News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Dry Fly Talk

Started by Dee-Vo, July 04, 2018, 10:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

All evening and this morning I reminisce about a fish from yesterday. A nice brookie (I'm pretty sure) that I would put in the 10"+ category. Can't get the fish out of my mind.

I've been trying to fish dries more often than streamers or nymphs lately. Action is super when they take the fly and I've learned a lot about where I can fish dry flies effectively.

I've also learned about the different ways trout take dry flies and inspect them and also at times turn them down.

Yesterday, a nice dark, secluded run in a small stream. I was attempting to help a fellow catch a trout that had never done so. I cast this nymph with an indicator into the run as I was teaching him the basics. This nice fish comes up behind it with its mouth wide open and slowly sticks it's entire head out and probably 4 inches of its body as well. Slowly it goes sideways toward the indicator and sort of mouths it and then swims back down slowly. I turned around and was like, holy shit.

I try a few more drifts then change to an egg pattern that looked like the indicator. No luck.

I tie on a large hopper and after a few casts the fish slowly follows the fly and barely mouths the back end of it and turns me down and swims back down lazily. I kept trying and no luck. I even tried a small streamer after this.

I can't shake that scene. It was so cool but aggravating. I'm assuming that large fish was a master at what it was doing?

Thoughts about dry fly fishing and takes like this? Advice? This was one of the cooler experiences I've had with trout.

I'll be back for that fish!

Stone-Man

Of course,this has happened to all of us. Usually when one inspects my bug and then swims away ,I tie on another bug and wait at least 5 minutes  B/4 Throwing again. I have caught numerous fish by waiting a spell and throwing a different bug

JT

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Stone-Man on July 04, 2018, 11:25:47 AM
Of course,this has happened to all of us. Usually when one inspects my bug and then swims away ,I tie on another bug and wait at least 5 minutes  B/4 Throwing again. I have caught numerous fish by waiting a spell and throwing a different bug

JT

Can't wait to get back at that fish. I just couldn't believe how slow and how far up out of the water he came and just sort of lazily sipped at the fly and slowly went back down. That's a turn on.

Woolly Bugger

Something gaudy like a royal wulff, royal coachman or as simple as a Female Adams... 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Neversink Caddis, Stimulator. Sometimes small, sometimes large. Ants and beetles, too.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Gawd, no matter how many times it happens, it always pisses me off when a good fish takes the indicator.  b';

The Dude

Live bait

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

ryguy

I've been there, and will echo the black ant idea.  Usually a fish that has taken a fly but not hooked or spooked will come back to the table in not a long period of time(30 mins maybe?).  At that point it's just a waiting game.  I'd tie on a smaller fly and find a nice spot to sit.

Michael Toris

Sparsely tied yellow sallie dry in a #14. Small yellow stones are one of the only reliable summer hatch in our area.

Like this, but a little more sparse and less red on the ass.

Dee-Vo

The feedback is appreciated.

Quote from: DAYUMson on July 04, 2018, 21:51:06 PM
Sparsely tied yellow sallie dry in a #14. Small yellow stones are one of the only reliable summer hatch in our area.

Whatcha think?

Fishbug

My favorite dry for searching/blind casting is a stimulator.

The traditional orange/brown is the goto. Sz 14/16

Michael Toris

Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 05, 2018, 10:42:12 AM

Whatcha think?
Too yellow and fuzzy. It's hard to find a good sallie from a flyshop. All will work w/o a doubt tho; we are getting technical for a non-technical fish.

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-gasoline-fly-patterns/10-yellow-sally-fly-patterns-that-i-love/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Quote from: DAYUMson on July 06, 2018, 07:54:38 AM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 05, 2018, 10:42:12 AM

Whatcha think?
Too yellow and fuzzy. It's hard to find a good sallie from a flyshop. All will work w/o a doubt tho; we are getting technical for a non-technical fish.

Technicalities will get ya every time, fam.