News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin

Quote8 lb fleuro.

Bossman you're just asking for heartbreak (and lots of long lost departed flies). It's mostly 15lb fluoro for me. Occasionally ultra spooky fish in clear water might call for 12lb fluoro.   

Woolly Bugger

Went back again today, thought about getting some 12 lb leader, but went with the 8lb again as usual.

They were feeding and swimming in pairs, with some spawning activity. But I managed to get one to take the voodoo mule (I order them by the dozen)

You cannot view this attachment.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

I'll never understand these fish! I had one feeding 15' away, I cast and drug the fly over to the dinner plate 4 or five times, it just grazed around and finally spooked.

But when the do eat, hold on, cause they run hard! The one I caught continued to fight all the way to the net! 
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Since they opened up the spigot on the Smith, I went to the pond today— hooked one right off the bat, but it unbuttoned.

The hawk and the crow were going at it.

me -There's a season?

Dee-Vo

That app is great. It's the 'berries' -- I read that phrase in a book this morning. Anyone remember that saying? I don't, probably too young...

Woolly Bugger

Very difficult conditions this morning with an overcast sky. They're almost impossible to see. There were number of them feeling close to the bank. Several of them ignored me but I finally got one to eat and when I strips set, the fish took off and boom the line broke.  Switching to the Neil recommended 12 pound fluorocarbon. I also got carp blocked with two large mouth bass.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Went and got some 12 lb fluorocarbon and headed to the pond

DSFK
me -There's a season?

Fin

Quotegot some 12 lb fluorocarbon

'c;

I think the last time I broke off a carp was during the 2017 cicada hatch on Lake James. There were so many downed trees along that shoreline you were forced to clamp down the drag or kiss 'em goodbye!

I have however straightened some hooks trying to stop a long run with eminent danger ahead.

trout-r-us

Riding around up here in Chalfont, PA at Peace Valley Park. Here on a funeral trip, so no rods handy.
Thought of you carpy guys when a walk on the bridge over the headwaters reveals dozens of the old rubber lipped denizens. They were jumpin', muddin', and just lounging. Some real big boys and girls.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

And that's the takeaway from today.

Sure I had my shots, you married guys will know what it's like to be denied!
me -There's a season?

dhjunkie

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 02, 2023, 14:00:25 PMYou cannot view this attachment.

And that's the takeaway from today.

Sure I had my shots, you married guys will know what it's like to be denied!
oh yea"shot down in a blaze of glory "

Woolly Bugger

Cabin fever and a break in the weather led me to the carp pond. It was heavily overcast and the fish were very difficult to see. A number were feeding close to the band, but when you can't see them it's very difficult to catch them. Some even spooked before I could get off a cast. As I walked around I saw the mud plumes of a feeding carp, but my heart sank when I realized that it was the koi. This fish "appeared" 3 or 4 years ago, and has grown quite a bit. I've cast to it a hundred times, and all it has done is run away! I made a drag and drop cast and was stunned when it took the fly.

It fought hard and made several good runs before capitulating.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

and the bluebirds have another clutch...

me -There's a season?

itieuglyflies

That fish looks like it has been dead about a week or so.....

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on June 23, 2023, 17:21:11 PMThat fish looks like it has been dead about a week or so.....

pound for pound the hardest fighter of all the pond carp I've caught.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

DIY Fly Fishing for Carp: It's Popularity has Grown for a Reason
Texas Bonefish, River Rabbits, Swamp Donkeys, whatever you call them, they will earn your respect.

Fly fishing for carp is more hunting than fishing. It is a visual pursuit of a fish that is incredibly wary, surprisingly strong, and, luckily for the fly fisherman, readily accessible.

Carp like to feed in extremely shallow waters, which presents the angler with the opportunity to sight fish for this unique and often misunderstood species. An angler shouldn't sell them short, though; they will frustrate you with their savvy and challenge you with their strength.

Carp's Undeserved Bad Reputation
Common carp were introduced to America in the mid-1800s to be farmed for food due to their prime table fare in Europe. However, that doesn't mean all carp taste good. Their flavor has a direct correlation to their diet and the quality of the water they come out of. Carp possess a fast growth rate and a primitive air bladder, allowing them to live in 'less than ideal' environments. Because of this, in some circles, the carp has the reputation as a 'trash fish,' but don't be so quick to judge. Their wariness, feeding behavior, and powerful runs when hooked make them a fun and worthy fish to pursue with the fly rod.

https://www.mensjournal.com/pursuits/the-endless-season/diy-fly-fishing-for-carp-popularity-has-grown-bryson7
me -There's a season?