News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Post-flood Exploration

Started by Yallerhammer, June 04, 2018, 20:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

It's soggy, folks. We've had horrible floods here the last couple weeks. People have died and been evacuated. Still flood warnings out in neighboring counties. I sprouted vestigial gills.

With the waters finally receding, I decided to head into one of my favorite places to see how it fared through all the rain.

Lots of freshly-sawn fallen trees on the way in.

Samsquamch tried to steal my biscuit. I had to rough-talk him.

This feller had a nice paintbrush on him:

The main creek was very high. Un-wade-able. I broke out the 7-weight and a big streamer and hit it in a few spots from the bank. Had a couple very nice browns follow, and hooked a decent one about 13"-14", but couldn't seal the deal. Said hell with it, too much current , too much water. Need to hike back into smaller water.

Good weather for fungi:

Got to the "smaller" water. It was very high. This stream that is usually ankle-deep to knee-deep were ass-deep to chest-deep and moving rapidly in a series of standing waves. Un-cross-able in most spots.

Hit some slack spots behind big rocks and stuff that I could get to. First three fish got my slam taken care of. That doesn't happen very often:

That speck was 9" on the tape, not my pecker.

Still too much water to fish worth a damn.
Went on up to where it started splitting.

Finally got into some water that although high, was wade-able and fish-able.

Caught a few more of these:

Caught ten assloads of these:

And a considerable number of these:

I was having fun, but wading this high stuff and scrambling over cliffs and stuff to get around the stuff that was too deep to wade was whupping my ass. I was about 2 1/2 miles back in when it started thundering. I got the hell out of there.

Anyway, looks like the fish are still there. Looking forward to normal flows again at some point.

Fin.

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

itieuglyflies

Good stuff....... nothing wrong with that outing and a slam to make it sweeter. It will stop raining every other day sometime soon (we hope)

BrookieHunter

Damn, those are some good results after the monsoon we have had lately.

Al

bd;0 'c; bd;0 'c; bd;0 'c;  Very well done. Reminds me of the adventurous spirit I had many years ago - I still have it but the body says "hell no"  b';

Dougfish

Sweet efforting! And fish.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Yallerhammer

I'm expecting a 12" speck out of this watershed sometime in the fairly near future.

Phil

Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 06, 2018, 18:02:42 PM
I'm expecting a 12" speck out of this watershed sometime in the fairly near future.

<Perking up at this>

Edit -- BTW, I hate what happened to the lead singer of that band.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Phil on June 06, 2018, 18:51:36 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 06, 2018, 18:02:42 PM

<Perking up at this>

Edit -- BTW, I hate what happened to the lead singer of that band.

Yep, that was rough. Last I saw, he was still in pretty rough shape.

Dee-Vo

Another great report.

I'll have to run a few creek names that I have on my list by you in a couple months when I venture back up your way in the fall. Same plan as last year, however, I hope the rain will let us fish normal water levels this go around. Maybe we can orchestrate a trip one of the days we're up there. Rock on.

Yallerhammer

Yeah, we gotta hook up and fling a fly.

joe friday

Good karma for the effort you put in...well rewarded. Dang good trip, I'd  say.