The Green Drake in Winston Salem is closing!

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 16, 2018, 11:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

30% off dog beds and everything else!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

I'll be damned. I never even made it in there.

Michael Toris

Maybe that's why they are closing Dee-Vo. Ever think about that? Huh? Have ya?
Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 16, 2018, 13:46:43 PM

Dee-Vo

Quote from: DAYUMson on May 16, 2018, 13:47:53 PM

Well, you may have a point there, Yumson. I may stop by there. Think that'll help the cause?

I hate to see anyone close up shop, even competitors. Sometimes it's just that time. I will say that I've spent a PILE of money on outdoor gear over the last many years — and I like buying where people act like they appreciate my business. The one time I spoke with a person there turned me off 110%. Not sure who the man was, but he lost that shop MANY dollars in sales.

I'm sure some people may not like the fly shop I deal with. But, he's always appeared grateful for my business.

Michael Toris

Who doesn't like Richard? He's great
Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 16, 2018, 13:49:15 PM

Well, you may have a point there, Yumson. I may stop by there. Think that'll help the cause?

I hate to see anyone close up shop, even competitors. Sometimes it's just that time. I will say that I've spent a PILE of money on outdoor gear over the last many years — and I like buying where people act like they appreciate my business. The one time I spoke with a person there turned me off 110%. Not sure who the man was, but he lost that shop MANY dollars in sales.

I'm sure some people may not like the fly shop I deal with. But, he's always appeared grateful for my business.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: DAYUMson on May 16, 2018, 14:53:26 PM
Who doesn't like Richard? He's great
Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 16, 2018, 13:49:15 PM

I think so. He's went far out of his way many times after hours or before so I could buy what I needed for the next day. Met me on stream to help me out once for free. Offered to meet me in the mountains multiple times to get me what I needed for a trip. I try to acknowledge this by returning there for business often.

Sad to see a shop going out, though. Maybe someone will buy it up and reopen?

Buy it, Dayumson. Do it.

driver

I stopped by Richard's shop once. There was a sign on the door "be right back" so i go dinner, still wasn't back.

I stopped in once before then  and he seemed like a nice guy.

As for owning a fly shop, thats a pipe dream. There is no way to compete with online retailers. It's impossible to make money in the piedmont. Especially when a WhOrvis comes to town. 

I could rant on this all day.. corporate bullshit, and McAmericans

Onslow

This is unfortunate.  I don't have time to drive to Statesville.  I cannot say I made the owner of the Green Drake any real dough, but he did have some nice ties available for those last minute emergencies.  The girdles with the almost iridescent green legs that served me so well came from there. 

Anyone who thinks they can own a flyshop in during this tight labor market when people are pulling 60+ hours a week are completely delusional.  Bring on a recession and we can all fish again!

NCsporksman

Are y'all talking about the green drake or Carolina Mountain Sports? Wtf is goin on in here

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

Quote from: NCsporksman on May 16, 2018, 21:35:17 PM
Are y'all talking about the green drake or Carolina Mountain Sports? Wtf is goin on in here

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's quite the conversation. I think we need to add more fly shops to the conundrum.

Big J

A fly shop is too small of a niche for none destination areas on east coast unless you are in a big city like Atlanta or New York.  Have to cover a couple outdoor niches if you want to do it right.  Lots of dinero to be able to do that too.  Outdoor sports and activities mean a lot of merchandise on the floor with slow inventory turnover.  I feel like a living can be made by this concept, but you'd work yourself to death trying to maintain.  I've kicked around the idea, but being on someone's payroll is the way to go if you want to fish. 

Grannyknot

PROTIP for dual niche stores.....anything combined with a Vape Shop will do well.
Some examples:
Beer & Vape
Lottery & Vape
Junkyard & Vape
Exotic Pets & Vape
Tatoo & Vape (low key this is the ticket to a life of luxury)
-Tennessee
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Big J

Quote from: Grannyknot on May 17, 2018, 09:07:09 AM
PROTIP for dual niche stores.....anything combined with a Vape Shop will do well.
Some examples:
Beer & Vape
Lottery & Vape
Junkyard & Vape
Exotic Pets & Vape
Tatoo & Vape (low key this is the ticket to a life of luxury)
-Tennessee

The thought of having to deal with people that vape on a daily basis sends shivers down my spine.  I know people say they would do anything for the right price, but I have some standards in life. 

Big J

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dee-Vo