Volunteers needed for Smith River Sampling

Started by Al, June 12, 2006, 08:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Mark your calendars to clear some free time from August 1st to August 3rd. Scott Smith, fisheries biologist from the Virginia DGIF along with several assistant biologists will be sampling the Smith River on Tuesday through Thursday,(Aug 1-3, 2006). They could use some volunteer help with processing the fish (netting, weighing, measuring, recording and releasing).

I have helped several times and can attest that in addition to being an eye opener, it is great fun. This is a great opportunity to ask  questions and learn a lot about the resource. If you would like to take an active roll with the shocking and netting you will need to bring chest waders. Trust me, there are several safeguards built into the system and you won't be electrocuted - even if you fall in, the worse that will happen is a good tingle (been there done that). If you're not comfortable being in the water during shocking, there are still plenty of places to help once the fish have been collected. You are even encouraged to just drop by to observe.

Scott will let us know as soon as he has the exact locations and times firmed up. I will post or forward additional information as I receive it. Unfortunately I will not be available to help on this one. I'll be thigh deep in one of Alaska's salmon streams, hopefully with steeply bent rod, tied to a 2-3 foot long salmon. (Hey, someone has to help the Alaskan tourism industry). ;D

Al

I heard from Scott Smith, VDGIF biologist today. He said they are definitely going to sample the Smith river during the 1-3 Aug time frame. He does not have a firm schedule of locations yet and will not have until they see what the generation schedule is (even VDGIF must adapt to the COE). If the normal afternoon generation schedule continues, he plans to be somewhere up near the dam at about 10:00am on Tuesday, Aug 1st. They will probably be at one of two locations. Look for several state owned pickups with a couple trailers at the place where the yellow stairs go down to the river by a landowners front yard or at the small open spot opposite where there is a small cabin with steep stairs.

The plan will be to hit one spot up near the dam prior to generation in the mornings and then move to a spot well down river ahead of the generation in the afternoons. They will be staying in the local area on Tuesday and Wensday evening so will be on the water Wed and Thurs morning at about 8:30am.

Other sampling spots that I am aware of are: Far end of field behind Mirror Factory; River in front of Bassett Library; Behind church with large parking lot at far end of Bassett village; Stanleytown Bridge; Section of river upstream of Fieldale Bridges; Koehler opposite Churches Chicken in the Basket.

Scott said he can always use some volunteer help and he eager to talk about the river.

I'll post again as soon as I hear anymore details.

Fire-Fly

Al i am hoping to come and help when i can just keep me posted.

Woolly Bugger

This is a great opportunity not only to help but if you can just get up there and see the amount of fish they shock up on a streach of the river...

Last year I took the kids up to watch and saw hundreds of fish! You'll be amazed!!!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Chaser

If you can attend I highly recommend it.  Just yesterday my son and I participated in a stream shocking in SNP.  He was amazed at the numbers and learned lots as he sorted out the various species into different buckets for counting.  In the 100 meter stretch on the first of three trips the total fish netted and counted was 1700.  :o I thnk we ended up shocking up 8 different species including the big fish of the day a 27 inch American Eel.

TC

flytyer

Hello everbody, it's been a while since I have posted over here, but i plan on being on the smith river thursday am to watch and help if needed. thanks for the post Al, thanks woolly for the site. larry