News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Carp unlimited

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 26, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I’m still struggling to catch a common carp out of the SECCA pond in WS. I’ve been by there four times this year and have only caught bass and bream. Every once in a while a carp will be mudding up close to the back, he only real opportunity to catch them as the visibility in the pond is zilch. I’ve had a few opportunities with fish 20 to 30 feet out but it was no go.

Yesterday as I walked in there was another long rod fisherman, someone about as crazy as me, fishing for the carp and damn if he didn’t hook one that was feeding along the bank.. he was using a mop fly but the small carp was too much fish for him and his 4 wt and he broke it off.

One day I will catch a common carp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

The mulberry hatch is about to start along the Roanoke. I'm tying some fruit flies.  V:;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

JMiller

Meh.
You'll get there.
There's a pretty big learning curve with carp, but then one day, they just start eating your flies.
Took me forever to get the first one.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Dougfish

If the rain stops and river goes down...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Phil

An old carp fanatic I knew told me carp flies work better if you spit tobacco juice on 'em....

itieuglyflies

Doug-
Mulberry flies look really good. As I recall there are also some white mulberries along the Roanoke  Additionally I found if the fish were not hot on the floating flies, tying some with weight making them sink was really good. With the  heavier flies they make a pronounced plop when they hit the water, this calls in ole rubber lips. You want a good plop on the water ( also with the floaters) but a slow sink rate. Creating a false "hatch" with a handful of berries really  gets them going once they have keyed in on berries. Our problem on the lower James is the large number of small blue catfish that also like the berries and they often beat the carp to the fly.

All of this is probably useless information......but take it for what it's worth.

Dougfish

Good points, Fred. Tied a few weighted ones. Will whip up some white ones, too.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

Carp are out today. Missed a couple in close then I saw this huge fish (over 3 feet) cruising in the middle of the lake... adrenaline started pumping. Blew a few shots then got my double haul working and shot out a near perfect cast fish on  strip set  felt the weight of the fish as it turned and then as I was clearing the line the hook popped out I was shaking for 10 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

dhjunkie

Congrats on getting one to eat.

Woolly Bugger

Had another eat the other day. Went back this morning and this happened

me -There's a season?

BrookieHunter

Hell yea Wooly, Carp for the win!! I don't have the attention span or focus for those bastards, even have some huge ones within five minutes of the house but just can't put in the time to catch them.

driver

My contribution to this thread.

Bout timr Wooly Man.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Big J

We all suck at carp.  This thread has one blurry carp picture and two pictures that aren't showing up.   d:b

jtdriver

Still fuckered?Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login