News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Rock hoppin

Started by hcrum87hc, June 29, 2018, 11:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcrum87hc

I decided last week that I was going fishing on my birthday yesterday, come hell or high water.  Thankfully, my friend, who is a new father, was able to get away for the first time since his son was born 6 weeks ago, so he elected to join me.  Since it's summer, I wanted to hit one of the higher brookie streams that I haven't had the pleasure of fishing before, and that's just what we did.  Unfortunately, the 20% chance of rain turned into a 100% chance of rain all morning until about 10:30.  We tried to wait it out in the truck for a while, but eventually said screw it and started the trek down, way down, to the river.  Due to the unmarked trails, we ended up taking the wrong trail and had to bushwhack a bit down to the river.  Once we got our bearings for the return trip up, we started fishing.  Fish 1, 2, and 3 came out of the first three holes, so we figured we would be on the money most of the day, but that wasn't to be.  We did end up with 11 total and missed at least 3 or 4 each.  Most hit the dry, but the big one hit the worm dropper.  My phone battery died early on, and my buddy didn't get a picture of any of his fish, so sorry for the lack of fish pictures.  I did land my largest wild brookie to date, however, and I was sure he got a picture of it.  I've never had a brookie pull drag before this one.

Oh, I also caught my smallest brookie to date.

Most fish were about this size.

There's a gorge section to this river that we didn't have time to explore this trip, but we will definitely be targeting it at a later date.  There was much climbing and rock hopping throughout the day, and my now 31 year old body is feeling it this morning.  Happy Birthday to me.
Jeremiah 17:7

Dougfish

Dat last fish is thick.  0:0
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ryguy

Phil

The last brook pic is sweet indeed. Good fish!  'c;

Onslow

Solid brookie, pretty stream, but what's up with your username?  Gerald is such a fab name.

Woolly Bugger

Great Brookie reportage! Looks like it ended up being a grand day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Good lookin' fish and water! And, happy birthday. Now, wait until you add 20 more years to that 31. You're still wet behind the ears and have no idea at all what's coming later. :D
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

Got shoulders on 'im. Good 'urn.

Pansyman

You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.