News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout Maharishi

Looks like a waste of some good pineapple, shrimp, and mud bugs.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

I walked around the pond today, had a couple of shots at cruisers but no luck. Ran into another carp junkie. Aaron from WS has caught several of the SECCA carps.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dee-Vo

I've gained access to a pond with carp. I spent Saturday late evening trying to catch one. No success still...

The hunt continues.

I did catch a few bass, however.

Woolly Bugger

First carp of '23, a nice mirror that ran me to the backing on the 5wt with a click and pawl CFO

I'll have to start taking the net, if I want to get photos...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

With the sunny skies I thought it would be a good day to catch another carp. Well, things didn't start off great, the wind blew the rod and reel of the roof of the car, putting a little ding in the rim. Now it hits the line guard on every revolution and probable would cause a light tippet to break if the fish started pulling line. I'm going to send it to orvis and have them true the spool.

I had  couple of shots at feeding carp but the wind didn't help my chances any and I finally gave up after an hour or so without any luck.

Edit: once I took the spool of the reel, I realize that I could easily make the repair myself. All good now!

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Wicked wind protected the carp today. Work is being done below the damn dam clearing out the bamboo.

And the state coughed up the money to get a tree removed from the pond opening up a big flat where carp have been caught before.

You cannot view this attachment.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

That's the way to do it!

Nice sunny day not too windy I have a carp feeding close to shore!

plus a couple of pune bass.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Another day, another carp!

"Watch the top knot," is what Bob White always says.

Caught a big ole mirror carp and it put up a good fight but an amorous carp followed it tenaciously. After a couple of runs I had the net at the ready the mirror and it's friend swam into the net, but I needed to grab the leader before scooping one or both fish up in the net. As I held on to the fly line the carp thrashed and pulled and the perfection loop knot popped and both fish swam away!

I had broken off earlier and when replacing the leader with 3x fluoro I briefly considered tying a figure 8 loop, which is my goto carp knot, but opted for the simple perfection loop. Would that knot have held?

I had several other opportunities but I only hooked that one fish.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The carp areout, cruising around. There are some swimming in pairs and triples in pre-spawn activity. None of them wanted anything to do with my fly but I continue to fish in hopes that one of them was the village idiot after a while I thought that I might be the village idiot and then things came together and I found one that was feeding and he took the fly.

I gave them a rest for a bit and then went after them again, refusals and frustration, then I foul hooked one and I let it run 20 yards before putting on the breaks. The fly popped off the leader and I had to retie. Then I scouted the flats area looking for more feeders. There were a couple of spin anglers on the other side and one called out, "Bossman, are you trying to catch the carp"? "I am catching them," I replied. "What are you using?" "A fly" "What?" "A fly, a carp fly, fur, feathers, and rubber." 'How big was it?' "Five pounds" " He asked again, holding out his hands, and I had to show him that it was about two feet long.

I got a kick out of the "Bossman" monicker.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The koi in the pond was the only one feeding close to the bank, but this guy won't take my fly. I had numerous shots at it, putting the fly right in the dinner plate only to have it ignored.

It was cloudy and difficult to see them but I finally targeted a mirror that was feeding and I had a good fight brining it to the net.

The sun is out now but the wind has picked up.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Another day, another carp...

still waiting on the Smith to drop down to the normal flow 
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Carp are in full on orgy spawn mode — doubtful I will be able to catch one today.

A few bass and bream were caught.

Back to the Smith tomorrow  d:b
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

It was a disastrous day at the pond. I was sitting in the parking lot getting ready to rig the rod for carp when I got a call from Riverbum who said he'd be over after a showing. I tied up a new leader out oa eight pound fleuro using a figure eight loop knot and tied on a voodoo mule.

There were carp feeding and I had a couple of good shots that didn't pan out. Finally I got one to eat and strip set the hook the carp tore off and the top kont broke! Damn it! WTF! I was dismayed that the knot failed.

As I sat on a bench tying a new leader, I began to doubt the strength of this knot on 8 lb fleuro. I even checked the vidoe, just to make sure I wasn't fucking it up. I tied it again and when I pulled tight to test its strength, it snapped, well damn. I guess I'll save that knot for heavier tippet. As I tied on another voodoo mule, the RiverBum showed up and was making some cast to the carp feeding in the flats.

He had some shots but they were mostly 30 to 40 feet out, which is a low percentage game. We solved none on the world's problems as we walked the bank looking for feeders. The bum got snagged on a bank bush and attempted to rip the fly out and the rod snapped! A TFO 7wt. That signaled that it was tiem to go. I made a couple of more cast to a feeding carp and thought I had an eat, but ended up with nothing.

me -There's a season?

Fin

The Voodoo Mule is the shizzzz. Someone needs to tie up a larger version for smallies. Would be the fly fishermen's equivalent of the Ned rig.