some kinda spicy pork salad. This stuff had a little but of a tang to you with such a good flavor.

Followed by lasagna that was so good you would think it was actually invented in Montana. After I grab a jack and coke to go and we walk down to the beaver head which flows right behind it. Hopeful for a little dry fly action, but the only thing biting was mosquitos. They didn't give a damn about bug spray either. I think they was just catching a buzz and it made them hungrier. So after feasting, being feasted on, and traveling all day we call it a night.

Maddison 1:
Ryan took us way up high on the Maddison. I was super excited Ryan is a producer on the Maddison. I wish so bad I had my phone out and ready on the ride up we see a few cars randomly pulled over. Looking pasted them to see what they are looking at. There is roughly 10 or 12 fox chasing each other and playing. Amazing site that I'll for sure always have a memory of. We stop in a little town to run in to a fly shop. Which I personally love to go in and look.

Finally getting to our destination which was named windy point. We was not going to be let down. We had a nice steady breeze of about 20 25 mph winds with gust well over 30. Ryan got a work out trying to slow the boat down. The scenery is unbelievable though. You can smell the pines in the air it smells so clean.

Fishing was tough to say the least. We dead drifted no indicator between current and insane wind blowing the boat and fly line. A good drift wasn't easy to make happen.

This would pose to be one of our slower days of fishing but still hooking up/landing enough to keep us occupied. Dad landing a nice brown.

Maddison redemption:

Making the trip back up the river. Started an access down from windy point. We was in for a beautiful day

But not just a beautiful day. Like I said Ryan is a producer on the Madison. We got a nice hatch of golden stone flys.

. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

And we went to work!

Even catching them two at a time. We caught some fish there wasn't a dull moment that didn't have some action. It was an amazing day. Until dinner and their cook Adam ruined steak for me forever. He made something called wagon wheel steak I think it was called. Got the meat from "his guy" it was so tender and seasoned to perfection. It was a surreal kinda day almost like a dream.

Beaver head:

And we was going down with a scientist of this river. I bet Gary has more logged hours on the beaver head than any one in Montana. To say the least this man knows his shit. He is educational and he catches fish. As we put the boat in he rigs me up and says go ahead and hit that riffle and catch one real quick. Sure enough second drift fish on.  Once again I knew Gary wouldn't disappoint. Dude really is a genius of trout around there. He has a gift.

We caught so many fish and quality fish. That night Gary rod one of his hot rods back down to the stone fly and show us. Also broke he rule of telling us where we was going. He said he had a treat for us.

Jefferson:

I was super excited. I hadn't seen this river yet. The year before it was already closed due to heat and low water. The fishing was good, but the views was unreal we was floating around the Luis and Clark caverns. Wow is all I can say I actually got goosebumps floating down threw there.

Gary is a master mind of trout he put us on quite a few fish. But honestly I understand what he ment by he had a treat. The fishing was secondary. Numerous time Gary would yell hit hit!!! And I'm like a toddler playing out field in T ball. I'm just looking around in amazement. This day just did something good for my mind.

Montana is an amazing experience. Stonefly really knows how to make it an experience. Rooster has got an amazing program there. Leaving a vacation from there is so hard. If I die I hope that is my heaven just floating rivers of Montana. I got the opportunity to fish with Ryan and Gary, but I also got to meet a lot of the guides. Rooster has got a deep roster of fish catching people. They all are such good people too. Hanging out with them by the fire at night. It really is an all around experience. I also got to meet twin bridges was simi guessing it was him. But didn't find out for sure till my last day. It was very nice meeting you. We didn't take a ton of fish pics due to the heat. We shook off what we could. I really admire Montanas love for their wild life.   

Lots of cold drinks, tons of wild trout, great company, and unbelievable food. I can't wait till the day I can make it back out there. It's an experience!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutfanatic

That's good stuff right there airborne.

Dee-Vo

Bout time you posted this. Can't wait to get out there one of these days. Hell of a report. Thanks for sharing.

Do people go out there in the colder months as much as the warmer ones?

buddy_25_99

Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 23, 2017, 11:41:32 AM
Bout time you posted this. Can't wait to get out there one of these days. Hell of a report. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think it's a lot but they run people on the river threw November. But it next level cold.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: buddy_25_99 on July 23, 2017, 11:44:12 AM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 23, 2017, 11:41:32 AM

I don't think it's a lot but they run people on the river threw November. But it next level cold.

They close after October. Scratch the November idea.

Rhody

Great looking trip!
I love the Ruby and the Big Hole, I've had the pleasure and honor of getting guided by Twin Bridges himself and those are some great places to fish!

Stonefly is top notch on all counts!
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Dougfish

Sweet experience, fer sure.  bd;0
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Betagan