Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCsporksman

You live by the pond you die by the pond...leave dem goldfish alone

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Carp Sex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

Carp spawning is usually an active affair as often several males chase a female into shallow water bumping her sides and fertilizing eggs as they go. From many years of bow fishing this usually occurred when spring water temps hit 66-68 degrees. Perhaps the fish in your NC pond are old like me and a bit subdued!

BTW- now at you are a carp man are you getting rid of your trout gear?

Woolly Bugger

One would think that casting into a pod of spawning carp that you would at least be able to snag one once in a while. Today there were five to eight pods with as many as eight carp in each. Also many cruising fish that were occasionally gulping on the surface  and a few that were actually feeding on the bottom. My best shot came first thing with a carp with its tail on the bank and its head in about a foot and a half of water, but my first cast got hung on an overhead branch and the carp skedaddled away. After that I figured that just about every carp in the pond was too busy getting it on to bother feeding. It's my understanding that the will be ravenous after the spawn is finished. Also read that they can spawn multiple times from June through August.

Needed the 10 wt to land this monster!
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

itieuglyflies

You may want to try a cigarette butt fly.......I hear they like a smoke after they spawn

NCsporksman

#mystrangeaddiction

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Since I can't catch them I switched to wildlife photography

Green Heron

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I call this one #8

I had one good up close shot at a feeding fish with its mouth fading the bank .. perfect cast but he fish must have hit the leader leader and shot off into the deeper water.

There was a large pod of carp conjugating on the far side of the pond maybe 160 feet across from where I was standing. I walked the bank and finally reeled in and was ready to go but decided to take one last look at the other end of the pond. The spawn pod was now 50 feet away and I got off three cast to it but nobody was interested. Two fish left and were cruising along at a good pace. I fired off a cast and was dragging the fly into their path when one of the fish took the fly. I had most of the fly line in the stripping basket and the fish's first run took all of it and 4 or five yards of backing. As I played to fish back in it ran for the only cover in he middle of the pond and tried to wrap up around it. Fortunately the leader and knots held and it was able to clear the fish and bring it to shore. I was a bit surprised at the small size of the fish but still admired its strength. 

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The rains overnight and this morning appear to have put the kabash on the spawning activity, but only a few carp showed themselves this afternoon and only two of those were in acceptable casting positions. No carp were harmed today. 

me -There's a season?

BRFFF

All I can say is you won't ever catch a carp if you don't go hunting them. I check the pond just about everyday, usually in the morning for about an hour.  The other day after the rain I saw several of the largest ones feeding up against the bank. But it was difficult to see exactly where their head was. I hd a bunch of really good shots but no hookups.

They are still spawning and don't have much interest in eating a fly. The pond is up about 6" and visibility is poor. On the bright side I've cast a 10 wt just about every day.

BRFFF

Looks like the spawning is coming to an end and I am seeing more tailing carp. Visibility is still pathetic at about 6 inches. Had halfway decent shots at five or six of the bastards today.. sooner or later I will catch another one of them 

Find of the day a deceased Dobsonfly

Woolly Bugger

so the other day I go to visit my pond for an hour and as I'm walking down the bank I see some ripples in the water. I approach slowly and see one of the bigger gals feeding on the bank, I unhood the fly from a guide and pull some line off the reel. I look for the fish and it has turned 90 degrees and moved three feet down. I cast as draw the fly in and watch it slowly sink to intercept the feeding fish somewhere in the opaque depth of the muddy water. No dice, fish turns 180 and slowly swims away. I cast again, the shadow of the line spooks the carp and off she goes...

one of these days I'll hook another one... no daisy chain spawners sighted -- maybe there all off smoking cigs now....
me -There's a season?

BRFFF

The spawn is winding down and there are plenty of carp feeding on the bank.. I hd a dozen good opportunities today but alas I came up with naught.

Fin

Failure + Frustration + Fun = Carp Fishing